iPad Mini - Stop Complaining About The Specs!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ghsNick, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ghsNick, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok, I'm sick of the complaints about the specs.

There is literally ONE spec that will be noticeable and that's the iPad Mini missing the Retina Display.

I've watched side by side test of the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5...they are very minimally different/quicker. Yeah the A6 processor may be TWICE as fast as the A5 processor...but if the A6 takes 1/4 of a second to do something it takes 1/2 a second on the A5. So OMG it's twice as fast...but nothing significant. And if 1/4 of a second is that big of a deal in your life you probably shouldn't be on this forum wasting more of your so important time.

There are so many whiny brat "nerds" on this forum that act like these specs are so awful and so bad...but if they had an iPad Mini with an A5 processor right next to an iPad Mini with an A6 processor and couldn't do a side by side test...but play around with it for a couple minutes then use the other one...I guarantee you no one would TRULY be able to tell the difference and guess at which one was quicker.

I'm bummed there isn't a Retina Display because that's noticeable to the eye...but now that you've READ the specs on the Mini it is now an "out of date" product. Get over yourselves and get out of here if you don't like it. Has that much changed in ONE year that the processor in the 4S (which now runs in the Mini) is now SO OUT OF DATE?

No...it's not out of date to you...but on "technical" terms it is.

Seriously, get over yourselves.

2. zackify macrumors member

I agree, the only thing I could get annoyed with is the possible 500MB of ram and having Safari / Chrome refresh every time I close and reopen.

3. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

It's not just about the processor... iPad mini simply didn't live up to expectations. Biggest flaws being no retina, only half a gig of ram and relativaly high price points. A5 chip may be good for non-retina resolution, but it's already outdated since it's on the market for two years now. Not to mention it doesn't take a genius Apple will release retina iPad mini next year, and you all will be selling your non-retina minis like crazy.... For that reason I'm not getting mini this year, since I don't like to change my iDevices every year.

4. fsumom macrumors regular

I completely agree with you. Then again, I'm not really one to care about the newest and greatest technology. I actually just bought a DSLR camera that came out in February 2011. It'll be new to me :).

5. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Isn't the screen on iPad mini suppose too look better then on iPad 2 since its a smaller screen or is this false?

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't see them as complaints, it's just people expressing thoughts & opinions based on experience, preferences or both. Without this feedback, products would never improve.

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

One man's "complaints" is another man's legitimate opinion. If you don't like them, you can always go to a different forum.

8. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

The retina display missing is a big downer.. I feel if it had these, people could overlook the over specs that are from last year/2010. But since they cut out the retina display, and skipped on other specs.. it just kind of makes it slightly less appealing.

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Im am pretty sure my kids wont notice that it is not "retina" and will be good enough for them as it is lighter than the heavy iPad they stole from daddy.

10. MagnusF macrumors regular

It´s sort of true. iPad 2 had 132PPI but the iPad mini has 163PPI due to the smaller screen size

11. ttexxan macrumors regular

OMG its not rocket science guys!! Apple is already in the works for the retina display on the next release!! They are not going push everything out at once. They know just by placing a retina screen on the next release everyone will dump there old device for upgrade. How hard is that to understand

12. jigzaw macrumors 6502

No retina, no purchase. My iPhone has retina. I've heard there's all sorts of techie reasons that they can make the phone retina, but not a mid-size tablet, but the public will just see this as a cheapskate version at a premium price. All the excuses will seem silly in 6 months when the iPad Mini with Retina is announced.

13. Ankaa macrumors 6502

I guess many many people bought the iPad2 over the iPad 3 not caring about retina. In Apple's point of view that justifies safeing retina for the next gen at this point.

14. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Yet it's silly they put 6 months old iPad 3 to grave and still supporting 2 years old wreck.

15. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I've got a problem with your argument. While I agree that the A5/500MB RAM spec will be enough for the mini that is only true because the mini does not have a Retina display. Through in a Retina display and the A5/500MB RAM spec will start to come up short.

I'm also a bit put off by what I'd consider a lack of sincerity on your part. You chastise others for obsessing on specs but then bemoan the lack of a Retina display. You seem to be saying its OK to complain about the spec you care about (Retina) but not the others. Ironically, as I've pointed out above, you can't really have one without the others.

Telling others to 'get over themselves' because their opinion differs from your own is lame and does nothing to support your argument.

16. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Agreed, but it's a typical consumer behaviour. He loves iPad mini so he doesn't want to have any doubts about he's newly preordered iDevice. That's why he's whining about the whiners, not really letting any other arguments than positive. All to make himself good about the purchase and that he's made the right decition. I love the iPad mini's form factor, just feel non-retina is so outdated. I will gladly get the mini with retina and A6 the moment it comes out, which is probably in the next 11 months. I can wait.

17. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

So it'll be a little clearer?

18. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

iPad mini has 162.64 ppi to be exact.

19. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Visually you can SEE the Retina Display and the redesign...you can't really SEE the differences in the chips and specs until you read about them.

20. FlashHead macrumors regular

I will get the mini without a retina screen, because the size and weight will suit me much better than my full sized 3. I will consider upgrading when it gets the retina screen IF they don't add too much thickness or weight to it. I am more than happy to get this lighter version. I also have very little doubt the performance and user experience will be will be every bit my as good as my other apple products. If I can only keep my eyes from bleeding from the lack of retina. :rolleyes:

21. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm not trying to make myself feel better. I know some of the specs are "outdated" compared to the latest and greatest. My thing is you can't notice these differences until you READ about them (except the Retina Display).

22. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I'm getting one this year and will be picking up the iPmS when it comes out in a year. $329 is not a lot of money to put out for a device that I'll use pretty much every day so updating in a year is a no brainer fro me. I don't need a huge capacity as I don't feel the need to have my entire 6000+ music library on my device at one time, not to mention the hundreds of movies and apps..... I can easily hook up to iTunes and swap as needed.

OP, I feel your pain. Some here on MR are truely special.

Would I have liked to have the a6, retina, 1gig ram ect ect, of course. Am I butt hurt because it doesn't have it, no. Is Apple a BS company that takes advantage of it's fans, you bet ya. Do they put out devices that are intentionally less than they could be so upgrading is an option in a year, you know they do. I have come to expect nothing less from apple so I buy their devices knowing a year later there will be a new one. I have an original iPad, bought the iP3 but didn't think it was all that so I gave it to my mom as a gift (she had been talking about how much she loved dad's). Can't wait to get my hands on my mini on Friday!

23. palpatine macrumors 68040

Well, that is true, because very few people have actually seen or touched the device. However, assuming it has the same processor, screen, and RAM of the iPad 2, I would be very frustrated trying to view my PDFs on it. The iPad2 was a huge improvement on the iPad 1, because at least it could open the files, but the iPad3 has been much better (in my experience).

I am sure people will enjoy their iPad Minis, I imagine it will sell well enough, but the specs are what they are. Apple (as always) created a gorgeously designed device, but unfortunately, they decided to load it with outdated components, and price it high (compared to the market -- the price is actually reasonable if only considered within the Appleverse). I think they should have done better. A lot of us are disappointed with what happened: my new iPad 3 is old and discontinued a few months out, so no reselling this one and upgrading next year (the value has already plummeted), and the iPad Mini doesn't compare favorably with competitors (see Amazon's front page for a painful, but well-done ad).

It is what it is. I hope you enjoy it, but I think we are justified in telling the Emperor (Apple) he has no clothes...

24. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Uh 512MB of RAM, lame!

25. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I suppose some people are also concerned whether using a 2 gen old chip (counting A5X) would also cut short the lifespan of future iOS update support on the iPad mini.