All iPads iPad mini retina movies

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MxDaviD, Dec 4, 2013.

1. MxDaviD macrumors member

Hello guys i have one question for the ipad rmini users,i think that my iphone screen is too small for watching movies or videos in bed,can someone tell ma if the ipad mini retina is big enough for the movies or should i go with the air?

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I watched Act of Valor last night on a flight from Miami to Aruba on my rMini. It looked great and it was an excellent movie I had overlooked.

3. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I watch videos on my rMini all the time. It's great because I can take it with me everywhere in the house, like to the kitchen if I want to fix myself a snack, etc.

I don't feel it's too small, but then again, I'm mostly using it to watch video podcasts/youtube/etc and not really for full-length (2+ hour) movies.

To be honest, the bigger issue for me with movie-watching is the aspect ratio (4:3, which results in letterboxing/black bars), which is the same on both the Mini and the Air.

4. MxDaviD thread starter macrumors member

iPad mini retina movies

I would watch movies and tv series,but i am afraid it would be to small screen.
    But i like ipad mini because it is small for carrying around.

PS:sorry for my bad english

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It's excellent. I use it on my bus ride in to work and on flights. You'll never want to watch a movie on your phone again... The mini has the perfect combination of portable size and nice sized screen for media.

6. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

I find my iPad mini 1st gen to have a perfect screen size for watching videos, which is why I made it my only iOS device when I consolidated from having both an iPad 2 and an iPod touch 4th gen.

However, I do know that some friends prefer a full-sized iPad for movies. So, perhaps you may want to test a store model to see which screen size that you prefer.

7. MxDaviD thread starter macrumors member

oh thank you guys i think i will go with the mini retina. beacuse i love the size :)

8. CrossX macrumors member

Even i am watching the Oz the Great in 1080p now, and it looks also sounds awesome :)

9. MxDaviD thread starter macrumors member

thanks,i know that looks awesome because of the retina but i am just worried because of the size(7.9").

10. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

i was a bit annoyed while watching movies on the iPad because of the large borders of the device + the black borders of the movies + the reflections on the screen

now with the Mini Retina, the size is perfect for watching movies and much less reflections on the screen :)

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

The mini is fine for watching movies but the Air is obviously better in this regard purely down to screen size.
    If you prefer the mini as a device then just go for it, you won't regret the decision as movies still look great, they are just not quite as immersive (sic).

12. MxDaviD thread starter macrumors member

13. hologram macrumors 6502

Movies always look better on bigger screens. There's simply more detail visible, and there's nothing anyone can say that will change that.

That being said, it depends on your idea of "quality". Watching Avatar on a mini might be entertaining (for some of you... I'd find it frustrating), but it won't be the same experience as watching it on a larger screen.

14. MxDaviD thread starter macrumors member

Does someone have air and the Rmini at home?which one do you like more?

15. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

yes, RMini, definitely

16. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

An iPad Air held at 16" will be the same size as a mini held at about 13". This is also equivalent to watching a 70" TV from a little over 9 ft away (i.e. across a small-ish room).

17. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I had the original Mini and iPad 4. The Mini was used 99.99% of the time. I bought an rMini early last week, and used it much more than my Air, both for web browsing and movies. The Air is more immersive as a video player, but the rMini will do the trick. I returned mine because the lower portion of the screen around the home button was yellow, and Walmart charged me $629 for the 64GB wifi version. It was the only one in town at the time, but now there are plenty. I'll probably buy another.....

18. MxDaviD thread starter macrumors member

ok thank i will probablly take the rmini 32gb :)
    i think it will be ok for watching movies.

19. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I rented several movies and have watched one on the rMini and then I have used AirPlay (with AppleTV) to play others on the TV in my bedroom and my living room. Works very well for both options. I didn't find the screen too small to watch movies at all. Seems just about perfect - great combo of smaller size that makes it easier to tote with you, but offers a large enough screen to be great for movies, games, web browsing, etc.

----------

Also, if you are planning to rent/buy/store movies on the rMini, I would recommend getting the 32gb or 64gb.

I originally got the 16gb assuming it would be plenty of space since I wouldn't be taking photos with the iPad (take tons and tons of photos/videos on my iPhone), but after the OS, it knocked it down to 13gb of free space, and then after downloading the apps I use (which weren't a ton of apps, either), I only had space for ONE HD movie. I was shocked! I really assumed I would be able to store at least 3-4 on there, but clearly I was wrong.

Needless to say, I returned the 16gb and got a 32gb instead. It allowed me to download all the apps I wanted, and also have around 5 movies on the iPad at a time. If you want to store music, photos, or more than a few movies, I'd opt for the 64gb.

20. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I like using the mini to watch movies, only thing is when I decide to airplay to my apple tv; it would be nice if the ipad would switch to a 16:9 mode so the airplay mirroring would fill the entire HD TV screen

21. MxDaviD thread starter macrumors member

i think 32GB is enough for movies,photos,music and apps,i have iphone 5s 16gb and have all the things on it except movies,and i have 3 gb free,so with 32GB. i will have at least 10GB or more for movies and tv shows.

22. darknyt macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you must be referencing some viewing distance calcs, but for real world impact, I would need to hold my ipad Air less than a foot from my nose to approximate the coverage I get from my 73" at THX recommended viewing distance.

No way a Mini at a foot is like watching a 70".

23. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

On the contrary, it's precisely like watching a 70" if the ratio of the viewing distances is equal to the ratio of the screen sizes. Simple geometry.

24. Mactroki macrumors member

You can probably change the picture size on your tv. On mine which is not particularly new, I can switch to 4/3, 16/10 or zoom 1/ zoom 2. It appears that zoom 1 setting makes my airplay video filling totally my 16/9 screen. Hope this helps.

25. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

just watched some 1080p movies on my IMR, they simply look amazing :p

black is really deep black, no greyish like on previous ipads

and above all, really impressed that the IMR plays 1080p without a single hiccup :)