Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knot ewe

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
At first I was on your side, but after seening your listing I would have expected a sim card to come with it also. Seems like you are doing the right thing by offering him a sim or refund. good luck

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I just sold my ipad 3G on eBay sans sim card (i'm using it to power a 3GS) and the buyer is demanding I send my sim card to him. He says it won't function without one and that apple and AT&T won't issue him a new one. Has he got a case? I don't see why I should hand over a sim card that has been paid for up until the end of the month, plus, don't sim cards hold personal info? My listing didnt mention the sim card coming with it, then again it didnt mention it wouldnt come with it.

anyway, ive offered him a refund, just wondered who is in the right/wrong.

Did you disclose in the product description that you were selling it minus the micro sim? If you did not then you might have to give up the sim.

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I think it's a simple misunderstanding.

If I were you I'd offer to buy him a new SIM card, simply so you don't have to go through the dispute.

Sure it'll cost you $15, but also might save you one hell of a headache.

My thoughts exactly. Quickest route to resolution.

Cagle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
At first I was on your side, but after seening your listing I would have expected a sim card to come with it also. Seems like you are doing the right thing by offering him a sim or refund. good luck

he acepted the $15 refund and managed to buy one from at&t. it was nice having so many on my side, even if it was for only 10 minutes :cool:

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
To be fair to the OP, he did give a list of what was included and the Micro-SIM was not on the list. Just because the box says it comes with it doesn't mean the auction will come with it.
But still, at least he accepted the $15 for a new SIM.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I'm sorry, but this whole post doesn't make any sense to me. AT&T will give you a free SIM card when you sign up if you ask for one. Also, any time you order anything with a SIM card, I'm guessing the SIM card's serial number is linked to your personal information. That's why you ALWAYS remove the SIM card before reselling any device with a SIM card. ALWAYS!

Edit: Considering this was a replacement for an existing iPad, that old SIM card was definately linked to his AT&T account, therefore, it definitely should not have been sent with the iPad.

Last edited:

Knot ewe

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
AT&T will give you a free SIM card when you sign up if you ask for one. QUOTE]

That's what I thought, but haven't had to deal with an iPad. When activating a phone I have always been given a new sim.

Did the replacement iPad come with a new sim or was it removed from the old one? If it was new with the replacement then it shouldn't have had any personal info attached to it should it? I assumed that info was assigned to the sim upon activation with AT&T. I wouldn't expect a used Ipad to come with a sim nor would I include my sim if I sold my iPad, but the listing said it was a "brand new" replacement leaving room for uncertainty. Even if a used iPad came with a sim I would probably request a new one just beacuse.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
as ebay doesn;t seem to support the seller anymore. :mad:

You're not kidding about that. I sold an iPhone 3G when the iPhone 4 came out. I advertised the auction as a Jailbroken iPhone 3G. The guy that bought it lived in Australia, even though it was domestic auction. I agreed to send it to him, and I even paid the difference in shipping on my own dime, trying to be nice.

About a week later, I got scalding negative feedback from the same guy. He didn't understand the difference between "Jailbreak" and "Unlock" and got upset when he couldn't use the phone with his local carrier. Then, a few days later, he told me that it wasn't even Jailbroken, which it was when I sent it.

I tried to work it out with him to no avail. He was a complete jerk... cussing me out whenever he could. Through our conversations, he told me that he had connected the iPhone to his computer the day he got it, and did a full restore! Then, he proceeded to tell me that I should have told him not to restore the phone!

Thinking that this was enough to get the negative feedback reversed (considering he admitted to reversing the jailbreak when he restored the phone), I called eBay. I showed them the swear-laced emails, the harassment, and the admittance of guilt and they told me that there was nothing to be done.

I've been on eBay since 2005, and I've never once gotten negative feedback. So, one ignorant jackass has ruined my rating (now an 87%) and there's nothing I can do about it.

Bleh.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Even if it's a new sim, it would have been linked to the old sim by Apple when it was replaced. Just as if it was an iPhone replacement. I would think they would look up the imei (or whatever) number and sim numbers, see they were activated, and just change the numbers in their system for a seamless switch.

AT&T will give you a free SIM card when you sign up if you ask for one. QUOTE]

That's what I thought, but haven't had to deal with an iPad. When activating a phone I have always been given a new sim.
Did the replacement iPad come with a new sim or was it removed from the old one? If it was new with the replacement then it shouldn't have had any personal info attached to it should it? I assumed that info was assigned to the sim upon activation with AT&T. I wouldn't expect a used Ipad to come with a sim nor would I include my sim if I sold my iPad, but the listing said it was a "brand new" replacement leaving room for uncertainty. Even if a used iPad came with a sim I would probably request a new one just beacuse.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
You're not kidding about that. I sold an iPhone 3G when the iPhone 4 came out. I advertised the auction as a Jailbroken iPhone 3G. The guy that bought it lived in Australia, even though it was domestic auction. I agreed to send it to him, and I even paid the difference in shipping on my own dime, trying to be nice.

About a week later, I got scalding negative feedback from the same guy. He didn't understand the difference between "Jailbreak" and "Unlock" and got upset when he couldn't use the phone with his local carrier. Then, a few days later, he told me that it wasn't even Jailbroken, which it was when I sent it.

I tried to work it out with him to no avail. He was a complete jerk... cussing me out whenever he could. Through our conversations, he told me that he had connected the iPhone to his computer the day he got it, and did a full restore! Then, he proceeded to tell me that I should have told him not to restore the phone!

Thinking that this was enough to get the negative feedback reversed (considering he admitted to reversing the jailbreak when he restored the phone), I called eBay. I showed them the swear-laced emails, the harassment, and the admittance of guilt and they told me that there was nothing to be done.

I've been on eBay since 2005, and I've never once gotten negative feedback. So, one ignorant jackass has ruined my rating (now an 87%) and there's nothing I can do about it.

Bleh.

Exactly the reason I stopped selling on eBay. For people who go on and sell every once in a while, it's the absolute worst place to do business for various reasons.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I'm really surprised a SIM card costs money there, let alone $15. The networks give them out like free candy in the UK, in an attempt to win people to their network.

This is such an unusual thread—you'd NEVER see a complaint about lack of SIM cards here, if anything, it'll be a complaint that you didn't take your old SIM card out before shipping it. :p

(...Just thought I should make that pointless observation that helps no one.)

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
he acepted the $15 refund and managed to buy one from at&t. it was nice having so many on my side, even if it was for only 10 minutes
You have to enjoy those moments. They don't happen very often. :)

I mean, unless you're The Queen or something.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Wls5U.jpg

yep after seeing this i would have taken the auction to have included the sim card as well

Yeah that pretty much says it all. But it worked out so no worries.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
A used sim card cannot be activated once it's been deactivated. Even if the seller deactivated the card, then sent it to the buyer, he still wouldn't have been able to use it. I know this because I gave my iPhone 3GS to a friend when I got the iPhone 4. I left my old sim in the phone and we tried calling AT&T to activate it for him. Once they realized it was a used phone, with a used sim, they told him that he HAD to go to the AT&T store to get a new sim.

As for the eBay auction... it's obvious that you weren't truthful about the iPad never being turned on. You clearly activated the iPad because the sim card had been activated. You should have been truthful about that and none of this would have happened.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Removing a chip from inside the iPad that reduces it's functionality is a wee bit different not including a cable.

Without the sim card, it is not a fully functional iPad. I am totally with the buyer on this one 100%. I haven't read the auction description, but he was sent an iPad that is not fully functional and is rightly pissed. In fact, novice users might not even know that it needs a sim card and complain to eBay tha tyou sent a broken one.

It's not quite that straightforward though - the SIM card had been activated and is therefore tied to a specific individual. If he were to hand over the SIM card it would need to be disconnected first as he cannot nor is he obliged to give someone access to his account. Therefore, the SIM would be of no use anyway as it would need replacing with a new SIM.

However, having said that, the auction should have either disclosed that it does not include a SIM, or a brand new and unactivated SIM should have been included. I think it is an honest mistake and offering a $15 refund is more than fair - the buyer also carries some responsibility for not explicitly ensuring that a SIM was included. Caveat Emptor.

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I bought a used 3G iPad a few months back and walked into an AT&T store and got a free sim with no issues. AT&T customer service will tell you over the phone that it costs $15 for a new one, but any in-store rep will just hand you one.

He probably just got a $15 discount off you, but it is only $15 and if it stops him from crying like a girl, it was probably worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.