Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
If a rival company or someone promoting a rival company tried to do that to our business I'd have done exactly the same. What world must you live in to think that companies are supposed to put up with you devaluing them on their own doorstep.

Some of you guys live in a bubble.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well, the MS guy had no right to do that actually (at least here in Fin). If he was inside the store it would've been different but as he wasn't, only security have rights to boot him but he wasn't causing any troubles there, so :confused:

I get the point though, MS is just trying to fight back with every weapon, even with dirty ones like this

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I sure as hell didn't, and still don't use any MS product regularly as an adult. I haven't touched Office since March 2006. Apart from being forced to use whatever ****** version of MS at work and associated Office bloatware in the past, I've even cut all that garbage out of my daily workflow, and that was years ago. I realize I don't speak for everyone around here, unfortunately.

I did not say "adults use it" I said (let me quote myself) "People grew up on one MS product or another". Learn to read before you pop off.

You don't speak for everyone around here because I'm not speaking of what people use as adults. My work runs on XP and the MS Office Suite. It's productive and it's how they work. I can't see using the ****ing iWork suite in my day to day. Personally Office is much better than Pages. Either way my point, which you really missed, was that all of this hate for MS is seriously ignorant.

Hellhammer I don't know fin laws, but if the person was disruptive outside the store then the security company hired by the mall has every right to boot them. If MS made the call then MS made the call. The guy was a douche anyway.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
If a rival company or someone promoting a rival company tried to do that to our business I'd have done exactly the same. What world must you live in to think that companies are supposed to put up with you devaluing them on their own doorstep.

Some of you guys live in a bubble.

Their "doorstep" is the middle of the hallway in a mall? LOL

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Well, the MS guy had no right to do that actually (at least here in Fin). If he was inside the store it would've been different but as he wasn't, only security have rights to boot him but he wasn't causing any troubles there, so :confused:

I get the point though, MS is just trying to fight back with every weapon, even with dirty ones like this

It's America,property rights sure ,human rights not so much.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The guy clearly had intentions of making a scene in front of a rival company. How difficult was that to understand?

That's what I and others stated but was poo-pooed by the fanboys. Would an apple store employee act any different of the foot was on the other shoe? I don't think so.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's what I and others stated but was poo-pooed by the fanboys. Would an apple store employee act any different of the foot was on the other shoe? I don't think so.

No, I doubt they would have done it differently. The difference is that it would be posted on this site and the replies would be in the hundreds before the day is over cheering the Apple employee on.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not so sure an apple employee would handle it any differently. Heck there seems to be a high volume of apple store employees that tend to be arrogant snobish types - at least where I live.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The guy clearly had intentions of making a scene in front of a rival company. How difficult was that to understand?
You keep carrying-on about the iPad guy's intent. Is it you contention that he committed a pre-crime? or caused a pre-disturbance? or just pre-annoyed the Microsoft employee? Whatever your contention, the iPad guy did nothing wrong--not legally, not morally, or otherwise. My suggestion to Windows fanboys and fangirls: Develop thicker skin. It's not going to get better.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Windows fanboys and fangirls:

I don't think they even exist. What would they be a fan of? Office? Exchange? The Zune?? The Pure and Turtle? Windows Live Wave Messenger something-or-other? LOL

Ok, ok. Xbox.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Yes, I watched the video, though without sound.... (at 5:30AM)

It was edited in such a way that the stop at MS appeared coincidental.
The length of time actually spent near MS isn't clear, it appears pretty short.

If MS had pointedly ignored the goings-on outside, the video would have been an obscure childish prank.
Instead, they took the bait (intended or not, doesn't matter.)

Reacting to it in a personal manner was a big mistake.
You just can't win by sending someone "out" to break it up.
Was MS within their right as Mall Tenants? Maybe, maybe not.
Better to call Mall Security, who will not be perceived as coming out of MS..
But what could they report to Security?
Some people making a home video?
Someone showing off their recent purchase to a curious passerby?
About the only thing they could object to is someone filming their store from the outside.

Sending out a Redshirt to chase orderly people away from your store is a very stupid thing to do, especially if there's a camera involved.
It gives the Ogre-like appearance of Moscow police ripping film out of tourists cameras.

Think that passer-by (if he wasn't a plant) will ever go near MS again? Or any of his friends?

They're still gonna make an inferior, copycat MS Pad at some point. Flash, Viruses, USB, Camera and a very short battery life or really heavy.
Like an out of focus copying machine, that's what MS does.

Have Fun,
Play nice and no gratuitously annoying the poor MS Redshirts, OK?
Keri

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
I don't think they ***(Microsoft Fanboys/girls)*** even exist. What would they be a fan of? Office? Exchange? The Zune?? The Pure and Turtle? Windows Live Wave Messenger something-or-other? LOL

Ok, ok. Xbox.

Don't forget their line of fine computer accessories like Mice, Keyboards and Webcams. I see their bumperstickers ALL THE TIME along with the "I'm a PC" ones.
Oh, and MS-NBC is up to 40 or 50 regular viewers by now!

Ahhhh!
Microsoft Stores have REDSHIRTS in them! I wonder if the manager wears Gold?
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/sapringer/STDOTCOMFLASH.html

Have Fun,
Keri

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Yes, I watched the video, though without sound.... (at 5:30AM)

It was edited in such a way that the stop at MS appeared coincidental.

That's why the author of the video clarified this:

YouTube Link said:
Haha we couldnt resist. We took our new iPad to the windows store and within seconds security was all over us.

Think that passer-by (if he wasn't a plant) will ever go near MS again? Or any of his friends?

If he was a plant, I'd agree. However, I'm not sure why an older adult would go along with this dumb idea.

Play nice and no gratuitously annoying the poor MS Redshirts, OK?
Keri

So now you see they meant to do it and it wasn't a coincidence.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think they even exist. What would they be a fan of? Office? Exchange? The Zune?? The Pure and Turtle? Windows Live Wave Messenger something-or-other? LOL

Ok, ok. Xbox.

Yes, why not. just because you cannot look beyond your own apple fanboy prejudices. There are plenty of people who are "fanboys" of windows, zune, xbox, ms mice, etc.

btw, exchange is an excellent product. Unless you have experience managing exchange servers, windows server 2003 and windows servers 2008, active directory. Do not make judgement on those products. I manage and maintain a number of servers in my job and I can see how people would prefer, like them over other solutions.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Haha

What an abhorrent display of fanboyism, both here and there.

So sad and true.

What would drive an individual to do something like that, I can't even imagine the train of thought....

"Sweet, I camped out and bought this new rad thing from this company I am obsessed with! I'm going to have my friend video tape me while I walk around a mall with it so people will look at it and talk to me about my sweet new thing.

I'm so proud of my amazing new thing [that I had absolutely no hand in creating, other than forking over my hard earned dollars so I could be one of 500,000+ people with the same exact thing] I am going to rub it in Microsoft's [A company that actually creates new things] dirty no good rotten faces! Go me, and go Apple! iMe!!!"

And then he hangs out in front of the Microsoft store, no doubt WANTING something to happen.

I don't get it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
looks like he was just trying to be disruptive. I have to side with the store employees getting him kicked out.

What happens if someone showing of a HP tablet heads to an apple store pulls a stunt, they'd be kicked out as well.

No, they'd invite you in so that everyone can compare it to the iPad side by side. That can only help sell more iPads :D

So showing an iPad devalues all Microsoft products. I couldn't have put it better. (Here in Britain Microsoft has these new advertisements saying "New Internet Explorer will tell you before it gets infected." Well that's progress. )

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
Completely stagged. I didn't figure apple for doing viral marketing like this. (interesting approach though.)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Completely stagged. I didn't figure apple for doing viral marketing like this. (interesting approach though.)

100% stagged.

Now with rutting!

;)

stag62.jpg

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It’s hard to tell from the edited video exactly what happened.

If the iPad owner was starting a ruckus it would be one thing. However, for a Microsoft Store employee to actually leave their store and call security on a guy using a non-Microsoft product in the common area of the mall is ridiculous.

What’s next? GAP employees calling security on people that are showing their new J Crew outfit to their friends near the GAP store?

Give me a break.

Maybe the iPad owner was taunting/harassing customers as they entered the Microsoft Store? Or maybe the Microsoft Store employee overreacted? Again, we don’t really know the full account of what happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.