iPad movie rentals cannot be transferred to computer!?!?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by arcsbite, Apr 24, 2010.

1. arcsbite Guest

So I was sitting browsing the iTunes store and grabbed 5 or 6 rentals to watch this month.
    Then I see in the terms that movies rented on iPad cannot be transferred to computers?
    I usually rent on my iMac and watch on the Mac or on the move, now I have 30 days, 6 rentals and no option but to watch them on my iPad :mad:

Is this news to anyone or did I just miss it?

2. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Oh no another thing the Ipad can't do!
    Whatever shall we do?

If I was you and you feel thins strongly about this I would call Apple, explain the situation and I would almost bet they would give you a onetime concession to transfer or get them off the server and on to your other computer.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I think the rule is that they cN only be on one device at a time. Don't you have to delete from iPad first?

4. arcsbite thread starter Guest

No need to be a tool.:rolleyes:
    Love my iPad, just was a bit miffed to find it has it's own set of rental rules, and wasn't sure if it was common knowledge.

"movies rented on your iPad must be watched on your iPad and cannot be transferred to any other computer or device"

5. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Well, that's new and is very stupid! Why is the iPad special?

6. VladM macrumors regular

Apple being their stupid selves again. Mark my words, this kind of attitude will hurt them.

7. Bcadiere macrumors newbie

As a work around this problem I purchased the component AV cable. Now all the movies I rent on my iPad can be watched on my tv. It was easy to hook up and charges the iPad while in use.

8. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I only knew from browsing sites like this enough. Others will have to check, but I think it was mentioned you can rent the movies off the computer and transfer them to the iPad, just not vice versa. Makes so little sense I imagine a lot of people are caught off guard by the backward rules. Maybe if it was cheaper for an iPad only rental. Can that vga video out be used for movie rentals?

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

More likely it's the studios making the rules, not Apple.

10. Bcadiere macrumors newbie

The AV cable works for any video I downloaded from iTunes.

11. arcsbite thread starter Guest

AV cable won't fit into the back of my iMac tho

12. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I have the same problem and I just found this article on mroogle. You can put it onto your computer from like the iPhone but not from the iPad. Does seem really dull, hopefully iOS 4.2 will solve this problem so I guess I'll be watching my rental on my iPad tonight.

13. muon25 macrumors member

muon25

Rentals on the iPhone have the same limitation.

14. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I'm sure I've transferred them before. You can only have them on one device at a time and you need Internet connect to transfer them.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's also the same for the original Apple TV - rentals made on there can't be transferred back to a computer.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As they say, DRM and other such rules only hurt honest people.

It's the crazy situation of the modern world, the law breakers who pirate stuff get the best items and can use them freely on any devices for ever.

The law abiding people who pay for things, are the ones that get the worst products.

One day they will look back and realise how crazy this situation is.

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Could it be that they don't trust you and think that if you can move the movie to your computer that you might store it there?

That would kind of destroy the idea of rental wouldn't it?

18. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Blame the studios for their draconian rules they make Apple play by. I don't think Apple is at fault here.

19. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

If you have apple tv you could use airplay, I suppose.

20. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

not yet!! video streaming from iPad to apple TV through airplay is only supported in 4.2 which is not out until next month.

Even if he had the beta 4.2, from what I hear the video streaming is still not working in it yet.

21. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

It depends what model you have. iPhone 4 doesn't allow transfer of rentals from the iPhone.

22. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

yep. I could have them on my Mac or on my iPad, but not both. I bought them on my iPad and transferred them to my Mac, and back again, no problem. I don't know if transfers are limited if you start watching the rental on the device you chose.

23. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

That's why you rent a physical disk, from a movie store, then you can watch it on any device you please.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1. If Apple had their way you'd be able to watch any content, on any device, DRM free.

Steve Jobs already wrote a letter about that long ago but trolls just keep wanting to hate Apple so they blame Apple without doing any research.

25. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Just another of many reasons that the iPad has to improve upon before I make my purchase. It should have been addressed instantly!