ipad or ipad 2 dillema

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 10-Dee-Q, Aug 9, 2011.

1. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    hi, sorry if theese been asked before but i need help fast.
    okay, actually i don't really need an ipad, but i just want to play with it :p

i own a 15" MBP
    an iphone 4 32GB
    and a Blackberry bold 9780

thats the 3 devices that i carried everyday to work.

the blackberry is for calling and instant messaging.
    the iphone 4 is for watching videos, playing games and taking pictures (still can't believe how good the camera on this phone)
    and the MBP is for working, mostly just browsing, and text editing in excel.

anyway today i was offered an ipad 1 64GB 3G brand new for the same price as ipad 2 16GB wifi.

so im in a little bit dillema wheter to buy it or not

i wont settle for a 16GB ipad , thats why i dont intend to buy the ipad 2 64GB 3G which is still quite expensive and i planned mostly to use my ipad for emegazine, ebook, and browsing and watching movies only as for playing games, i dont know why , i preffer to play in my iphone, maybe because its smaller and less tiring on the hand.

so if that's my requirement , is getting the ipad 1 worth it ?
    is it really that twice as slow as the ipad 2 for the things that i like to do in it ?
    reading ebook, emegazine and watching movies and browsing ?
    dont care bout the camera, facetime and gaming cause like i said i have my iphone 4 for that , and i'll immidiatelly will upgrade to and iphone 5 when its come out.

so please gimme your opinions, thank you.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

You'd be stupid to get the first generation iPad now, don't think about capacity so much as you don't need to have your entire music collection on both your iPad and your iPhone plus with videos you don't need to store your entire collection at a time either, you can just grab movies from your MBP before leaving for a trip etc.

I recommend the 16GB iPad 2, just don't sync your music and leave your iPhone with iPod duties, it would be pretty difficult to fill your iPad solely with apps that you use (hoarding is different and stupid imho) and the apps you do use should leave plenty of room for several movies, for example I still have 6.6GB left with all the apps I use including big ones like Real Racing 2 HD and Asphalt 6 HD plus just one movie at the moment, so I could still fit at least 4 or 5 more movies, plenty for on the go.

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

OP.

I had the same questions earlier in the year, and believe it or not I still stand on my premiss the iPad1 is a great value; excellent in fact.

Have a look at the following thread. Many posters have different views and will hopefully give you some guidance as to what you are looking at/for in your purchase.

Good luck.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1118789

4. 10-Dee-Q thread starter macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    okay thx for the inputs
    i just want to know what ipad 2 can do that ipad 1 cant except for the face time and tha camera?
    and is the "speed" really difference ?

5. bbulzibar macrumors newbie

IMO the biggest difference is the crashing. iPad 1 crashes a lot more for me, I think due to less ram. iPad 2 doesn't really crash in my experience. This is huuuuuge. Having the browser crash when you are browing with 5-7 tabs open is really, really annoying.

6. bufffilm, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

i would think it over more carefully before you decide on getting an ipad1.

at the time the ipad2 was introduced, the ipad1 was still a very viable tablet, but with the pending iOS5 release and the lack of certain features which won't be enabled for the ipad1 (such as multi-gestures) along with the fact that we'll be about 18 months in since the ipad1 was first launched and with an ipad3 to [likely] launch in Q1 2012, the choice of an ipad1 over an ipad2 isn't nearly as clear-cut or compelling any more.

moreover, the ipad is one of those devices where you'll likely find new uses for it as you go along. you may think you'll only be using it now for ebooks, emags and movies, but in 6 months you could well find that you'll be using it in an entirely new and unexpected function.

when you buy electronics, it's generally not a good decision to buy even last year's technology unless you have a very specific use pattern and are very strapped for funds. if you amortize the $$$ savings that you saved to buy the older tablet over the period of ownership, usually it comes out to something like $10 a month or less.

in my own case, when i bought my ipad2 i had no interest in the cameras (i neither take [many] pictures nor video with my camera or ipad) nor do i skype or do other internet social networking on it. but only a month ago, my sister got an ipad2 and she uses facetime to keep in touch with me, my mom and her in-laws. she'll be going to europe for a 3 year work assignment shortly and we won't skip a beat now that we have the ipads.

7. mpaquette macrumors regular

From my experience, the biggest differences between the 2 generations are the speed and the weight/thickness. I found the speed difference between the 2 generations to be quite noticeable even when just rendering websites. To me, the iPad2 just feels better in the hand due it being thinner and lighter.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

For what you are going to be using it for, the iPad 1 would be fine. If you aren't the type to fool with using an external device for your content (therefore not needing much storage on the actual iPad), then you will not want a 16g iPad 2.

If you are a techie type who wants the latest and greatest and fiddling with moving things around to different hard drives, etc. doesn't bother you at all, then go for the iPad 2, to have the latest features, even without the storage space.

I currently have an iPad 1 and it works great for me - no problems at all. My daughter is VERY excited to get my iPad once I buy the 2 for myself (or perhaps the 3, depending on how long I want to wait).