iPad Owner does not = Poser

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeeEss, Feb 12, 2011.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I think it's really strange how many people post on an iPad forum about how they don't like people who use iPad's in public. I seem to read it alot. Like they think that people are trying to pose with them or something. Like every person who owns one now must certainly be, could only be a fanboi and someone to attack. I remember people used to make comments about mobile phones, then laptops in the same way. I'm guessing it's just because they are jealous, but why on earth can't people just leave people be? It's a sad world that you have to be careful where you use one in case someone might jump you for it, but that's just a sad reality of the world. I think it's just as sad that someone is judged a poser for using one in public though, when it's just another business tool. It says alot more about the person doing the judging...just so you know...

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Just a few things:

First, where do you read all these posts about people being posers by using their iPads in public? I haven't seen that many here on Macrumors.

But to answer your question, there are definitely some people who use their tech to "pose". The old joke about Mac users in coffee shops "writing books" when they just spend the time sipping coffee and browsing the web is definitely based in truth. BUT, on the other hand there are loads of people who do actual work on laptops in coffee shops.

I see the iPad as slightly different, in that it is largely a media consumption device and every single person I've ever seen using one in public is using it in this manner. They tend to mostly be business people reading the newspaper or younger adults playing games while listening to music. I have no problem with this because that is what the iPad was designed for.

But I think what some people have a problem with, is the prominent display of such behaviour because the iPad is a large device, when in reality it costs roughly as much as an iPhone, but people don't even bat an eyelid when someone uses their iPhone to do similar things. Therefore, it looks like an extravagant display of wealth, when in reality most people have a similarly capable and expensive device in their pocket.

So yer, I'm basically agreeing with you, but just keep in mind, there's always going to be a few people out there who just want to look "cool" by using the latest Apple device, but in my experience (in London) I haven't seen too many of them yet thankfully.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

by now everyone and his grandma have an iPad or am MBA. There is no way to pose with them anymore. They are simply not special anymore.

Maybe the next iDevice can be used to pose for up to two 2 weeks after release...

And there is nothing wrong withsitting in a coffee shop and browse the web with whatever device you have. It does not make you a pretend bookwriter either....

4. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I myself have never seen a post like that. An iPad is meant to be used in public. It's meant to be used wherever the owner feels like using it. I watch all these reality shows, and celebs are carrying them everywhere. Because they are rich and we KNOW they can afford one, are they the only ones who are allowed to use them in plain view? Are we as regular people not allowed to be seen with one? Maybe we are supposed to create a secret lare underneath our house and surf the web there.

5. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

It would never have crossed my mind what other people think of me when I use my iPad in public nor would I ever care. I do get occasional comments but they typically are questions about my iPad from people thinking about getting one. This term "poser" is a new one to me - I guess I really am getting old (60).

6. iRance macrumors regular

I've seen those kinds of posts when the iPad first came out, but since the iPad sold millions, it's just a normal thing seeing an iPad in public.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'd suspect it's more about how you use it.

Like gold neck chains. Do you have a gold neck chain as you like it, and wear it inside your shirt against you skin, or do you have it hanging out on top of your clothings, so it shouts "HEY LOOK AT MY GOLD"

8. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

Probably too worried about having the thing nicked;)

( I can say that, as an ex-Londoner )

But seriously, I worked in telecoms from the early days and was lucky to have
    one of the first hand portable phones as they were called. I do sort of feel the same getting the iPad out as pulling the old Motorola 8000 of of my jacket.
    It'll pass.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Poser has passed you by...

If anything, you're now unoriginal.

10. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I think people who used Bluetooth headsets got a lot of criticism on the boards when they were becoming mainstream, much like iPad users are today.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I still think "dick" when I see someone doing normal things, shopping, sitting at a table, or even talking to me with a lump of electronics plugged into their ear, like some space ranger.

If I was this woman, I would not be happy: http://mobilenews.omio.com/wp-content/bluetooth-headset.jpg
    What a rude cock that guy looks.

12. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

LOL! There is something that annoys me about people walking around with a blinking blue light on their ear. :D

13. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I have to agree with some of the comments above. When I got my iPad on release date, I got a lot of comments when I pulled it out in Starbucks or got a lot of looks when using it elsewhere. Now, especially after Christmas, everyone has one and it feels no different to using a MacBook or some other tech.

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Oh god don't even get me started. Everytime I walk into a coffee shop or restaraunt and people have laptops or iPads or whatevers I just get annoyed. I don't know what it is, but I just associate those people with hipsters and being the downfall of society.

That was not even sarcasm by the way, those people are worse than serial killers in my book. Ok maybe not that bad, but there's just something about them that makes me think "Oh no, it's one of THOSE guys."

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

seems you have no job. or a job that allows you to spend time in a coffeeshop doing nothing.;)

i get 200 emails a day. admittetly most of them are inane crap but I still have to stay on top of them and read them. sadly I use time in coffeeshops, airports to catch up. If I don't it usually leads to a uncomfotable talk with my boss down the road.......

16. gameface macrumors 6502

OP, when you grow up a bit more you'll stop caring what random strangers think of what you do. And you'll really stop caring out some stranger on the internet thinks of you.

17. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Your situation changes nothing, I will still judge everyone that is using a laptop/tablet/something computery that is larger than a cell phone. I can't help myself :(

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I won't even tell you what I think of anyone in a stretched limo :D

Let's just say, I'm not thinking, oh wow, how classy, that's so impressive ;)

19. mosimann macrumors newbie

Was on a domestic flight and after a few minutes playing Reckless Racing, the very hot girl (no joke) sitting beside me started to talk about how nice the Ipad was.

We talked to the rest of the flight about other things and if we were staying in the same city, I´d had asked for her phone number.

I LOVE my Ipad. :D

20. miamijim macrumors 6502

I like to sit in coffee shops and do my work.

I live alone and only see my son a few times a week, so if I sit at home I tend to feel a bit lonely sometimes. Taking my Mac or iPad to the coffee shop means I get to work on my language course that I am creating and teaching or browse the web with fresh coffee and cakes at my disposal.

I don't think I am "one of those guys", however I probably am "one of them guys".

21. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Fact is, the iPad is not a business tool, it is a consumer entertainment device. Hence why people who do try to use it for business look like posers.

22. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Anyone in a coffee shop is hipster scum. Yes, that includes you. :D

23. miamijim macrumors 6502

Well that must make most of the population of Finland Hipster scum, as they all seem to live in coffee shops. It is like a national past time here.

24. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

Does having my in-ear earphones sometimes hung around my ear/neck/whatever is handy when I'm not listening to it make me a "dick"? Uh.

And I see iPads everywhere now. Creepy.
    Especially when a kid showed me a screenshot of Windows 7 and pretended he ran it on the iPad. I slapped him hard. Wee.

25. miamijim macrumors 6502

Headphones worn around the neck always = Dick.

Just see the new Yellow pages (Sorry Yell app) advert for confirmation of this.