iPad mini iPad Mini with retina display thicker and heavier

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jabingla2810, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Not a deal breaker, but worth noting I think.

I'm getting one in white though, can't wait!

2. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Thicker by 0.01 inches and heavier by 0.05 pounds. :eek: :D

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

You'll find it's about 7% heavier now. NOT insignificant.

I'm having a much tougher decision re iPad Air or iPad mini w/ Retina display.

4. maerz001 macrumors 6502

from the Ipad 2 > 3 it was a 8.5% weight increase. hard to tell if you can feel it. maybe in the long run

5. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

Um, yeah, that is insignificant, actually. If I blindfolded you and handed you two weights, one of which was 0.05 pounds heavier, you would not reliably be able to tell the difference. I guarantee it.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not true. The iPad 2 to iPad 3 was similar in change, and I noticed that IMMEDIATELY.

7. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Between the iPad 2 and 3, I could tell the difference. But with the mini 2, I wonder if I would be able to tell. The smaller size might make it insignificant, as opposed to the full size iPads.

8. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

More than likely you noticed it because you knew about it already, and biased your perception. I'd bet you a bag of coffee from Milstead that you can't discern a five-one-hundredths of a pound difference in a blind test.

Even if you could, you'd need to hold both at the same time to tell a difference (which, as I said, I'm 99% sure you couldn't), which isn't a real-life scenario, and is therefore irrelevant. Holding one and then the other would make it even more improbable that you could reliably tell the difference. 7% may sound like a noticeable amount, but you're talking about ~22 grams. That's very, very, very little.

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

My GF could tell the difference between the 2 and 3 on a consistent basis, just by picking them up. She prefered using the 2, as well. Maybe I should have got her weight training certificates for Christmas...

Clint

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Thank you for telling me how my body and psychology works. :rolleyes:

If you handed me a 50lb weight and a 50.05lb weight, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Next you'll be telling me that I can't tell the 28 gram difference (0.06 pounds) difference between the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5/5s. :rolleyes:

----------

Yes, some people really can tell the difference. It gets harder as you go up the weight scale, but when you're talking small devices like the iPhone and iPad, it was easy for me to tell. My wife had no idea about the weight change from iPad 2 to 3, and she INSTANTLY told me the 3 was heavier than the 2.

11. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Hold it in your hand for 1 hour, you'll notice a difference. Not to mention the leverage placed on your hand which will amplify the apparent weight.

12. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Deal breaker for me.. Apple is just rushing their hardware now. Enjoyed a year of iPad Mini Gen 1. Way to sell out Apple.. I'm sure the Retina display is amazing on a 7.9" screen but i'm not going backwards for it.. Bet the battery life is far less to compared to Gen1. The iPad Mini 2 is the iPad 3 crap all over again.

I'll probably be picking up the Air for sure for this year's round, which is a real fixed up iPad that beats everything else in it's class except for it's thickness. Sony's Xperia Z wins on thickness but loses on weight now. To me, lighter is better than thinner so overall the Air is a huge win for Apple.

13. betabeta macrumors 6502a

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

So you don't like that the mini is heavier and thicker... So you're buying an even heavier tablet?

Logic right there.

15. Rhythmic- macrumors member

So it's just a bit thicker? The rest of the dimensions are the same as prev. gen? I have a clamshell BT keyboard I'd like to keep using. :D

16. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

My bet stands, even though you seem kind of cranky.

I wouldn't actually say that about the iPhones. That's totally different. 28 grams there is a much larger proportion of their total weight.

The fact that some people are actually worried about an additional 0.05 pounds getting too heavy is kind of hilarious. Time to abandon the keyboard for some dumbbells.

17. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

You don't tease us with the possibility of super light and thin and then go full derp and go backwards. It's about the trade off of size screen and weight cost.. and the Air is where it's at.. I'm not buying a heavier tablet because i want light, never said that.. I wanted the iPad4 but it's far too bulky however i like the larger screen size.. Now it's a good mix of large screen and lightweight done right.. The Mini as I said, is iPad3/4 all over again.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

have you actually looked at the specs? it's 1oz heavier. o n e ounce. even less for wifi only. and .3mm thicker. one tenth of one inch.

full derp? drama?

19. princebig7 macrumors member

where did u get this?

20. WilliamG macrumors 604

Nobody said it was "too" heavy. We're just saying the difference in weight between the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display is now smaller.

21. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I think the biggest surprise is that now there is only .25 pound difference between the mini with retina and the full-size ipad air.

22. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

This is the same thing that happened when they released the iPad 3, it was ok with me with how much clearer the screen was.

23. rovex macrumors 65816

What many here ignore is the mini is already considerably lighter than the full size pad, so although the increase in weight will likely be noticeable, I highly doubt it will feel like going from ipad 2 to 3.

24. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Sorry, but I don't follow your logic here.

The new rMini has the same processor as the 5S and iPad Air. Additionally, Schiller claims that it has the same 10-hour battery life as the first Mini.

With all of that in mind, how is this iPad 3 all over again? If the rMini is handicapped, then so too are the 5S and the Air as they have the same specs?

25. Rhythmic- macrumors member

I was asking. So it's not yet known? Just got home and didn't get to see the reveal.