Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
If you want to do normal comuting tasks, like:

Typing documents.
Surfing the internet for long peroids of time.
Running programs that normal computers run.

I'd get the iBook or PowerBook G4. They are cheaper, they are an actual computer and they can still run Leopard and preform pretty well :D

-Good luck!!!

This. My upgraded iBook works awesome for what I need it for, and can still do some things an iPad wouldn't do, despite it's age. Also, for the cash spent on an iPad, I could have bought and upgraded three iBooks. :D

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Judging from your sig, OP, you're used to an eMac. (High five! :D) I would assume this means an iBook would not be much of a speed drop for you, if at all. They're fantastic little machines, I owned the 12" 1.33 GHz version for just over a year, and never had any issues with it. (except for the dc-in board, but it was an easy and cheap fix) If you prefer OS X over iOS, the iBook will definitely serve your needs and maybe then some. But they are starting to show their age these days, and probably wont load web pages as fast as an iPad will, and most likely have a shorter battery life. On the other hand, the iBook basically does everything else better. So it's all about what your priorities are in the end.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
It really depends whether you have a newer Mac already which the iPad is meant to complement. It will never be a computer replacement by itself.

After hanging on to G3 and G4 powerbooks for years, I realised that once you have a newer computer, you will hardly use the older ones. The screen just wasn't as bright, video streaming was choppier, my G3 powerbook had the inverter whine which bothered me once I got used to the silence of my MacBook, etc. So if you already have a newer Mac laptop, I suggest spending the $200 for something else than an iBook. Otherwise, it's a good first Mac.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
As others said, it depends on what you want an iBook, PowerBook or iPad for. If you're just going to surf the internet and listen to music, an iPad would be a better choice, but if you plan on doing some content creation, the iBook or PowerBook would be a better choice. PowerPC Macs can't run Snow Leopard, but if SL/Intel-only apps compatibility isn't a pressing need for you, the 'Books aren't a bad choice.

If you get an iBook G4, I'd recommend the late 2005 models. The previous ones (2004 and earlier) might have logic board problems. I made the mistake of buying an early 2004 iBook (used, fortunately) which had the telltale chip soldering problem. I got a 2005 model 14-incher afterwards which I had until I got this MBP. The 2005 iBooks (1.42 GHz 14" and 1.33 GHz 12") are the most reliable ones of the pack.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
I would go with an iBook if I were you (or a powerbook if you'd like) IMO its much better than the iPad. I think it would be a pain not having a physical keyboard built into a portable device. :rolleyes:

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
If I had the choice I would get the iBook instead of an iPad. I've had an iPad before and I was a little disappointed with it. Since the iBook G4 can run Mac OS X and can do a ton more even if it is older technology. I guess it all comes down to what your doing with the iPad and the iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.