iPad mini iPad mini with Retina display - previous iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by virginblue4, Jan 4, 2014.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

To all iPad mini with Retina display owners, which iPad did you upgrade from, or is this your first iPad? And what do you think of the upgrade?

I've come from an iPad 3 and most recently the 1st generation iPad mini. I absolutely love my retina mini, loving the speed and the screen is just amazing!

2. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Same transition. Loving everything about this little guy. So happy I went this way instead of the Air.

3. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

Same here. I came from being a ipad3 owner - I always felt that the large size of the ipad impacted (for me at least) it's portability and felt the original mini's non retina screen to be a step backwards. But love the new form factor of my mini retina and the processor jump is nice too :)

4. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I went from iPad 1 to iPad 3 to retina Mini. The form factor really can't be beat, especially since it fits in a jacket pocket so I can take it with me everywhere. My previous iPads never left the house.

5. wakinghour macrumors regular

I bought the same iPads :)

6. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

iPad 1 -> rMini

Haven't used iPad1 in 2.5 years, because 10" tablet form factor stopped making any sense since MBA 11" introduction.

Form factor is everything.

7. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

iPad 2 -> rMini. World of difference, the form factor gives it that "take it with you everywhere" feeling.

Sadly, I had to return mine due to financial circumstances, but instead of the 32GB, I will opt for the 64 next time.

8. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Does it qualify as an upgrade if I am still using the previous iPad? I upgraded a year ago from an iPad 2 to a 4. I just got an rmini, but still heavily use the 4, just not nearly as much as before.

9. swedefish macrumors 6502

iPad 1 to rMini cellular. Love this little thing! I have hardly used the old iPad at all this past year. It's just too bulky and heavy. I preferred reading in bed on my iPhone. Not anymore. I think I will end up using the rMini more than my MBP. :D

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First generation mini to a rMini. Since I had some gift cards and benefits from my company the cost was negligible. I only say that because I would not have upgraded so soon if it wasn't for those gift cards.

I love the rMini, its display is great for reading and I opted for the LTE flavor this time, so its usage is even better.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I also went from an iPad 3 to the new Mini w/Retina display. I am very pleased and happy with the upgrade in performance and I really love the screen size of the Mini.

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I came from a 3. I made a lot of trips to our local Apple stores looking at the Air and the rMini. Both are great, but, for my specific use, upgrading to the Air just did not seem worth the money. I kept coming back to the form factor of the rMini. So, like others, the 3 is going to be used around the house, but the rMini is the ultimate travel toy!

13. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Received an iPad air for Christmas, exchanged it yesterday for a rmini couldn't be more happier. Used the air for about a week had a mini before the Air.

14. knguye11 macrumors newbie

knguye11

My upgrade is from iPad2. I didn't get previous generations b/c I wanted to wait for the retina display. It was everything I wanted in a tablet.
    You won't regret if you upgrade to rMini!

15. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess one thing is certain, everyone loves their rMini's :D

16. Arid macrumors member

Arid

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

My first iPad was the original Mini and then bought the Retina Mini. I would not have any other iPad.

18. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I went iPad 2 to 3 to rMini. The key thing was buying my Macbook Air between the 3 and rMini, which replaced most of my iPad 3's usage. rMini is now used quite a lot more.

19. unibility macrumors 6502

... you do realize ' > ' symbolizes greater than. do you mean... rMini>iPad Air>iPad 3>iPad 2 ?

20. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I think they meant sequentially, like arrows.

21. derbyshire2013 macrumors member

I went from an iPad 4th generation to an rMini.

It's the best decision I've ever made. The form factor is ideal for what I want from my slate.

22. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

iPad 2 -> rMini

Very happy with it. Night and day difference.

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

iPad wifi --> retina mini w/cellular
    I sold my iPad to Target. Because Target was being stupid about getting the cellular retina mini, I got it from the apple store instead.
    It's a great upgrade and I love the size.

24. x5tuu macrumors member

iPad2 32gb ----> rMini 16gb

Not missing the extra storage and loving the form factor and screen, didn't realise the difference in screen till I used the 2 again after a few days setting it up to give away to a family member.

25. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather