iPad on Three (UK)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SayCheese, Apr 19, 2012.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are looking to get an iPad 3 here in the UK.
    Having had a look around the best deal appears to be with three.co.uk and the £99 one off cost then £29/month for 24 months giving 15Gb Data a month.

Does anyone have any experiences with three? I have heard of them and only know that a few years ago they were not regarded as being very good.
    Have they changed and improved or are they still having issues?

All opinions appreciated.

Regards

2. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Search the forum, there's a massive thread on Three.

The general consensus is they have the best 3G deals, coverage and speeds, but their customer service could charitably be described as ****.

3. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

My experience of 3 is that they have great coverage, speed and prices. I highly reccomend them. Ive been using their 15GB dongle for 3yrs and rarely had problems. CS might not be great but look at the price you are paying. If you want better service for a little more with a 3GB cap try one of the others. There is also an ongoing issue of the hotspot feature you might want to keep in mind.

4. atjames macrumors newbie

3 are great, I always have quicker download speeds then everyone else I know and I always have 3G coverage.

And that's coming from an ex O2 employey.

5. aoaaron macrumors 6502

3 coverage and 3G speed/availabilty kills my iPhone on vodafone FYI

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

OP-just FYI, the iPad will be locked to 3 and won't take any other SIMs.

If you're not planning on using it abroad, then there shouldn't really be an issue, but I thought I'd give you the heads up.

7. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Make sure you check their coverage maps for data. I'm in Scotland and the coverage out of towns etc is garbage. Other than that they are ok.

8. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all for the information. Pretty much what I had been lead to believe with regards to the customer service.

Glad to hear however that the speed is good.

I am assuming however that it will still work abroad ok if I take the sim out of it and use it as a wifi only iPad?

9. Woomy123 macrumors regular

I was with 3 when I had my iPad 1, I had great coverage everywhere I went, and the 3G speeds where fast(4-8mb), they out did my speeds on my iPhone 4 with O2 (2-3mb), I never had to deal with customer service as I setup in shop and never had any problems with them, so managed to avoid having to call there centres in INDIA!

10. Dangerous Theory, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Been with three on my iPad 2 and iPhone since October last year. The data service is excellent in my experience - loads of coverage and average speeds that are much faster than other networks (O2 and tmobile in my personal experience). The value is vastly better than other providers, and if you think you'll consume a lot of data then Three is a must. 15GB gives you huge flexibility compared to the usual 1GB data you get elsewhere.

The only thing I can't comment on is their customer service because I've never needed to use it. I have heard mixed reviews, as with any provider.

It's also an excellent way of getting a cheap iPad (£99 upfront) and spacing out the payments as well as the benefit of data as long as you're happy to pay a total of £795 (99 + 29x24) over the 2 years. This amounts to £296 on top of the iPad value (£499). 296/24 = ~£12.30 a month on data

11. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all for the help and advice. We are going to go looking for an iPad 3 tomorrow morning.
    We are going to go and see if we can get it from Carphone Warehouse. The thinking being that if we get an issue we speak to them and they can deal with 3.

That's what my calculations worked out at. I reckon that's a pretty fair price for 15Gb of data a month.

12. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Not sure if you would be interested, but if you order online you may be able to get £33 cash back through Quidco.

http://www.quidco.com/three-mobile-broadband/

I got £109 cash back on my last mobile contact thanks to Quidco which was an additional benefit to choosing Three.

13. Azzin macrumors 68040

Absolutely.

14. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent, thanks.
    Only my GF and I are off abroad on our holidays in a month or so time and wanted to take it with us.

15. Bubblemind macrumors newbie

Three - speed

Hi,

Using the 'SpeedTest.net' app on the iPad (3rd gen) I'm getting around 5Mbps on three in the day. Have had over 10Mbps at night.
    (Ipswich, UK)

My wife gets only 2meg on her iPhone 4S on Vodafone same app same location.

Bubble

16. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

We went shopping at the weekend and nowhere had any in stock. Looks like we are going to have to order online.

17. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I've generally had no problems with them, other than today (see the post I started in the iPad forum!). Their coverage is great, and they can't be beaten on price.

Only thing I would be wary of, and is what's caused my problem today, is Three still send billing and data warning notifications by text... knowing the iPad can't receive them, and they're not backed up by emails either. This means, unless you check the Three app on a regular basis, you won't know when you've ran out of data or when you bill has been issued...

But other than that, minor (though pretty irritating) flaw they've been okay.

18. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Just to let you know, you don't even need to take out the 3 sim when abroad. 3 have international roaming disabled by default. You won't pick up any networks abroad. It will just say "No Service"

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I get a faster connection on my iPad that I do on home ADSL... and that's with 3 bars.

I've also found that I can stream netflix with no buffering on only 1 bar. In short their signal is great. As for customer service? No idea, haven't had to deal with them. I bought my ipad on contract with 3 from the apple store so I wouldn't have to deal with them.

As far as I can tell you can use the mobile hotspot feature with it too.

And as for going abroad, 3 seem to be good about unlocking within days of starting the contract, or you can just use the toggle on cellular data to turn it off to be sure of no data roaming charges.

20. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

As I said in the above post. Three has international roaming off by default on all broadband sims anyway.

21. Primus84 macrumors 6502

I wasn't aware Apple stores were selling iPads on contract?

22. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Neither was I, I was in there asking about stock availability and mentioned that one of the options I was considering was a contract on three, the sales guy said they could do that there for me, I had no idea! I thought it was PAYG only. I went back a couple of days later, and indeed, got a "on contract" ipad from the apple store. Saved me from the three sales staff.

23. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Ive bought a new WiFi iPad and also recently switched my iPhone 4's Tesco mobile contract to Three's 'One plan'. The idea is that if and when needed I will use the all you can eat data and tether my iPad to my phone.

So far my experience with Threes customer service is that although they may not solve the problem, well they couldn't in my case (a bad signal issue)..they do come across very friendly and polite offering ring backs etc

The good thing is, it's a 1 month rolling contract so if the bad reception issues I'm facing at home becomes intolerable, I'll cancel.

24. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Interesting! I wonder why they don't advertise this fact.

25. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wasn't aware of this either.
    Can I ask what contract you have got with 3? One month rolling or 24 month locked in? How much data?