iPad Poised to Grab Significant Portion of e-Reader Market

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky released the results of a survey showing pent-up demand for the iPad exceeding that of the original iPhone, highest customer demand for low-capacity Wi-Fi-only and high-capacity 3G-enabled iPads, and moderate cannibalization of other Apple products by the iPad.

ChangeWave today released additional data from the survey, showing Apple poised to take the top spot among e-reader purchasers over the next 90 days, with 40% of purchasers in the survey planning to opt for an iPad. Amazon's Kindle holds the second spot in the survey at 28%, with Barnes and Noble's Nook placing third at only 6%.
In short, while the iPad launch is likely to strengthen overall e-Reader demand, the survey suggests Amazon and its competitors could well find themselves relegated to playing catch-up within just a few quarters if they don't preemptively move quickly to upgrade their own e-Readers.
Also of interest is ChangeWave's data from customers who already own an e-reader, 27% of whom would have purchased an iPad had it been available when they made their purchase. 45% of purchasers would still have purchased their current e-reader, while 30% registered as undecided.

Finally, in looking at timing for iPad purchasing, the survey found that many potential iPad customers are looking beyond the usual 90-day window typically used by ChangeWave for its data, with purchasing windows actually peaking in the 4-6 month post-launch timeframe and considerable numbers of customers planning to hold off even longer.

It is important to note that ChangeWave's research focuses mainly on business, technical and medical professional, as well as early-adopter consumers, so its results are not necessarily indicative of broader consumer buying patterns. Its data does, however, offer a glimpse into the thinking of those who are frequently considered to be at the forefront of such trends.

Article Link: iPad Poised to Grab Significant Portion of e-Reader Market

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I wonder if people will not like the LCD to read on. It kills my eyes, I'd rather have something like the Pixel Qi screen.

For now: e-ink FTW

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
I have a Kindle and love it, but I will definitely be using the iPad as an e-reader (in addition to everything else it does)

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
But, but, but....IT HAS NO FLASH!

OK, seriously, this is not too surprising. As soon as the $499 price point was unveiled, the iPad became a serious contender in the e-Reader market. It's not much less for the Kindle, and the Kindle is so limited in what it can do compared to the full-color iPad. For the money, the iPad is compelling.

Now if you depend on eInk screens, the Kindle is still for you. Some folks swear they cannot possibly read on a backlit screen (while typing such complaints on a backlit screen). Yes, it's true that the Kindle screen is easy on the eyes for long periods of use. It's also true that you can adjust an iPhone or iPad screen to whatever brightness level suits you.

Having read several lengthy novels on my iPod touch (thank you, Stanza), I can tell you that it is very possible to enjoyably read a book on this type of screen. Bigger is better, of course, so the iPad is where I'll be reading my books from now on.

As seen in those surveys, lots of other folks are ready to try an iPad too.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I've had the Kindle, Kindle 2 and Nook. I'm actually holding off on buying any more e-books until I get the iPad. I want to compare the reading experience before I spend any more.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I wonder if people will not like the LCD to read on. It kills my eyes, I'd rather have something like the Pixel Qi screen.

I read all day long on lcd screens... I think the idea that you can't read on an lcd screen or it hurts you eyes is unfounded given the amount of time people spend reading every day on lcd monitors.

I like e-ink, but in the end it is not a significant advantage for that one small facet alone, and it is a massive disadvantage to doing absolutely anything else... so at best you can see e-ink devices relegated to a very niche part of the market at the end of the day.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
I've had the Kindle, Kindle 2 and Nook. I'm actually holding off on buying any more e-books until I get the iPad. I want to compare the reading experience before I spend any more.
you can transfer e-books between the devices if you convert them with a program like calibre

maybe you would save more money if you bought 1 reader instead of 4...

Jason Lee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This is all I want an iPad for. I'm an avid reader--probably the only one in the world. I probably purchase fifty books a year--not counting comic books and plays.

The fact that the iPad does other things is an added bonus.

lindafus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
Not just my eyes

I own a Kindle 2 and I use it almost every single day. The iPad may be better at viewing magazines and newspaper possibly in competition with the Kindle DX reader however, I doubt I will be holding an iPad for long term reading it is just too big and heavy.

I will buy an iPad but not for reading books.

I still do not believe these numbers will pan out. Kindle is a book reader and nothing more. E-ink does not cause eye strain. Eye strain on back lit displays is very real. I suffer from that every single day after 9 hours of reading on LCD back lit screen. I could never do 2 or three more hours on a back lit screen. E-ink solves that problem for me.

-Linda :cool:

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
you can transfer e-books between the devices if you convert them with a program like calibre

maybe you would save more money if you bought 1 reader instead of 4...
I like to keep up with the newest gadgets. As long as I can afford it, no big deal.

It's really more about having all the books in one place than saving money. Ultimately, I'd like everything to be available in one reader no matter where I bought it. Do you know if I can convert the Amazon Kindle titles to other readers? It would probably bug me to have to use different reader apps on the iPad, but oh well...

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Good Lord, how did this thread get this long without someone saying something terminally stupid? Thanks guys and gals!

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
That's NOT insignificant. But the Kindle is also limited in ways that the iPad isn't. So....
I don't think they should be compared at all. I've used the analogy that it's akin to not buying a tv because you can watch movies on a laptop. Sure you can watch movies on both, but the experience will suffer on the device that's not tailor made for the purpose. I've an e-reader and can't envisage ever trying to read a novel on an lcd screen. Magazine articles sure as they're usually fairly short but anything else is something I'm not interested in.

Battery life is also the other killer aspect of e-ink especially when your flights delayed and your stuck in an airport for 3 or 4 hours more than you thought.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Writing's on the wall.

Everyone who wants a Kindle get an eBay account *now*, so you can be ready.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The iPad will make a great magazine reader. I'm not sure if I'd want to read a long book on it. Seems too big and heavy. But as none of us has had a hands-on with it I'm willing to hold judgment.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006

Have you made sure the display is set properly? Out of the box, almost all screens are set at max brightness and too blue to make them "pop" on the show floor, where garish lights are usually being used.

Something else I did lately was get an eye check-up, that seems to have helped.

I really like the look of eink, but I hate the "flash" that it does to turn pages.

I do understand the complaints, after a day's worth of using a backlit screen, it's nice to use something not backlit for a while.

dead76

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
So the people in 7-12 month spot, does this mean people waiting for rev 2 or are they just the consumers Apple loves who go out and buy the product the day before the new version comes out?