iPad mini iPad Mini Retina - Yellow Screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MTL18, Nov 13, 2013.

1. MTL18 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I purchased an iPad Mini R yesterday as a gift for my girlfriend. Obviously this won't be opened until xmas and I have concerns after reading these forums. Now, she is not a techy and won't be that observant towards screen tinge pending its severity (To be fair, not even sure how much I'd notice it). So I have these questions:

1) Is it a common or rare issue?

2) How severe is it?

3) How likely is a non-geek to figuring this out?

Her iPad is being shipped from China right now so it may be in a different batch than those that already received it and have found these issues.

Thanks for reading!

2. Macalway macrumors 68000

No one knows

Buy it, try it

Don't listen to anyone here. This sort or scutiny is counterproductive for 99% of us. You'll be fine

Also; Don't measure things. :)

3. enkrates macrumors newbie

On first look, everything looks fine...not yellowish tint...

As for the wash-out color, I have to compare it to the ipad air to confirm but by itself it looks natural.

4. Florals macrumors member

I don't have a very big sample size to compare it to, but the screen on the one I bought this morning is perfect. No tint here. :)

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iPad Mini with Retina is a truly incredible device. I urge people to stop looking for faults in their products and start enjoying these remarkable devices from Apple.
    Some whiny people on these forums don't deserve to own Apple products.

6. sholzer macrumors regular

This. Enjoy your new products and stop looking for faults. If some random person looked at these forums, they'd think anything and everything is always broken or has something wrong with it. Just enjoy it! If there is something majorly wrong (enough for you to notice it without looking) get it fixed

7. MTL18 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for your replies! I know there will always be those that hunt for problems, just wanted to see if this was a recall-level problem or just a few who are difficult.

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

If you're worried, you could simply open it when it comes in. Set it up, check it out and then reset back. Nothing more depressing than having one of your gifts opened only to find out it is broken. It's not just for possible screen issues. Defective products come out all the time from all manufacturers.

If it were me that's what I would do so I had a chance to rectify any problems before Xmas. So the box won't be shrink wrapped, who cares if the iPad works correctly and she can enjoy it right away.

Anyway, nice gift, lucky girl.

9. enkrates macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that there many mini retina owners who are satisfied with their device but never post on this forum.

10. Londoncity macrumors member

Mine has slight yellow tint near the home button. It's not as bad as the Air I had but noticeable to me. I doubt your other half would notice if she isn't prompted about it if hers does have it.

I'll probably return mine but really can't be doing with the hassle of taking it back and hoping the next one is better. Apart from the tint, this screen is amazing though!

11. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Yellowish tint? Whether imagined or not, or even if it's of zero importance, it could very well be all the screen's phosphors haven't yet "settled in". They try and break them in at the factory, leaving the displays on for many hours and then do QC testing, but their tolerances may not be quite as finite as some end users.

Try this - if you notice yellow, plug your iPad in and let it play a few movies. Make sure the movie is full frame - no black bars! Also, avoid any Fincher type film noirs. Nothing dark or gloomy - I think a Pixar (or similar) animated film would be best.

Let your iPad break in, and then see if the yellow is diminished or goes away.

12. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

The yellow gradients of the iPad 3's never went away even after a break-in period.

I hope it's not the same as that fiasco. My 1st Gen. mini is perfect.

13. MTL18 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your replies. I did a little further digging in the forums and it seems that those that return 1 iPad, often return multiple. There seems to be two kind of iPad users:

1) Those who buy one and enjoy it

2) Those that hunt for errors, find them, return, rinse and repeat.

I won't open it before her and I'll just roll the dice on Xmas morning! I'm sure it'll be fine, never had an issue with an Apple product for myself...

Have a nice day!

14. JGWolven macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry about it. If you read these forums you would think that 85% of the Mini's released are all defected. I'd put money down that it's perfectly fine. :)

15. sleepyking macrumors 6502

if this would ease your mind, you can return it till January 7th.

16. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

This HAS to be a troll thread. Seriously? You post a title for something that doesn't even exist for you, and isn't a question, so everyone who clicks on the link thinks they are going to get some information about a possible yellow screen, and it's just some dude asking what will happen when his girlfriend opens her box?

17. MTL18 thread starter macrumors regular

I almost didn't respond, but what the hell...

This is not a troll thread. Early reports show a yellowing screen, something that I did not find for the iPad Air. If this was a common problem, I would have the option to return the rMini for an Air. Which was always my plan B in case the rMini could not be found.

Take it easy internet tough guy...

18. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

So people paying premium prices shouldn't expect a quality device and we should just be SO thankful we even get to touch an Apple product? :rolleyes:

19. Supra Mac macrumors regular

This is what i got. Just picked one up today, iPad mini Retina vs iPad 4

Yellow.

Attached Files:

20. Ubele macrumors 6502a

Great suggestion. I've bought a few electronic products for my wife over the years, and I always check them otr beforehand. Rather than being disappointed that her gift had been opened, she was touched that I went to the trouble to make sure she'd have a working device for her birthday or Christmas.

I also agree what others have said about the yellow screen. I bought a MBP in 2008, and started reading threads that screens made by one manufacturer has a slightly yellowish tint. I hadn't noticed, but I checked system info and found that I had the "bad" screen. When I compared it to another monitor, indeed it was very slightly yellowish. I was bummed for a bit, but then I realized that I never would have noticed had I not read the threads on MR. I completely forgot about it, and I'm still using that MBP as a backup to my newer Mac mini. Of course, there's a difference between something that's slightly less than perfect, and something that's truly defective. Each person has to decide where the line is.

21. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

you don't think a "Does the ipad mini have a yellow screen?" or "Any yellow screen issues confirmed?" I am sure whatever comes in your girlfriend's box christmas will be fine.

22. shadowyman macrumors member

shadowyman

I think the question is more about the tonality than the "yellowing of the screen". Different devices opt in different whites (tonalities). Some have a bluish tint, others have warmer reddish or yellowish tint. I don't think this is a problem and iPad mini still looks like a sexy device.

23. dandrewk macrumors 6502

This is it totally. My iPad 3 has a bluish tint. Putting it side by side with an Air makes the Air look a bit yellow.

If only I had a colorimeter...

24. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Wow! I have the complete opposite of you. My iPad3 has a nice and accurate slightly warm tone that makes skin tones look pleasing. My iPad Air is a bit too cool, color temperature wise. It makes the colors pop a bit more but isn't as pleasant.

I compared both iPads to my rMBP which is calibrated with my Spyder colorimeter and my iPad3 is around 6500K where as my iPad Air is closer to about 7000K. Also my Air is less bright at 100% brightness than my 3. Most folks are used to very "Cool" screens and the look of a properly calibrated screen is sometimes a bit yellow. It's just like my Panasonic plasma TV, which I had to set to "Warm2" which is about 5600K I believe. Skin tones look amazing but it was a bit too yellow at the beginning.

FWIW, I am an advanced amateur photographer and all my displays at home are calibrated for photo editing purposes.

25. Ericstephen macrumors member

Mine is going back. The yellow tinge is severe on mine. These pics don't even begin to replicate the dirty white instead of bright white I see on my screen.

Attached Files: