iPad Owners get screwed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wicked1, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok so Apple made iOS6 work for the 3GS but not the 2 year old iPad? C'Mon thanks for screwing us over Apple, I love my iPad but can't get the latest iOS, this is just wrong

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought that was weird too but I figure I'm not missing a whole lot considering what I use my iPad 1 for. That's Apple though.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Jailbreak it. It can bring new life to your old friend.

4. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

All you are missing is SIRI and faster safari.:D

5. WRP macrumors 6502a

I'm not thoroughly disappointed. I was however looking forward to trying it out on the pad first before I update my phone. oh well.

6. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

You mean, make it more like android?:cool:

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No, I mean correct mistakes Apple made like multi-tasking on a machine not really capable of such.

8. RenoG macrumors 65816

Don't worry OP doesn't sound like you missing out on much at all.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

lawl the iPad 1 is still going to be slower.

10. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Judging by the feedback on ios6, you're not missing much..

11. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

apple stopped caring about the original iPad a while ago. the features in iOS 6 are targeted mainly at the iPhone anyways, so you're not missing that much in the upgrade.

12. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

You should change the title to 'iPad 1 owners get screwed"

13. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

If you didn't feel 'screwed over' when you first bought your iPad, then you haven't been 'screwed over'.
    If you love your iPad, you haven't been 'screwed over'.
    If iOS6 requires hardware technology released AFTER the purchase of your iPad, then you haven't been 'screwed over'.

I've got the original iPad 1, and I'm as happy with it now as when I bought it. I knew its features, and I knew its limitations. Just because technology has moved on doesn't mean my iPad is anything less than it was when I bought it.

This crazy annual updating of products relies on people feeling left behind and spending ridiculous amounts of money each year to replace perfectly functioning expensive gadgets in an attempt to catch up.

Wait until all the flaws have been ironed out of iOS6 before you make a judgement call. I've got an iPhone 4S and I'm going nowhere near iOS6 until the early adopters have reported all the bugs and Apple have addressed them. What exactly do you feel you're missing out on? There's certainly no particular feature of iOS6 that I'm so desperate for that I can't wait a while.

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This.

Try reading the fine print as well:
    http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have the iPad 3 and based upon the laggy response of Apple maps I'm pretty sure that this model will be EOL after the next update as well. Speaking of maps, they are a bit lackluster and Siri is really a useless gimmick at this point still. You are not missing a lot.

It's my opinion that all iOS devices are built with about a 2 year lifecycle in mind--during which you can expect to receive major OS updates and all apps to run and be functional. After that, no OS updates and one by one some apps will cease to work.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The 3GS was still on sale today. The iPad hasn't been on sale for 2 years. There is the difference.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The first gen iPads are on sale from Apple as of this writing as refurbs. You can get even get Applecare on them.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not to mention that you get next to no enhanced functionality on the 3GS.

----------

I have an iPhone 4 (until my 5 arrives). I have very close to no new anything with my iOS6 update. If they allowed the original iPad to load it then that's what you'd end up with, the right to bitch about how you have iOS6 but no new features to speak of.

19. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

2 yrs is a lot when it comes to tech. First gen apple products almost always get leftout

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As a refurb! Not as a new device!

21. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

I have a compaq 386 computer, and Microsoft is screwing me because it won't run Win7....

22. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's the RAM that kills it. The iPad 1 struggles even on just normal iOS.

With a jailbreak you can help it a lot, delete some of the useless launch daemons that eat up RAM at every moment of every day. Unfortuntely, this doesn't fix the fact that iOS 6 isn't an option.

23. Autrement, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Autrement macrumors regular

Oh, sure, not right now. But how long before more and more apps that you've bought with your own money start to tell you upon your next update - "I'm sorry, this app is only compatible with iOS 6 and higher." Suddenly all the new functions of various apps are unavailable, and you won't even be able to buy the newest apps.

It happened to me with my Beautiful PowerPC PowerMac G4. Its processor and RAM are STILL capable of handling most stuff that I would want to do with it, but because of the switch to Intel, NOPE. Sorry. I can't even update Flash on it at this point.

As far as the iPad 1, I don't buy that it's a "hardware technology" technology limitation either - something closer to planned obsolescence. IT'S TWO YEARS OLD for goodness sake.

24. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Actually, folks who bought newer, more powerful IOS devices would be screwed if Apple decided to program for a less powerful machine. You have it entirely backwards. Progress is a good thing. The newer iPads are much more powerful than the 1st generation and it's appropriate that Apple build the newest OS with the the power of newer machines in mind. You've been screwed out of nothing. Your iPad 1 works exactly like it did last month.

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

18 months. It was discontinued on March 2, 2011.