Ipad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Apple1000, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Apple1000 macrumors newbie

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

please learn how to read. that article was posted in august of last year.

3. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I so wanted to post "iPod Touch" as an iPad Mini suggestion :mad:

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

plus an iPad nano or whatever would likely compromise the marketability of the iPod touch due to the very likely similar price points

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Steve Jobs said that he thinks a 7" tablet doesn't make sense, sooo it's never going to happen.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Jobs has a way of being very definitive in his speech (he has that cocky way of presenting things as "absolute") when what he really means is that "given the current state of technology we have no interest in developing a 7" iPad because we don't believe it would provide a satisfactory user experience."

If, in a year or two, technology makes it workable, you'll see a smaller-format iPad.

7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Agreed. That was in typical Jobs' arrogance fashion. However, I feel that if Mr. Jobs is not that arrogant &/or cocky, he & Apple would probably not have been as successful.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

You won't get any argument from me. If I had 1/10th of his resume I'd be a cocky bastard indeed. I give him credit for dialing it down.

9. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

are u talking about the ipod touch? LOL

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I see no merit in a 7" iPad. It doesn't get any more portable at that size. Nothing gained except a harder (because it is smaller) to read screen.

Then again, whenever Stevie says it'll never happen, it almost always does.

11. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Jobs said he would not make a seven inch iPad...he never said he would not make a seven inch iPod touch, or a seven inch <insert iName here>

12. dacapo macrumors 6502

Steve also alluded that the "netbook" form factor would never come. Fast forward far enough along, and we all saw the MBA 11".

Don't worry, it'll come sooner or later.

13. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Don't be silly, we have 2 iPad minis already out on the market. And no, I'm not even joking :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

14. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Get your facts right. He said the specs inside the net books are rubbish. He has been striving for the size of s netbook all his life and now we have one.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

15. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

We'll sooner see a 7" iPod rather than a 7" iPad. It might seem pedantic, but every single Apple executive have been very disciplined in arguing that 7" is too small for a "great tablet computing experience." iPods are not encumbered by being "tablets."

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're reallllly stretching here.

17. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I don't think it really is a big stretch. I think Apple sees the iPad as a 'real' computing platform. Pages, Numbers and Keynote were a major part of the initial introduction. To be a 'real' computing platform the iPad really has to be at least 10" just to fit enough controls on the screen.

However I also think that there is a gap for a more portable device than an iPad but with a larger screen than an Phone/iPod Touch. Reading a book or browsing the web on a 3.5" screen is doable, however having a 5" or 6" screen would be much better. To create such a device I think it would be easier for Apple to build up from the iPhone/iPod Touch than build down from the iPad. Removing controls from an iPad app because they don't fit is going to be a lot harder than spreading controls out on an iPhone app.

My dark-house bet for WWDC is that Apple will announce multiple screen sizes for the iPhone (both smaller and larger than 3.5") and push devs to support scalable UIs ahead of a September launch. A 5-6" iPod Touch could fall out of the same work.

18. kalex macrumors 65816

Did you actually see playbook or galaxy tab next to the ipad? Ipad is a giant compared to them. I would love to see 7" ipad as I find current ipad too big for certain things.

19. chuckcalo macrumors regular

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got 2 7" Archos tablets, the Nook Color, and a couple other 7"ish tablets. Yes, they are 1/2 the size of my iPad. They are also still too big to stick in any pocket I wear.

21. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I would welcome the 7 inch format if Steve got out of his own way, he'd be making even more money than he's making right now.

Would buy one in ten seconds flat and so would millions of others.

There's no denying that.

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Jobs seems cocky because it does his homework. And, seemingly his company is the only one doing their homework before coming out with a new product.

23. xriderx11 macrumors regular

If u want a 7" iPad then get a android and hack it to run ios

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

24. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Please excuse my ignorance. :eek: Is it really possible to do that? :confused:

25. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

We got it last June. It's called the iPhone 4.