iPad Position While On Couch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vihzel, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I am thinking about getting an iPad, but am a little worried about trying to use it comfortably on my lap while watching TV. With laptops, the screen's easily propped up for the perfect viewing angle. Is there some way that I can comfortably use the iPad while sitting on a couch without having to use my legs to prop it up?

2. IamHermann0069 macrumors member

IamHermann0069

Not trying to be rude... But is this question really serious? You are asking people in an online forum how you could be comfortable. I really don't think anyone is capable of answering that beside yourself. Maybe if we have your exact height, proportion of your legs to your upper body, length of your couch cushions, distance from couch to nearest coffee table/footrest, and your medical as well as chiropractic history.

Ok maybe that was meant to be rude. But that was a terrible question. lol The iPad is like anything else, you just use the iPad however you want to use it. It depends on where you are and what you are doing. You really do not need a bunch of people on the internet to tell you how to use something.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

their are many (many) ways to use and hold an iPad, but each will vary on the person and environment and I agree with IamHermann0069's statement that no one can tell you how you should hold an iPad to be comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Like this method
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. redman042 macrumors 68020

^^ That's just great!

See, Vihzel, all you need is a properly-placed cat. Works like a charm.

5. Vihzel thread starter macrumors 6502

So there's no way that I can comfortably type with both of my hands on an iPad, like a notebook, without having the iPad propped up on something or having my legs positioned in a certain way, or having to lay down?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I use a small ThermoRest pillow. I hook the bottom of the iPad under the storage cord which runs across the short side. The iPad then rests against the pillow, and I can adjust the angle by how much stuffing I bunch up behind the iPad. The pillow usually sits on or between my legs.

It's stable enough to read for hours, with just a tap for page turns, or to play a game like Angry Birds (it's a stretch, but I can get the iPad to fit in landscape mode). Obviously, it also works well for browsing or mail.

7. gnychis macrumors 6502

hahah the cat method is amazing... looks like I just need a cat

8. Vihzel thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh ok. I guess I can try to make an indent in my pillow so it's comfortable enough to where I can type on the keyboard easily. Thank you for your considerate response.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm not sure what you're envisioning - it either has to ba flat, or propped up somehow (btw- the Apple case might be another option). If you want to type at one angle, and view at another, your only option is an external Bluetooth keyboard.

10. Vihzel thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh sorry, I meant propped up as in like a stand, having to use your legs, and such.

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No problem.

I'll add that when in portrait mode, I type with my thumbs. The small pillow is about the same width at the iPad, so I can just rest my fingers against each side while typing with my thumbs.

Also, I wear bifocals and the placement of the iPad let's me view both it, and my tv, in focus (in other words, the tv's in the same line of sight as the iPad - I can just glance up to watch tv).

12. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

13. Vihzel thread starter macrumors 6502

What would you have recommended that I search in this forum? I tried different combinations but couldn't find what I wanted. Nice to know there are friendly people here.

14. OIDK macrumors newbie

They're probably referring to a thread called "How to watch videos in bed" that was posted earlier, that's all. :p

You should look around a little for a case that would prop your iPad up the way you like it, there's tons available. With the official Apple case you can set it up to go on an angle so you can type and see the screen when its resting on your legs but I'm not sure if that's what you're exactly looking for.