Ipad or Ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eaglejay, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Eaglejay macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Not sure what to buy here. Im not really bothered about the size difference and having a camera on the Ipad2. Is the difference in the processer speeds noticeable?

Do any Ipad1 owners notice any problems running difference app's?

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. Ronnoco, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Indeed it is...I have a friend that had an iPad 1 and was very happy with it...that is until he played with my iPad2. He was blown away by the speed and graphics difference...he immediately went to the Apple store and bought an iPad2 (he didn't care if was the black model or the white one...as it turned out, they had the 32GB AT&T 3G black model he wanted in stock), then sold his 32 GB Wifi iPad 1 to his sister...
    The iPad1 is still a very good choice especially if you have no need for the camera's and don't care to play graphic intense games. You won't notice the speed difference if you've never used an iPad 2 anyway...iOS5 will also benefit the iPad1 as well...either way, you can't go wrong...

5. trsblader macrumors 6502

I'm asking myself the same questions. I don't think I'll use the camera a ton, but might use it some. Don't really intend on playing many graphics intense games, but I know I probably will if I have the ability. Seeing prices around me, I think I'm just springing for the iPad 2 because original iPad's sell for almost the same as a brand new iPad 2 still.

I'm pretty much using one for portability and battery life. 10+ hours sure beats 3 at most from my old macbook and I have an iMac for at home use. I can also replace 90% of my textbooks by using an iPad saving me tons of money and I don't have to carry/forget them for class.

6. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

don't forget form factor and weight.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

If you have the money, you won't at all regret purchasing the iPad 2 especially if this is your first iPad...I have a college student nephew that bought one in March and according to him, "it was a life-changer"...LOL

8. xxstatic macrumors member

After playing with the iPad2 in the Apple store I promptly went home and listed my iPad1 for sale on craigslist.
    Bought the iPad2 and haven't looked back.:)

9. macrat macrumors regular

In addition to the faster processor, and the above, and the 720P video camera, and being able to do Facetime, not to mention brand new, not used - it's a no brainer. :D

If money is not a problem, just go and buy the iPad2 already. Would you buy last year's used car model over a brand new current and better model?

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm very happy with my iPad 1.

Note, over here in Japan, we are on contract for 3G service for 2 years. So next year, I will upgrade to the iPad 3.

Now, if I didn't have an iPad 1, then I would definitely get the iPad 2 because it's faster, has two cameras, it's lighter, etc.

12. Macalicious2011 macrumors member

If you can afford it then buy the iPad 2 sole for it's CPU. In late 2009 I bought an iPod touch and it functioned brilliantly, iOS4 that was released in 2010 made it even better and capable except for speed. It CPU was simply not designed for iOS4 and the device felt sluggish at times as iPhone 3GS users can attest to.

I'm afraid the iPad 1 will have it's kees buckled by iOS5 which will support notifications, improved multi-tasking and CPU taxing activities like background loading in Safari. The iPad 2 has a dual core A5 processor to deal with all that while the iPad 1 features an old single core processor.

And trust me when I say it, it's a hell of an annoying experience when your iDevice isn't running smooth as butter, so I'd be smart and invest in the future proof iPad 2.

13. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Yes, it is

14. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Your nephew is right. I'm currently in college and thanks to the iPad I have all I need for a class in one, lightweight, portable device. It actually makes attending class more enjoyable.

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Indeed...I've even read that some Universities supply the student body with iPads (not that it isn't somehow added in to the fees and tuition)...in fact, IIRC, it was MANDATORY at some of these schools...:eek:

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Get the iPad 2 it is thinner, lighter, front and rear facing cameras. Don't forget that it is faster of course. If you are on a budget and do not want to spend the extra money, then get the 1st gen iPad. Might as well experience the latest and greatest though right?:D

17. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have both, iPad1 purchased by me, iPad2 privided through employer.

For our use the difference is negligible.

We don't use the camera. My company made a bulk purchase and bought iPad2's only because it was the current model.

18. Skika macrumors 68030

Proper Multitasking

While iPad 1 has multitasking, it really can handle only few apps with its 256 mb of RAM.

iPad 2 handles multitasking much better.

19. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

You need to do a bit of forward thinking. Unless you're planning on getting the iPad3, remember, that while the iPad1 may work with iOS 5.0, as features are added, in to iOS6, the iPad1 will be left behind before iPad 2 is.

20. riam macrumors regular

You should consider the mirror capability, I use it a lot, and with iPad you can't do that

21. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Let's call it fast-app-switching :)

22. Eaglejay thread starter macrumors newbie

Budget is the key thing here so I have deicided to go for an Ipad 1, gotta say I love it! thanks for all the responses.

23. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Congrats! You're gonna have some fun with that new iPad! :)

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Congrats!

25. abriwin macrumors member

Sound quality on iP 2

Has anyone who has just upgraded from 1 to 2, as I have, noticed that the sound quality on 2 seems not as good as 1? Have I just got a duff one or does the thinner case affect the sound?