Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad Opening Weekend Pre-Orders Pegged at Roughly 150,000 Units

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Fortune continues following an organized effort being made to track iPad pre-orders in the U.S., noting that demand for Apple's new tablet device has significantly tapered off since Friday's pre-order launch and settled in the neighborhood of 150,000 as a rough estimate for the first three days of availability.
According to Daniel Tello, the Venezuelan blogger-analyst who has been tracking order numbers submitted by volunteers at Investor Village's AAPL Sanity board, orders on Saturday and Sunday slowed to an estimated 1,000 per hour.
Based on his analysis as the initial push from the launch day wears off, Tello predicts that Apple may see about 500,000 pre-orders and reservations by the time the iPad officially becomes available on April 3rd.
"My best guess, although very tentative given the early stage and few data we have so far, would be that they hit the 1 million unit milestone by the second week after it ships," he told Fortune. "But this is a very speculative guesstimate based on just a weekend of pre-orders."
Tello's formula for calculating iPad sales comes from a sampling of Order ID numbers from Apple customers adjusted for expected sales of non-iPad products and a weighting based on average number of iPads expected per order (currently 1.125).

Article Link: iPad Opening Weekend Pre-Orders Pegged at Roughly 150,000 Units

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Even I expected that the iPad would do better before the launch. (Although, the first two hours were great).

I suppose, you can find half a million dedicated users, journalists, developers, people involved in the industry and people not caring to pay whatever the latest gadgets cost; but after that, the iPad has to stand on its own merits.

I am still confident that they can sell a million of these things within a few weeks after launch.

Comment

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Sweet figures.

Do Apple have a tendency to sort of reveal 'actual' figures in a PR release or do they just keep it 'hush hush'?

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Prediction: in the next few months Apple will change its customer order numbering system so that this type of info can't be tracked by 3rd parties in the future.

Comment

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Shows how little the cynicism of fanboys and tech nerds actually means :p

Comment

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
I don't quite understand the negative spin implied by the article.

These numbers are incredible. It took Apple 74 days to sell one million iPhones in 2007. If iPad sells a million units in two weeks, that's phenomenal.

I was about to post to ask whether or not this was considered good.

I guess so. :eek:

Comment

RasterScan

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
FL
Yeah, I also didn't expect them to fly off of the shelves on launch.

By the holidays, everyone will want one.

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The numbers are nothing staggering, but not bad at all for a device that 99% of the people who ordered have never actually seen or held. Not bad at all.

Comment

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Not yet....

I want an iPad for sure, but NOT the first generation, for sure too. :) I'm guessing that lots of others feel the same as me and are not willing to shell out for totally new, unproven and untested (at least in real use) technology. It's only a happy coincidence that I'm a Canuck and will have to wait months anyway..:rolleyes:

Rich :cool:

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003

These numbers are incredible. It took Apple 74 days to sell one million iPhones in 2007. If iPad sells a million units in two weeks, that's phenomenal.

Excellent point. Relative to the insane sales numbers of the first few hours, this new level of sales looks greatly reduced, but compared to the sales numbers of other smash-hit devices, the iPad's sales numbers look really really good.

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
I'm not an Apple hater...but there is NO WAY that I believe Apple will sell 1 million iPads within 2 weeks of launch. I am not sure if the 1 million number is counting the entire globe or just the USA. It strikes me to be a very high number during a recession for a magical device that starts at $500 that, to a very high percentage of consumers in the USA, is just a supplemental device to their iPod, iPhone, Laptop, Netbook, or all of the above.

I'd say 1 million within 4-6 weeks. If it beats my guess, that's great for Apple.

Me? I'm gonna wait at least 3-4 months to see how users like it (not just Apple fanboys and Apple haters) before even thinking about buying one. Very likely I would treat myself in December if the reviews were good...and definitely if the prices dropped.

-Eric

Comment

karmachrome

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008

I guess I don't see the negativity of the article - was the iPad ever expected to more than a niche product?

Comment

Blueflame1138

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Selling an estimated 1000 per hour of anything these days is pretty groovy. Although knowing these forums as we do, there will be those crying "fail fail".

Comment

FaustsHausUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
totally new, unproven and untested (at least in real use) technology.

The technology is proven and tested - seeing as it's merely an extension of the iPhone and iPod Touch. It's just the use cases for it that are up in the air.

You're definitely right about that holding people back, though. I wouldn't even be getting one were it not for being impossible to buy for on a major birthday.

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
It's not about wanting one but buying...

By the holidays, everyone will want one.

By the holidays, there will be some very good tablets on the market. I still want an iPad, that's right. I'm just not sure, whether I will buy one. That's the same with a lot of us.

Comment

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
It also doesnt include preorders for pick up at the store so that number is obviously higher. 1 Million sold by the first couple weeks of launch would be considered a huge success.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.