iPad minus sim card sold on eBay - buyer not happy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cagle, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

I just sold my ipad 3G on eBay sans sim card (i'm using it to power a 3GS) and the buyer is demanding I send my sim card to him. He says it won't function without one and that apple and AT&T won't issue him a new one. Has he got a case? I don't see why I should hand over a sim card that has been paid for up until the end of the month, plus, don't sim cards hold personal info? My listing didnt mention the sim card coming with it, then again it didnt mention it wouldnt come with it.

anyway, ive offered him a refund, just wondered who is in the right/wrong.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

You're in the right. Tell him to go to ANY AT&T store and ask for a micro-sim, that's all you do. (How did you put the micro-sim in your 3GS?)

3. Built macrumors 68020

Is this buyer in Malaysia or Indonesia, by chance? j/k LOL It seems that he is setting up a case to dispute the entire transaction. I think you have been very honest in offering a refund...Your buyer seems shady.

4. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

The ipad comes with a sim. If you aren't going to include it you should disclose that in your ad. Refund $15 or send him a new $15 sim.

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

The iPad also came with a piece of plastic on the AC charger, does he have to include that? Please....

Buyers fault

6. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

I think you probably should have said that it didn't come with the sim card in your listing.

I don't really think you owe him anything, though. That would have been one of my first questions if I was going to buy an iPad 3G used.

You offered him a refund. He can either suck it up and go buy one or give you the iPad back and you can sell it to someone else who won't be a crybaby.

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

A piece of plastic on the AC charger doesn't change product usability. If it wasn't disclosed that the SIM card wasn't included then it is the sellers fault, and responsibility to fix it.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Just go to the AT&T Store and get a new one and then include the old deactivated SIM card in with the iPad.

Problem solved.

9. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Does the iPad 3G come with a micro-sim in the box with it?

Also, if his eBay ad said he was selling an iPad 3G and nothing more, then it's the buyers fault.

I watched some people the other day bid up to £100 on an auction just to win a £40 contract BB Torch... How people buy things on eBay without reading the description I'll never know.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Tell him that

1. iPad is unlocked so no sim card is required
    2. if he wants data service on iPad he needs to buy his own sim card
    3. sim card is associated with your own account so you cannot give him your sim card until it's deactivated, which would mean he needs to get his own

That would work too.

11. Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

based on advise here, i offered the $15 he'd need to buy one or a full refund. i really didn't think when I listed it, but offering him every possible option is best, as ebay doesn;t seem to support the seller anymore. :mad:

i took a large sim card from an old iphone, cut a hole the size of the new mini ipad sim and slotted it into the hole. the old sim is now the sim card holder for the mini sim.

12. kenmarable macrumors member

Removing a chip from inside the iPad that reduces it's functionality is a wee bit different not including a cable.

Without the sim card, it is not a fully functional iPad. I am totally with the buyer on this one 100%. I haven't read the auction description, but he was sent an iPad that is not fully functional and is rightly pissed. In fact, novice users might not even know that it needs a sim card and complain to eBay tha tyou sent a broken one.

It would have been trivial to mention that you are keeping the sim card in the description (of course, I'm pretty sure it would have sold for less, making a good reason for you not to disclose that).

But I agree with what others said, just buy a sim and send him it, and all should be fine. Besides, is it worth the negative rep on eBay to fight the guy over it if it really is so simple to get a new one?

13. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

The guy just spent a few hundred dollars on a new iPad...and he's complaining about a $15 SIM card? I think if you showed us the auction then people would be able to help out more.

14. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Well whatever the confusion may have been, you have done your part by offering him the $15 for a simcard or a full refund.

That's all that matters. Both are good resolutions to the issue. If he's still pissed and wants "more", then I would side with you on this one as you have kept your part of the deal.

15. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Link to original posting? If you made the buyer aware that you weren't shipping the sim card, then you're golden, and you really shouldn't have to do anything. If you neglected to post that the sim wasn't included, you should offer him an olive branch. Best of luck!

16. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

This is stupid. I would never sell a phone WITH the sim card. Why would I include a the sim card with the iPad? And I have NEVER been charged for a sim card when I've gone into AT&T. Especially when setting up a new device. Tell the buyer to piss off.

17. Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

18. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I think it's a simple misunderstanding.

If I were you I'd offer to buy him a new SIM card, simply so you don't have to go through the dispute.

Sure it'll cost you $15, but also might save you one hell of a headache.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

20. whitebook macrumors regular

[​IMG]

yep after seeing this i would have taken the auction to have included the sim card as well

21. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would never expect a sim card to be included in an auction for a phone or an iPad unless it was NIB.

Also not all iPads ship with sim cards do they?..I thought that was only iPad's sold in the US.

22. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Ugh, no...In canada when you buy a 3G iPad you choose between a Bell, Rogers or Telus Micro-Sim

23. kenmarable macrumors member

Uh... why would you be worried about the sim card having personal information and not wanting to include it if you never even turned it on?

Although I suppose it really doesn't matter - I agree that offering the $15 and/or sending a sim card is fine.

But if you advertised it as "brand new" and "literally never switched on", then as a buyer, I would presume it would still have all of its parts. You even selected "New" rather than "Used" for the condition.

24. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

That photo says it includes the micro-SIM card, I too would have "expected" it to be included.

If that iPad is only a couple hundred, I'll buy it with or without the sim card, and I won't complain. I could use an extra iPad for when my girlfriend wants to play Magic Fiddle and read her digital copies of Cosmopolitan and Elle. ;)