iPad iPad Owners: What're your thoughts on the Surface and Nexus 10?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Boob, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Boob, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

Boob macrumors member

I see these two tablets getting a lot of raves now. The Nexus seems impressive but Android still isn't quite there yet with optimized tablet apps. The Surface looks like a great competitor to the iPad. Who knows about all the other various Windows 8 tablets...

I just got an iPad last month and have no plans on switching but the Surface has caught my eye.

2. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Its all about apps honestly. I bet most of android apps are phone apps still. Imagine phone apps put in higher resolution tablet..

3. Noisemaker Guest

Apps and the Apple ecosystem are impossible to beat by Android. Plain and simple.

There's not the dev support on Android, and there's not the universal compatibility on Android between devices.

4. shady28 macrumors member

Nexus 10 is impressive, very impressive. It's basically the best that Google / Samsung could have possibly built out right now. With Jelly Bean, dual core A15 based Exynos, Mali 604 GPU, 2GB of RAM, and a better than retina display, it will probably whip the iPad 4 in the bench races and match it in subjective usage and visual tests.

More important though Is one almost to die for feature, a simple one.

Multiple users.

This is a major limitation of email and most social network apps on iOS and previous Android tablets. Share your tab with the family, and you share your email, Facebook, Twitter etc accounts.

Not so on the Nexus 10. This alone makes it very tempting.

5. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I use my tablet for web surfing, email and video watching mostly. So an android would work for me so long as I keep all my videos in mp4 format as they don't playback m4v.

The nexus 10 looks very interesting to me. I am about to sell my iPad 3 LTE in preparation to get a new toy, be it an iPad Mini, Nexus 7/10 or iPad 4. I like the surface but I have 0 windows products anymore, so not sure if it right for me also not a fan of the price point for the unproven product.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Surface Pro is going to be a bear to fight with.

7. antwormcity macrumors newbie

Google/Samsung beats Apple at Specs, but they are so far away from Apple in design.

Good luck to them. Looks like a product spun out in a rush without deep thought to design.

- Docking port at the longer edge of tablet
    - Camera in such a position, it only makes sense to hold it in landscape mode.
    - That hideous bezel

And we still live in the world of stretched out smart phone apps for tablets with the Android platform.

"I mean, seriously you guys?" - Eric Cartman

HP TouchPad was a MUCH better looking tablet.

Multi-user, meh! Apple does not do this so they can sell a device to each of their customers. lol. That would make perfect sense in a smart phone too :D

I have used a iPad2 extensively which I bought for my dad, and I was nearly set on getting an iPad3 before the refresh came out. Come Friday, I am lining up at the local Apple Store. No Surface, no android tablet is looking that great IMHO. YMMV ofc

I am a sucker for good design, attention to detail and everything thought out well, which is why I would keep buying Apple products until anyone else catches up or comes even close. :)

Technology is going to keep changing, its all about how much you really need from that spec sheet and comparison table. I wonder how many of those Several Million iPads Apple sold went to geeks and nerds who could understand the difference and appreciate it and care for it. Oh, and I am an Engineer who went to grad school...haha, (un)surprisingly I am making that statement!

Apple has my $100 extra just for the design and iOS apps ecosystem. And if they want to pocket 150% of that price difference, I would gladly give it.

8. Boob thread starter macrumors member

The fragmented/non optimized phone apps are a big thing that holds Android back in the app market for sure. That's just one of the reasons I prefer the iPad to it but it'll still be a great tab.

The Surface looks like the biggest threat to the iPad. Great OS, UI, design, hardware, etc.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Android has a much better Maps app. Just sayin...

10. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

The Surface currently has far fewer apps than Android.

11. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Seriously, they need to hire some German designers of the Dieter Rams school.

Focus on minimalism and manufacturing quality.

They're multi-billion dollar companies that can do much better.

12. lilo777 macrumors 603

What's wrong with having docking port on the long side? If it's different from iPad it does not mean it's wrong. Sometimes it's quite the opposite. With docking port on the long side, one can dock the tablet and watch a movie. Makes perfect sense.

Same is true about the camera. When you are making a movie (not that it makes much sense with tablets) you want to see it on the screen in its natural orientation - which is landscape.

That hideous bezel is what makes mobile tablets usable. Nothing wrong with it. The tablet is still lighter than iPad 4 and with wider bezel it should be very comfortable to handle. Apple designs are rarely very good. They a flashy at the expense of functions.

13. blackbelter macrumors member

Only if they priced it right... It has been said Surface Pro starts at US$799. But I assume that price is without the touch/type covers. It is still very expensive... With iPad, we who don't have a billion to spend can at least opt for the 16GB Wifi model.

14. thelead macrumors 6502

The Surface Pro 2 (if it ever gets made) will be a killer tablet once the app collection grows and more power efficient x86/64 processors are available. But yeah, I'm itching to try a surface pro.

----------

That's not the clientele though. The clientele are those who don't want two devices to carry around (MacBook air and iPad) and rather have one that does it all (provided that there are capable/comparable apps for metro).

15. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

the Surface RT and Pro, including the Nexus 10 do not have integrated mobile options, so they failed for professionals (business/enterprise)

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There's no comparison. The Surface Pro is a full computer running a desktop OS. It would be like an iPad running OS X and with USB ports. The Surface Pro is a real threat. That probably why the iOS and OS X teams are now under one boss.

----------

Huh? You mean built in 4G?

17. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I'm not interested in android tablets-_-

But the surface has my attention.
    I'm excited to see how the market responds.

I love the iPad, but I'm rooting for a real competitor.

18. cfs112 macrumors member

the surface does look great, my fav feature is the multiple features. i really hope apple adopts that!

but i think it'll come down to usability, lots of early reviewers have said the Surface with windows RT is confusing to use. i'll try it out at the Microsoft store first before making a snap judgement.

19. Boob thread starter macrumors member

I for one would never spend $800 on a tab so I wouldn't even consider the Surface Pro. Even $500 is steep for me. I went for the iPad 2 and got it for $320 at apple.com and I love it.

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

As far as I know

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Surface Pro is a full blown laptop in a tablet form factor. The iPad is not in the same league. Sorry boys and girls, but our beloved iPad is about to get spanked. A MacBook Air would be the closest competition.

22. supervelous macrumors 6502

Watching Video and surfing the web, playing games etc. aren't good enough for me, especially since I can do all those on my iphone. Yes, the bigger size is nice to have, but I am not willing to spend $500-$800 dollars for it. When I'm home I use my TV or laptop to consume content when I want a bigger screen. And on the go, in my experiences, the iphone is ideal. In fact, I have an Ipad 3 in my house that is technically my girlfriend's but I have access to it and rarely feel the urge to use it.

The Surface Pro REALLY appeals to me as a potential to replace my 5 year old laptop that came with Vista that no longer holds a battery charge, AND give me the tablet I never felt justified spending that kind of money on for mostly content consumption.

Two things I use on my laptop I cannot currently do on an iPad:

1. MS Office
    2. Serious Video Editing (I make Youtube vids and use an HD-PVR hooked to my laptop via USB and the Sony Movie Studio software

If the Surface pro allows me to do the 2 productivity/work things I currently do with my laptop, and functions as a tablet, it has my money as long as it doesn't go above $1,000.

And I LOVED the Type Cover, after trying it out in a MS Store the other day. The Touch Cover was not my cup of tea, but maybe it just takes some getting used to.

If I was looking for a pure tablet experience I'd choose iPad - I think Android has a ways to go in the tablet space. But I want so much more.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That would indeed be a major drawback.

24. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Surface Pro is going to make a huge impact, give me the full functions of both a tablet & a notebook but in a much lighter package? Please, take my money :)

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I will be buying one of each.

What others say is of little importance to me.

I'd much rather have a first hand experience, it's well worth the money.

If they're great that will be quite satisfying.

If their not, it won't be the first device I've bought that didn't work out.