IPad mini = Very well priced!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Masterkona, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Masterkona macrumors member

Let's think. It's 50% lighter, has the functionality of a Kindle (Minus the battery life, although I'd wager 13-15 hours of active use is likely possible without wifi or Bluetooth turned on) and has access to the same performance of an IPad 2. What's not to like? This is obviously targeting people that mainly want their tablets for books or who find the current Ipad to be too big. The IPad is too heavy for some (Kids/Students/ People that just want it for light reading?) 10 Hours of active reading (I'd wager more) with an A5 chip = competition killer. If you're primarily using your Ipad for reading, you won't care about retina display. Right? Performance wise, it is a significantly better device then the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire, not to mention it has access to the same functionality of a device that's bigger, and significantly heavier. The A5 chip alone makes it worth it. They will sell 10 million by December 2012, and 60-70million by December 2013.

All of you people complaining are the reason for this silly drop in the stock. Think for a second, and apply some logic. This device is very useful and logical!!! Even for me, I find the IPad to be a bit big for casual reading. This device is perfect for my needs. I will also be buying an IPad 4 for things that require a bigger screen. I'm positive I am not alone. I guarantee we see upgrades tomorrow morning.

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I agree on some of your points but when it comes to price. There are those that won't care about specs when you have a $429 32GB iPad mini vs a $249 32GB Nexus 7.

3. Cdaddy112 macrumors member

however you need to rationalize the inflated price then go right ahead

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Guess what though, most of the public does not know what a Galaxy Nexus is, despite seeing ads and commercials for it. People know iPad, geeks and idiots like us know these things, 99.9999% of the popualtion wants an iPad.

5. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

It's priced way too high but everything apple is

6. Cdaddy112 macrumors member

most are yes, but usually I am able to find reasons for the price premium, but this thing!! this thing!! Slap in the face

7. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

A lot of money for that product. It is too much $ for me but just doesn't seem to be worth based upon announced features.
    Came off my buy list at 329 + tax + cover etc.

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I would actually pay the $170 difference for the iPad 4. At a certain point if you're in the market for a tablet you go all out or you go cheap. I think it was a major mistake to release a revised iPad 4 at $499 and a $329 iPad mini that is 2 generations behind in power at the same time.

9. vwnut13 macrumors newbie

35% Larger, 23% Less Pixels, 60% More Expensive

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I like iPad mini, but A5 processor makes me think twice about it...

Price is not great, but it isn't a disaster....

I am still deciding.

11. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

This I agree with. Apple, unlike Google, knows how to market a product. It's solely up to Google to let people know that the Nexus 7 is the cheaper bargain.

12. bijju macrumors member

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

It's the same old over-price / under-spec strategy they are using with the iPod Touch line, except they actually have serious competition in this category. What is an A5 processor doing in a new iPad? What a joke.

I've got a Nexus 7 and I think it performs spectacularly well, so I don't really understand what you are saying here. You could spend $100 less for a better display (ppi) and roughly equivalent weight, size, and battery. If I were buying a tablet for my kids, I think I'd go for the Nexus 7. Heck, even for myself! I love Apple stuff, but this is a dog, and I am sad to see how little innovation we are seeing at Apple recently.

14. 314631, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012

314631 macrumors 6502a

I agree. iPad Mini is insanely affordable at just $329. I was expecting them to kill off iPad 2 and sell iPad Mini at $399 so this is a remarkable deal for consumers in the market for a device of that size with the full App Store experience.

15. VFC macrumors 6502a

Lots of people find out about a product for the first time when they decide they need a tablet and go to the biggest US retailer; Best Buy. Apple threatened to pull their products if BB sold the Nexus 7; now it is very clear why they did that. So many people will be unaware of an arguably better product at a much lower cost.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You're absolutely right. Most tablet customers don't/won't care about specs. The only thing they'll know is: "I want an iPad Mini; what's a Nexus 7?" :p

17. Bchagey macrumors 6502

well said.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's called a free market economy and Google, Apple, and Best Buy are free to do as they please.

"Arguably better product," eh? That'd have to be one heck of a forensics team to argue that one. ;)

19. donster28 macrumors 65816

Trying my best to rationalize your claim but I'm sorry to say I can't seem to agree with you.

My preferred selling price points to the iPad Mini:

1. With Retina Display - $329
    2. No Retina Display (at least a resolution of 1280 x 800) - $289

With it's current specs, it's a no buy for me. My iPad 3 is breathing a sigh of relief.

(Apple just 'jumped the shark' keeps ringing in my head.)

20. smellysox8 macrumors regular

Since when is overpriced the same as well priced?

21. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Better not buy this when the iPad mini 2 will be out in 4 months. :rolleyes:

22. tann macrumors 68000

Look, the Nexus 7 is heavier, bigger and probably doesn't feel as good to hold.

The iPad has a supposedly better battery life, bigger screen (but about the same size as the Nexus) and nearly 300k apps that are developed for that screen res.

Don't forget that the iPad also has a pretty good rear camera, which for some reason a lot of general consumers like having.

Yeah a lot of people will get the Nexus, but that's a pretty damn good price for the iPad.

23. donster28 macrumors 65816

Have you ever owned the Nexus 7? I guess not.

FYI: The Nexus 7 is a pleasure to hold, plastic or no plastic. It's fast (quad core), screen has a higher resolution, cheap!

24. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

I fail too see how the iPad Mini is anything but inferior to the Nexus 7 in the hardware department, the only thing that i see the iPad Mini has over the Nexus 7 is the back facing camera and who cares about that except those planks that like to hold their pads in the air taking pictures.

25. tann macrumors 68000

Quad core means nothing, the iPad 2 is plenty slick.

And FYI I haven't held an iPad min or a Nexus 7, but Apple love making their products nice to hold.

I'm not saying the Nexus 7 isn't a fantastic price, but a lot of people will agree with the above.