Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So for every 7 iPads sold, Samsung sold one of theirs.

Pretty impressive for Samsung considering the iPad's "must have" status.

There are a LOT of people looking with anticipation over Microsoft's tablet range starting in a few months time.
Going to be a slow burn at 1st of course, but could have a major impact over time.

Esp as Apple do seem rather out of and BIG ideas, apart from a yearly spec tweak.

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
The Nexus 7 was delayed indefinitely yesterday...not going to be much of a problem for the iPad.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Expect the Asus share of the market to jump substantially in the next quarter to account for Nexus 7 sales.

Nope.

For one, the distribution network for the Nexus 7 is borderline non-existent, which alone ensures it wont have a prayer of putting a dent in Apple's share.

Two, going into Q4 you got iPhone 5, and iPad mini, and Surface, and a great Windows 8 PC push. No one will be thinking about the Nexus 7.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
"This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size. Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

- Jobs

Can't wait to hear the workaround on this one

"People don't read"

"People don't want to watch video on an iPod"

"People don't want flash MP3 players_

All stated by Jobs before eventually:

announcing iBooks
announcing the iPod Video
announcing the shuffle

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
False. Unlike Samsung...Apple ships on a sales order. They do not list internal movement of stock from location to location. iPads are currently being shipped to consumer from the factory for US customers. Apple does not list inventory to their stores either.

If Apple were to shut down iPad production, even for a very short time, everyone would be out of iPads. They literally sell all the iPads they can make, and that's because Tim Cook is good at managing supply/demand needs.

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
I don't think Surface is going to take down the iPad.

A) The RT version is not full Windows 8
B) The Pro version is not going to be cheap
C) People may not like Windows 8.
D) People increasingly don't like Windows in general.

I don't think the Surface is the home run people think it's going to be

Has anyone else played with the pro version? The specs are nice (high core count), but the experience is pretty unimpressive .. the stylus, handwriting recognition is about the same as the old tablet pc .. but the tiles and such? ugh - looks like zune all over again .. even the early apple betas don't compare to some of the glitchiness in the interface

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Has anyone else played with the pro version? The specs are nice (high core count), but the experience is pretty unimpressive .. the stylus, handwriting recognition is about the same as the old tablet pc .. but the tiles and such? ugh - looks like zune all over again .. even the early apple betas don't compare to some of the glitchiness in the interface

I haven't tried any Surface stuff, but I have tried Windows 8 enough to know that it's going to majorly piss people off. I'm predicting anger of Vista proportions.

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
"This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size. Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

- Jobs

"People don't read"

announcing iBooks
announcing the shuffle

yeah .. there's a reason why humanity went to using a reed, stick, or stylus to express handwritten communication .. at some point, finger painting alone really doesn't continue to cut it

Last edited:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I don't think Surface is going to take down the iPad.

A) The RT version is not full Windows 8
B) The Pro version is not going to be cheap
C) People may not like Windows 8.
D) People increasingly don't like Windows in general.

I don't think the Surface is the home run people think it's going to be

The Nexus 7 was delayed indefinitely yesterday...not going to be much of a problem for the iPad.

For one, the distribution network for the Nexus 7 is borderline non-existent, which alone ensures it wont have a prayer of putting a dent in Apple's share.

Agreed (in general)... It's too easy to say what will be a hit (or not a hit) just by looking at the initial product... There's has to be consideration for how well the company can execute and deliver results (distribution, sales, supplies etc).

Microsoft has a rather poor execution track record for hardware, usually taking several tries before getting things going (or cancelling).
Google doesn't really have much of track record (but Asus does have experience).

So as far as I'm concerned it's still much like CES 2010, lots of promising products, but nothing has been widespread released on a massive scale... It's still too early.

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
I haven't tried any Surface stuff, but I have tried Windows 8 enough to know that it's going to majorly piss people off. I'm predicting anger of Vista proportions.

it's not quite that bad - they're not taking on 64bit for the first time .. and the unification of desktop and tablet experience focusing on touch is a noble effort - it's just that the implementation on the UI is bad and at times downright ugly

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011

On a tablet/touch Windows 8 is fine.

----------

i don't think anybody wants a monopoly .. we just want quality products on par with apple's - that hasn't happened yet

No they don't, they are cheering on a monopoly position aided by the judicial system banning Samsung tablets.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
On a tablet/touch Windows 8 is fine.

Yeah, I'm sure the RT version is fine. But the marketing has been/will be confusing for people. The whole allure of this new Surface Tablet is that it's Windows, yet the more affordable RT version is not full Windows. It will rely on Metro apps. I don't think people fully understand that yet.

The Pro version will be full Windows, but according to MS will be priced about the same as an Ultrabook. So for one you have a functionality problem, and for the other you have a price problem. And for both you have an image problem.

I predict a lot of RT purchases followed by a lot of returns.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
duh.. but not for ling cause samsung will make 500 more different tablets to compete wit ipad my next year..lool just like they do with their lame phones so they can say they sell more..

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
It's just so weird to me.

The iPad is essentially a larger iPhone (minus the phone capability). Same software, features, buttons etc.

If Android phones do so well, why can't their tablets have the same success?

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010

The iPad is essentially a larger iPhone (minus the phone capability). Same software, features, buttons etc.

Well, that leads to the question, "Why do people buy Android phones?"

A lot of times it's because they're cheap/free. When they are able to get a tablet and not have to deal with contracts and cell carriers, they choose what they truly think is better.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If Apple really releases the smaller iPad at $249 imagine the numbers by January.

The only thing that could slow down the iPad at Christmas is whether or not Apple can keep up with demand.

Somehow I don't expect them to go that low if such a thing materializes this year.

Remember kids: This is "SHIPMENTS". Not "SALES". Boxes sitting in a stockroom count.

People always mention this. Do you think retailers would keep accepting a product that just sits? If you go into a store, you can find ipads on the shelf too. This isn't like HP and their fire sale where retailers were genuinely angry.

"People don't read"

announcing iBooks
announcing the shuffle

He was a really good salesman, and some people still don't understand that :p. He downplayed anything that either wasn't ready at the time or didn't make sense for Apple to produce at that time.

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
i don't think anybody wants a monopoly .. we just want quality products on par with apple's - that hasn't happened yet

No they don't, they are cheering on a monopoly position aided by the judicial system banning Samsung tablets.

ugh .. that's a slightly different issue - apple created a design standard and patented it - samsung essentially copied from the design patent without licensing it since they were in early talks with apple

whether on not basics in equipment and software design should be patent-able when they become a standard is the larger issue

----------

it's the little things that apple did along the way to help developers and web developers cater content to the ipad and iphone .. android tablets (i have a few) and developers haven't optimized content for the tablet market, and google's not necessarily focused on helping

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
iPad still storming ahead!

I expect them to lose some of that puff with N7, but it is a different form, the screen is half the size! That on its own regardless of spec alters its use case alot. When I use a 7" tab, is more like a giant phone then a full fledged tablet.

BassPlayer

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
Despite what Jobs said, I'm sure they'll eventually come out with an iPad mini. People have been buying the smaller tablets, so why not jump in the pool and see how the water is? They obviously have the winning formula for the UI, and they have the brand recognition, so it's sure to be a win for both Apple and those who want a 7"er and/or can't afford the $500.

"Hey!!! Hey!!! Give 'em what they want." ~ Natalie Merchant :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.