Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allen-uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
London
Trying to pair iPads to a Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker. Speaker works fine on Bluetooth (got it paired to a nearby amp).

But when I try and get either a 2019 or a 2018 iPad to pair, neither machine recognises the Bluetooth device.

Anything obvious that I'm (probably) doing wrong? Or, any hints and tips to get the machines talking to each other?

Thanks.

Allen.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Most Bluetooth devices need to be in discoverable mode for another device to find them. Can the speaker connect to multiple devices at the same time?

allen-uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
London
Thanks Eric. According to Sony's guide, up to nine at a time can be connected (I only want 3!). Must say I've never tried more than the one, though.

But I haven't tried putting the Sony into discoverable mode (i.e. 'Bluetooth' flashing quickly) - I'll try that later, thanks.

Allen.

allen-uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
London
Hello Eric.

Well, you were right (obviously) but the iPad still objects...

I did as you suggested, and put the device into discoverable mode, and the iPad DID see it and connect. Temporarily. And only if I took the transmitter device out of the amp (I had it hanging out of the headphone output socket) and hid it in the next room. As soon as I put it back in place, the iPad would no longer connect.

Anyway, rather than bore you with the multiple attempts to do it (I do get frustrated when something works, then doesn't work, for no obvious reason!), I switched to Sony's 'Music Center' app from the app.store. It links the iPad to your (my) wifi network, accesses the Sony speaker and my iTunes library, and all I now have to do is switch from 'Network' on the speaker, to 'Bluetooth', in order to toggle between iPad and amp.

So, problem solved, or rather an easy workround.

Thanks for the pointers.

Allen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.