iPad movie rentals cannot be transferred to computer!?!?

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
So I was sitting browsing the iTunes store and grabbed 5 or 6 rentals to watch this month.
Then I see in the terms that movies rented on iPad cannot be transferred to computers?
I usually rent on my iMac and watch on the Mac or on the move, now I have 30 days, 6 rentals and no option but to watch them on my iPad :mad:

Is this news to anyone or did I just miss it?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Oh no another thing the Ipad can't do!
Whatever shall we do?

If I was you and you feel thins strongly about this I would call Apple, explain the situation and I would almost bet they would give you a onetime concession to transfer or get them off the server and on to your other computer.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Oh no another thing the Ipad can't do!
Whatever shall we do?

If I was you and you feel thins strongly about this I would call Apple, explain the situation and I would almost bet they would give you a onetime concession to transfer or get them off the server and on to your other computer.
No need to be a tool.:rolleyes:
Love my iPad, just was a bit miffed to find it has it's own set of rental rules, and wasn't sure if it was common knowledge.

I think the rule is that they cN only be on one device at a time. Don't you have to delete from iPad first?
"movies rented on your iPad must be watched on your iPad and cannot be transferred to any other computer or device"

VladM

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Apple being their stupid selves again. Mark my words, this kind of attitude will hurt them.

Bcadiere

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
As a work around this problem I purchased the component AV cable. Now all the movies I rent on my iPad can be watched on my tv. It was easy to hook up and charges the iPad while in use.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I only knew from browsing sites like this enough. Others will have to check, but I think it was mentioned you can rent the movies off the computer and transfer them to the iPad, just not vice versa. Makes so little sense I imagine a lot of people are caught off guard by the backward rules. Maybe if it was cheaper for an iPad only rental. Can that vga video out be used for movie rentals?

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I have the same problem and I just found this article on mroogle. You can put it onto your computer from like the iPhone but not from the iPad. Does seem really dull, hopefully iOS 4.2 will solve this problem so I guess I'll be watching my rental on my iPad tonight.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
As they say, DRM and other such rules only hurt honest people.

It's the crazy situation of the modern world, the law breakers who pirate stuff get the best items and can use them freely on any devices for ever.

The law abiding people who pay for things, are the ones that get the worst products.

One day they will look back and realise how crazy this situation is.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Could it be that they don't trust you and think that if you can move the movie to your computer that you might store it there?

That would kind of destroy the idea of rental wouldn't it?

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
If you have apple tv you could use airplay, I suppose.
not yet!! video streaming from iPad to apple TV through airplay is only supported in 4.2 which is not out until next month.

Even if he had the beta 4.2, from what I hear the video streaming is still not working in it yet.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I'm sure I've transferred them before. You can only have them on one device at a time and you need Internet connect to transfer them.
yep. I could have them on my Mac or on my iPad, but not both. I bought them on my iPad and transferred them to my Mac, and back again, no problem. I don't know if transfers are limited if you start watching the rental on the device you chose.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
More likely it's the studios making the rules, not Apple.
+1. If Apple had their way you'd be able to watch any content, on any device, DRM free.

Steve Jobs already wrote a letter about that long ago but trolls just keep wanting to hate Apple so they blame Apple without doing any research.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Just another of many reasons that the iPad has to improve upon before I make my purchase. It should have been addressed instantly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.