iPad Outnumbers Samsung Tablets 7-to-1 in 2Q 2012 Shipments

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we pointed to tablet estimates for the second quarter of 2012 from research firm Strategy Analytics, results that shows Apple continuing to dominate the tablet market with 68% of shipments during the quarter. Google's Android platform accounted for most of the remaining shipments, taking 29% of the market.

Worldwide Tablet Shipments in 2Q12 in Millions of Units (Source: IDC)

IDC has now released its own estimates of tablet shipments for the quarter, and while the overall picture is very similar to Strategy Analytics' numbers with estimates of 25 million tablets shipped and a 68% share for Apple's iPad, IDC offers an interesting look at the competition by breaking things down by manufacturer instead of by platform. According to IDC, Samsung remains the number two tablet manufacturer behind Apple, but despite strong 117.6% year-over-year shipment growth still saw its tablets outsold by the iPad by a margin of 7-to-1.
"Apple built upon its strong March iPad launch and ended the quarter with its best-ever shipment total for the iPad, outrunning even the impressive shipment record it set in the fourth quarter of last year," said Tom Mainelli, research director, Mobile Connected Devices. "The vast majority of consumers continue to favor the iPad over competitors, and Apple is seeing increasingly strong interest in the device from vertical markets--especially education. While iPad shipment totals are beginning to slow a bit in mature markets where the device saw early traction, growth in other regions is clearly more than making up the difference."
Growth in tablets is clearly occurring at the top of the market, with Apple, Samsung, and ASUS experiencing strong year-over-year growth and Amazon having a strong entry into the market with its Kindle Fire. Smaller players are seeing their shares of the market shrink, with Acer's shipments dropping nearly 40% and the collective "other" smaller manufacturers seeing their sales slide by 16%.

Apple's 17 million iPad shipments were a new record for the company as it rides the momentum of the new third-generation iPad and its lowest entry-level pricing ever with the Wi-Fi iPad 2 continuing to be available at a lower price of just $399. With competitors launching smaller tablets that have enabled them to push tablet pricing down toward $199, Apple is reportedly looking to launch its own "iPad mini" later this year with an eye toward capturing that portion of the market as well.

Article Link: iPad Outnumbers Samsung Tablets 7-to-1 in 2Q 2012 Shipments

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
If Apple really releases the smaller iPad at $249 imagine the numbers by January.

The only thing that could slow down the iPad at Christmas is whether or not Apple can keep up with demand.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
I love seeing Apple's big chunk of tablet marketshare. Its amazing that these competitors can't give Apple a good run for their money.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Samsung's growth percentage is rather large. They may be within a shot of taking Apple down in the tablet market if they play their cards right.

Then again, Microsoft Surface. I will most certainly getting one.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Remember kids: This is "SHIPMENTS". Not "SALES". Boxes sitting in a stockroom count.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Expect the Asus share of the market to jump substantially in the next quarter to account for Nexus 7 sales.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The bigger picture: shipments vs. sales... vs. returns.

And then how much people really use it if they do keep it!

supremedesigner

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Gainesville, Fl
I pretty much doubt Samsuck will never have many tablets as iPad. Remember how Eric was the Apple board a while back and he back stabbed them by releasing new Chrome, OS and phone? They never reveal the table idea to Eric so that's why it will never be successful, IMO.

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
Expect the Asus share of the market to jump substantially in the next quarter to account for Nexus 7 sales.
A limited quantity selling out does not mean that the Nexus 7 is selling well. Remember the Kindle Fire? And any further sales of the Nexus 7 will be dampened by an iPad Mini. Apple knows they have to fill in this price umbrella, and they are going to do it in a little over a month.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Remember kids: This is "SHIPMENTS". Not "SALES". Boxes sitting in a stockroom count.
Right, but no manufacturer can give an accurate sales number. Apple has a better chance given that it sells a lot directly but the actual sales number for any device like this will always be a guess at best.

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
Microsoft Surface, c'mon faster...
Its ad on YouTube has over 6 million views :O
I don't think Surface is going to take down the iPad.

A) The RT version is not full Windows 8
B) The Pro version is not going to be cheap
C) People may not like Windows 8.
D) People increasingly don't like Windows in general.

I don't think the Surface is the home run people think it's going to be.

----------

Right, but no manufacturer can give an accurate sales number. Apple has a better chance given that it sells a lot directly but the actual sales number for any device like this will always be a guess at best.
Apple constantly sells "every iPad they can make", so when they give shipment numbers, that's pretty much the same as sales numbers. Everyone else gives shipment numbers and then the units rot on the shelves, maybe except for the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Well, it's the last bastion. Maybe they out-sold Samsung 7 to 1 in the tablet market (while Samsung sold twice as many smartphones as Apple in the last quarter), but that does not change the fact that the tablet market is growing and that other players are already gaining market share.

With Windows 8 and the flood of tablets that were designed for Window 8 around the corner, the tablet market will soon change significantly. Microsoft, like no other company on the market, always knew how to attract and treat developers - and developers make or break a platform. Microsoft also has the better development tools and a technology stack that is established in the enterprise/corporate/business sector. The times, they are a-changing. Back to as they were, I'd say.
I agree this data is somewhat outdated in that the Nexus 7 proves a decent Android tablet can be made so Apple's grip on the tablet market may soon loosen up a bit. It will be interesting to see how marketshare shape out for the last half of the year.

But your Microsoft argument is a bit "chicken or egg." Frankly, I think most Windows developers became such not because MS was good to them, but because it is the default computer OS. Even now they still own 85%. You go where the money is.

By that same concept devs flocked to iOS, and Android was 2nd string, not because they preferred Apple to Google, but because iOS had incredible growth and the iOS App Store made quite easy for a dev with a good idea to literally become an overnight millionaire.

I don't think Win 8 is going to be widely adopted b/c Win 8 for the PC isn't something the business world is going to quickly install. They are going to hold onto Win 7 as long as they can for stability. The tablet race is really between Google and Apple. But if Apple does come out with an lower cost 7" in the next few months, then it's really "game over." Google isn't making money on Nexus 7 so it can't lower the price further.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Microsoft Surface, c'mon faster...
Its ad on YouTube has over 6 million views :O
Another one bites the dust. Macrumours, please bring back the downvote button. Also consider adding a "hidden because of too many downvotes" threshold.

PS. IGNORE list update commencing.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I was kind of "meh" on the subject before, but now I'm excited at the prospect of an iPad mini. If it happens, Android and Kindle Fire tabs are in trouble. I'm sick of reading comics on my iPhone but the current iPad is too big and heavy for my e-reading needs (and expensive).

I kind of want an iPad mini now...

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Domination!​

Wait when the iPad mini comes. The huge sucking sound is the air being pulled out the lungs of competitors.
"This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size. Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

- Jobs

Can't wait to hear the workaround on this one

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
False. Unlike Samsung...Apple ships on a sales order. They do not list internal movement of stock from location to location. iPads are currently being shipped to consumer from the factory for US customers. Apple does not list inventory to their stores either.