iPad or iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Jul 26, 2010.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Would it be more worth it to purchase a $500 iPad, or a $200 iBook.
    Where as the iPad might be faster at things, the iBook G4 has Mac OS X.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you answered you question yourself already ;)
    obviously you want OSX
    and to be honest the iPad is just a iphone on steroids , but even lacks some of the functions of the iphone
    and for speed thats relative and you forgot something

...the screen size of a ipad is just to small to comfy use it for longer

at the iBook you can at least choose between a 12 " and 14" screen and a g4 processor with up to 1.42 ghz

but there would be another alternative and thats a powerbook g4 where you also can get 12" .15" and even 17" and a G4 processor up to 1.67ghz

and with both the ibook and powerbook you get a fully functioning computer running osx ;)

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Two things to ask yourself. 1: Do you want an iPad, or an actual computer? 2: Do you have better things to spend the $300 difference on?

4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

ibook, it has so much more functionality, my dad had the same choice as you and chose to get a macbook over an ipad

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

I feel like the iBook will do more for you. Even though it is going to be old, the iBook is still very capable. OS X > iOS (in my opinion)

6. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

The iBook will struggle with Flash based websites and can not play BluRay movies.

7. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

No current Mac can play blurays so that point is not relevant.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What are you planning to use the iPad or iBook G4 for?

9. crobbins macrumors 6502

The iPad will not play flash either..

10. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Well the iBook does not have FW800 or a glossy display. Do not think it can run Snow Leopard either.

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Well the iBook and iPad have the same resolution at 1024x768 but the iPad's screen is 100x more better. There was basically no difference between the 12" and 14" iBooks. You will basically get the same web browsing experience minus Flash on the iPad but it will be slow anyways on the iBook/Powerbook.

Battery life is another area to question too. You can get 4-5 usable hours on an iBook if you have a very good battery, otherwise you typically get 2-3 hours on them. You can expect at least twice that on the iPad.

If you already have another computer running OS-X then the iPad is a good choice but remember the iPad can't/won't replace any computer. The 12" form factor of the iBook/Powerbook is probably the best Apple had ever designed.

12. EDF macrumors member

I say keep searching for an older iBook or PowerBook.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

None of the PPC laptops have glossy displays and SL is Intel-only.

My vote is the iBook (or, since you're obviously willing to spend $500, a PowerBook). There's a lot you can't do on the iPad (true multitasking, for starters). Also, if you do go the iBook route, make sure to remember that the 14" and the 12" have the exact same screen resolution...

Completely off topic: @OP, your sig says that you have the "original" iMac, but the original one was actually 233 MHz, not 266. ;)

14. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

I guess, like others have pointed out, it depends on what you want to do. My Wife and I have iPads and they are great for mobility movie watching and some of the game apps are great and look amazing. But if you can spend $500 and want to do more productive work, iThinkergoiMac has a great idea in getting a PowerBook. I still use my 17" 1.67Ghz HD PowerBook for a lot and no matter what, typing on the late model PowerBook G4's is phenomenal. The keys and keyboard lighting look as great as they feel.

But again, the iPad is good for some entertainment and apps.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

an iBook G4 would make me want to scream for what i'd want to use it for on the go. too bulky, too heavy, too slow to get things done, and a short battery life. even my netbook was cumbersome. at least in comparison to the iPad. its really the best portable device out there, at least for me.

it all boils down to your needs and uses, get which will fill the role best for you.

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you find a good used iBook G5, let me know :)

17. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

hahaha :D

18. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

ok some might like the iPad , but i just do not get the idea of a iPad , what it is for actually ? for me it just looks like a iPhone on steroids ,with less functionality ,but even more important if i want to read eMails or look up some websites on the move i just dont want to scroll like a maniac or having to use a magnifying glass

but maybe i am just to old for such gadgets like the iPad

ok i might find a use for it as its the first apple product since the transition to intel that does not come with a intel processor , the processor in the iPad is ARM based , so anything thats not intel based draws my attention

19. sananda macrumors 68020

I have both. iBook is well slow and not so good on battery life but you can do a lot more with it because it has OSX. So I guess it depends what activities you intend for this buy.

20. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

I giggled.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I say go with the iPad.

What are you really going to be doing whilst you're out and about, sat on the couch or in bed?

If you really want something that met the way the iBook was but with slightly better performance and snow leopard compatibility, I'd say go for a netbook with a 32GB or 64GB SSD.

22. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

It really depends, i see the iPad as best used in conjunction with a computer, not a replacement. So if you have another computer to use it with, go with the iPad, if Not go the iBook

23. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I hate to be a grammar Nazi...but "more better" is incorrect use of the comparative form.
    ;)

24. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Anyway, iBook G4 IMO.

The best option would be for you to get a PowerBook G4 12" off craigslist for a good price. I got one for $250 in mint condition with box and OS X install discs (for Tiger.)

I've owned an iBook G4, and its logic board failed. When that was replaced, it failed again. Then it went out of warranty...and failed. Seeing a trend? I fixed it, and another component failed.

My PowerBook has not had a hardware related problem at all.

So if you DO choose to go the iBook route, which I think is a more functional machine than the iPad, you're taking a gamble.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you want to do normal comuting tasks, like:

Typing documents.
    Surfing the internet for long peroids of time.
    Running programs that normal computers run.

I'd get the iBook or PowerBook G4. They are cheaper, they are an actual computer and they can still run Leopard and preform pretty well :D

-Good luck!!!