Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Hi.

If I hold down the top button then slide the bar at the top to switch off the ipad, next time I turn it on, I get the screen showing the itunes logo with the cable and plug.

If it's just in standby it's fine, but whenever I power it down fully I get this when I turn it on.

Almost as soon as I plug it into my Mac I get my normal lock screen.

Why does it do this?

pfft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I saw an iPhone doing that yesterday (sort of) and a recovery didn't work but manually installing the .ipsw fixed it.

That probably doesn't help but there we go.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The first time you use the iPad, you have to plug it into iTunes. You should only have to do it once, though.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
It's not let me register it yet. itunes keeps saying the server is down. Would that have anything to do with it?

It's synching ok with itunes though.

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
It's not let me register it yet. itunes keeps saying the server is down. Would that have anything to do with it?

It's synching ok with itunes though.

That will be the entire problem. Get it registered then see if the problem persists.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
That will be the entire problem. Get it registered then see if the problem persists.

No it wont, i've never registered my iPad and i can turn it off/on as much as i like and don't have to connect it to itunes.

It sounds to me like a defective flash drive and some files to do with startup are corrupting themselves.

rphiggins

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Mine does too

Sorry but glad to see someone else has the problem. If I do a normal restore then it loses wifi and bluetooth.
I fixed it by doing a dfu - see my thread here
But it still does it every few days or so.

I am waiting for stock in the uk to take it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.