iPad Mini Price Range

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macnificant, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

With the new iPod touch selling for $299 what is your guess for the iPad Mini price range?

Will it be LTE or just wifi?

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Wifi

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I still think they will grab for the $299.99 price point to better compete with the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire.

Just because the iPod Touch is 299.99, that doesn't mean the iPad Mini cannot be priced the same. They are in different categories. Many people who can an iPod touch are looking for something portable for music with the capabilities of an iPhone (minus the phone part). They may have no interest in the iPad Mini.

Some will decide to get the iPad Mini instead of course. But either way, the sale is still going to Apple. Plus, the iPad Mini will still gain those customers interested in having a 7" tablet.

I am anxious to see what they are priced at.

4. SR45, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

1. WiFi only 8 GB .....$249.99

2. WiFi only 16 GB $299.99

3. WiFi only 32 GB $349.99

4. 4G with 16GB/GPS $399.99

5. 4G with 32 GB/GPS $449.99

Edited: Messed up with the storage from Ram to just GB

5. Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

You mean GB of storage right? :p Also, I'm sure they'll offer a 64 GB model too. That'd be great if they released it for $250, but 8 GB is just no good.

6. Luckybobby macrumors regular

Why do you think apple price something 4 times as big as the iPod touch the same? Don't just give me the lame excuse like, oh different needs or oh less memory. Apple likes to make a profit

7. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I agree with this. I said 349 since I feel as though apple has to add 50 dollars just out of principal.

iPad mini at 299, is an absolute steal. I'll buy 2.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So only $50 cheaper than the full sized iPad 2?

I'm thinking $299 16Gb WiFi:

1024x768 163dpi display
    A5, same as iPad 2 and new iPod touch
    Either same cameras as iPad 2 or same cameras as new iPod touch

As well as a more expensive model with LTE/GPS (on the normal iPad this adds $129).

9. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

My prediction

I'm going to guess:

No retina display and:
    16GB Wifi $299
    32GB Wifi $399
    64GB Wifi $499

Add $130 to each for the LTE version

OR

Retina display and add $50 to all the above prices, and drop the iPad 2 from the lineup.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple does like to make a profit. An iPad Mini though will probably cost them about the same in parts as an iPod touch.

The new iPod touch has a retina display using a cutting-edge in-cell touch sensor. It's the exact same screen, touch, and glass assembly that's in the flagship iPhone 5. The iPad Mini would most likely use a lower density 1024x768 display, the same pixel density as the iPhone 3GS. This should be a very cheap display for Apple.

The new iPod touch uses an HD front camera and a 5MP rear camera. I would expect the iPad Mini to use similar cameras to the iPad 2.

Remember that they're already selling the iPad 2 for $399 also, and have been for many months now (profit margins get bigger for Apple over time).

Retina display and better cameras seem like good upgrades for next years model once profit margins are a bit better.

11. Want300, Oct 3, 2012

Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I agree that they like to make a profit. At $299, they can easily make a huge profit.

My reasoning: They have proved with the regular iPad that they can be $100+ more than the competition and still own the market. With the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, they need to be at $299. Otherwise, what is the point. A lot of the reason the 7" market exists is price. I have 3 friends with a 7" tablet, each of them chose it because of price.

When I worked at Best Buy, most the people who were looking at alternatives to the iPad fell into two categories: A) Anti-Apple/Android User and B) Cheaper Alternative Seeker.

Also, they are different devices for different uses. Just like my iPhone is different from my iPad. Forever, I thought I didn't need/want an iPad because I had my iPhone and my MBP. Yet, I got one eventually and have no regrets. It was a great decision.

Again, referring back to Best Buy. The typical customer I sold an iPod Touch to was someone who either A) wanted an MP3 player with iPhone capabilities but did not want to pay the data charges for an iPhone or B)Wanted one for their kids. They were not interested in a Tablet.

The iPod Touch fits in your pocket, the iPad mini probably wont fit in many pockets. It also really wouldn't work out so good in an arm band for going to the gym or for a run. It will have less memory (starting at 8 or 16 GB). Using the iPhone 5 (or the iPad models) for reference, Apple considers stepping from 16 GB to 32 GB worth $100... And People are willing to pay for it. Why wouldn't that work here?

You cannot throw out perfectly reasonable arguments because you think they are "lame excuses".

It will be interesting to see how they work out the prices/options available when it is revealed (assuming it is of course)

----------

This is a really GOOD idea. They already offer the MBP and MBPr... They could do it for the iPad Mini... It would cause more fragmentation, but still nothing compared to what is seen on the Android Market.

I doubt they will do it. But that would be a great idea.

12. stuaz macrumors 6502

Hope it does have retina :(

13. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I do too. I would take an approach like the MBP and MBPr... Like KeepCalmPeople said.

Except, I would make the 4G/GPS option include the Retina display. Otherwise, you could end up with 12 different models (not even including different carrier versions).

So I would set it up like this:

$249 - 8 GB Wifi Only
    $299 - 16 GB Wifi Only
    $399 - 32 GB Wifi Only
    $499 - 64 GB Wifi Only

$479 - 16 GB Wifi, 4G, GPS, Retina
    $579 - 32 GB Wifi, 4G, GPS, Retina
    $679 - 64 GB Wifi, 4G, GPS, Retina

EDIT: Assuming of course that the production costs would allow it. We have the iPad 2 and iPad 3 offering Retina and non-retina, but they were released separately of course... but with the MBP, we saw they are willing to release each at the same time.

14. Muro, Oct 3, 2012

Muro macrumors 6502

15. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Yet another guessing game pricing thread. Jeez!

16. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Okay I want to play the guessing game...

I think Apple will surprise everyone with a low number.

iPad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi: $199
    iPad Mini 32GB Wi-Fi: $299
    iPad Mini 64GB Wi-Fi: $399

iPad Mini 16GB w/LTE: $249
    iPad Mini 32GB w/LTE: $349
    iPad Mini 64GB w/LTE: $449

If Apple REALLY wants to compete with the Kindle Fire, I think they have to start at that sub-200 price point. Their profit margin may not be super high for that low-end model, but they will bank on getting new people into the ecosystem and selling lots of the 32 & 64GB versions which cost hardly any extra to manufacture.

17. guineapig macrumors regular

You're right, an iPhone is sooo bigger than an iPad.

or

You're right, an iPhone is sooo cheaper than an iPad.

The point is, they're different products. Some people may be in doubt over one or the other, some just won't consider them alternatives to one another. Either way, their money goes to Apple.
    And you know what? Some people are just gonna buy them both!

18. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

I'm going to say $199 for the base model, then $50 or $100 for each additional storage capacity.

I'm guessing it does NOT have any sort of cellular radio built-in. They will position it as a companion to your iPhone (ie, if you're out and want data, tether it to your phone).

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sure, because the universe of people waiting for a sub-$200 iPad are precisely the kind of people who would buy into Apple's ecosystem of above-industry-average pricing. Apple's really not in the "loss-leader" school of sales.

20. hayden21 macrumors member

I think this puts an odd squeeze on the apple line up.

Currenty in the line up there is the iPod Touch, iPad 2, and then the New iPad

iPod Touch:
    32GB - $299.00
    64GB - $399.00

iPhone 5

iPad 2:
    16GB - $399.00 (WiFi)
    16GB - $529.00 (WiFi + 3G)

New iPad:
    16GB - $499.00
    16GB - $629.00
    32GB - $599.00
    32GB - $729.00
    64GB - $699.00
    64GB - $829.00

I just don't see where they add the price point to compete with the kindle fire, nook, nexus 7, & the galaxy tab 2 without pushing the marigins on its own product line up. With that said I think they start the price point at the 200-300 dollar price range for a low end 8-16 GB model. I also suspect they will leave out 3G/LTE support and only offer WiFi.

21. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Yup. Corrected. Thank you

Not sure a 64 GB will be offered for the Mini, but what do I know ? ;)

22. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I'm betting either 16GB only or 8GB/16GB. I bet no 32GB and for sure no 64GB. I think Apple will want to push those customers to the full size (and better profit margin) iPad 3.

I'll say $349 wifi and $429 cellular for a 16GB model. $299/$379 for an 8GB model.

And I suspect Apple will discontinue the 9.7" iPad 2 altogether.

23. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I don't see an 8gb iPad Mini happening. They don't even have an 8gb Nano available, so it wouldn't make sense to put out the IM with 8gb since Apps are going to eat up that storage pretty quickly. I'd say 16gb on the base model.

I can see them releasing it w/out a Retina Display, but judging by the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD, it seems almost like they would have to include it. Don't get me wrong, I'll be buying one either way, but to justify a higher price point (which is pretty likely), consumers want to see "HD" or "Retina Display" as part of the marketing and as part of the product.

So, pricing wise...I'd love to see the 16gb at $299 with Retina display. Tack on $100 per storage bump and $120 or so for 4G for each storage point. That puts the base model at $100 more than the 16gb KF HD, and 8gb Nexus 7, and with the parts pricing and manufacturing capability that Apple has, they can pump out millions of these for the holiday season and make a killing on each one. Also, I'm thinking 10/26 as the release date as their earnings call is the day prior to. I want to say there was a trend with earnings calls being 1 day prior to the launch of a major product, but I could be wrong.

24. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

You're saying that out of all of the people who would purchase a sub-$200 iPad, they wouldn't buy apps on the App Store, buy music in iTunes or books in the iBookstore? You think those users are just going to limit themselves to free apps, Pandora and ePub books? People aren't all so tech-savvy (and disciplined) that they would limit themselves to free content and avoid the impulse to buy that $0.99 app, $9.99 album or $7.99 book.

Then 12 months later that person suddenly realizes that they've spent a couple hundred bucks on Apple content and decides they might as well buy an iPhone.

I think you're judging the average consumer by your own standards...

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'd be fine if a 64GB LTE version was offered and maxed out at $599 or 6-something. Don't even want to begin to guess on the base model price.