Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShayanAhmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
I never had an apple product before and now I'm thinking about buying an Ipad mainly for drawing and media consumption, I don't really care about all extra features of Ipad Pro 10.5 all I need is best drawing experience I know that Ipad Air 3 (2019) lacks promotion which makes Ipad Pro 10.5 a better choice for drawing but I am scared about the bright spot issue, and in my country apple products are not officially available so I cant get apple care or reclaim any warranty cuz it will cost more than the iPad itself to send it to the company. So I wanted to know;
  • Is there any noticeable difference between pen experience with promotion and without promotion?
  • Have you used Ipad Air 3? and do you recommend it?
  • Is A12 better than A10X fusion?
  • Is 3gb ram enough?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
1. Night and day difference. Would never use an iPad without ProMotion if I could help it.

2. Used it. Don’t recommend it. Lack of ProMotion and Quad speakers are a deal breaker.

3. Not really. For practical purposes even the A12X isn’t better for most people. But on paper it is.

4. Perhaps. But even 4 GB is barely enough.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
If you've never had an Apple product before, then you might be happy with the Air 3 and the Pencil. However, now that I've used the iPP and experienced it, I'm spoiled. The ProMotion is amazing, and to me, the Pro looks years ahead of the regular iPad and Air 3. If you can afford it, then I say go with the Pro.

Reactions: quadchick10

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If you've never had an Apple product before, then you might be happy with the Air 3 and the Pencil. However, now that I've used the iPP and experienced it, I'm spoiled. The ProMotion is amazing, and to me, the Pro looks years ahead of the regular iPad and Air 3. If you can afford it, then I say go with the Pro.

Exactly. If you’ve never used a 120 Hz tablet, you’ll be fine with any iPad.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
I’ve used both. I personally stuck with the air 3. The lack of promotion isn’t a con to me, but that’s likely because I use my iPad for mathematics note taking and media consumption. The 10.5 is a good get, especially if you can get a brand new one for a great price. Promotion may benefit you if you happen to be an artist, but to be fair, I haven’t noticed any latency differences in my...poor attempts at drawing haha.

edit: the bright spot issue seems more rampant on the 10.5 pro, far less on the air. If you want newer hardware with less risk, and likely a device that’ll be supported longer, I’d go with the air, however, you will lose promotion and quad speakers (this one is far less a bummer as others make it out to be, the air speakers are good!)

Reactions: Isamilis

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
1. Night and day difference. Would never use an iPad without ProMotion if I could help it.

2. Used it. Don’t recommend it. Lack of ProMotion and Quad speakers are a deal breaker.

3. Not really. For practical purposes even the A12X isn’t better for most people. But on paper it is.

What about the white spot issue?

Reactions: ShayanAhmed

ShayanAhmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2019

My only concern is the white spot issue, i have been lurking around forums and reddits for past few days and almost 90% of the people reported that they got the issue and moreover i live in Pakistan and apple is not officially available so i cant get applecare and it seems a huge risk
What about the white spot issue?
+1

Denzzil

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
Kharkov, Ukraine
Same here. I'm really scared to buy both iPP 10.5 and Air 3 because of this white spot issue. I can buy a 256gb version, but I'm even thinking to buy Pro 11 64gb, just to avoid this. I don't know what is better: suffer from white spots or from low drive capacity.

I still trying to convince myself that these white spots are visible only on the white background, but anyway: you are buying a pricy device that will inevitably have this issue.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I would go with the Pro for the bit of extra ram and the piece of mind that there is no white spot issue.
To some pro motion is a big deal, I can live without it. Quad speakers are ok but still not good enough for anything but the usual home produced YouTube bla. Don’t expect great audio quality without a headphone, but that goes for most computers not just iPad. But then again people usually don’t swap an iPad against their home cinema system anyway.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
The white spot is a good thing in some respects. At least they replace it for free. If not, the white spot doesn't really bother you. It is overrated.

Reactions: blkjedi954

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The white spot is a good thing in some respects. At least they replace it for free. If not, the white spot doesn't really bother you. It is overrated.

They do that in warranty but afterwards? I don’t think this is a repair program yet, is it?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
They do that in warranty but afterwards? I don’t think this is a repair program yet, is it?

But they replace it if it’s within warranty.
[automerge]1573872821[/automerge]
It’s not a good thing in any respects if it must be replaced.

The battery of a modern iPad lasts 12 months. It is anyway unusable after 12-24 months. Because of the white spot you get an excuse to get a new iPad for free every few months. It’s a blessing in disguise if you stay in USA. I actually wanted to buy the 10.5 over 11 because it’s guaranteed the 10.5 will get the white spot and will be easily replaced during a EU visit.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
[automerge]1573872821[/automerge]

The battery of a modern iPad lasts 12 months. It is anyway unusable after 12-24 months. Because of the white spot you get an excuse to get a new iPad for free every few months. It’s a blessing in disguise if you stay in USA. I actually wanted to buy the 10.5 over 11 because it’s guaranteed the 10.5 will get the white spot and will be easily replaced during a EU visit.
Not sure the battery of modern iPad last in 12 months and unusable after 12-24 months. I have iPad 2 (bought in 2011) with still in good battery (88%).

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Not sure the battery of modern iPad last in 12 months and unusable after 12-24 months. I have iPad 2 (bought in 2011) with still in good battery (88%).

That isn’t a modern iPad. I mean iPads released during or after 2017.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
iPad Pro 10.5 ALL THE WAY. So many positive differences from the Air 3. Walmart has great deals right now. 512 GB Wi-Fi 10.5 Pro for $599 or $429 or something like that for the refurbished one. It’s an insane deal.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

In warranty is what I said. Bad luck afterwards if you have no extended warranty or consumer law. Nobody in their right mind wants to service their belongings every few months knowing they will develop issues. It also doesn’t extend the original warranty as Apple only provides 90 days on service replacements according to the employees I spoke with.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have the iPad Air 3 and feel it necessary to mention that the iPad Air 3 is only compatible with the Apple Pencil 1.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
In warranty is what I said. Bad luck afterwards if you have no extended warranty or consumer law. Nobody in their right mind wants to service their belongings every few months knowing they will develop issues. It also doesn’t extend the original warranty as Apple only provides 90 days on service replacements according to the employees I spoke with.

1. If you’re in USA, warranty is infinite if you buy AC+ monthly.

2. The white spot isn’t an issue at all. It doesn’t make any difference anyway.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
1. If you’re in USA, warranty is infinite if you buy AC+ monthly.

2. The white spot isn’t an issue at all. It doesn’t make any difference anyway.

It surely is an issue for the tons of people posting here being disappointed by it. Disappointed customers are an issue at some stage, for sure.

Btw are you now claiming that I can extend Applecare coverage forever in the USA? What happens when these devices get obsoleted? Is there an Apple resource you can link to where I can read up on this indefinite warranty?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
It surely is an issue for the tons of people posting here being disappointed by it. Disappointed customers are an issue at some stage, for sure.

Btw are you now claiming that I can extend Applecare coverage forever in the USA? What happens when these devices get obsoleted? Is there an Apple resource you can link to where I can read up on this indefinite warranty?

Once the device gets obsolete why would you keep it anyway? Infinite probably means up to 5 years from release date. That's long enough. You would anyway upgrade by then. Who uses an iPhone 6 today? Those who do can't afford USD 120 in yearly AC for a single iPhone anyway.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Once the device gets obsolete why would you keep it anyway? Infinite probably means up to 5 years from release date. That's long enough. You would anyway upgrade by then. Who uses an iPhone 6 today? Those who do can't afford USD 120 in yearly AC for a single iPhone anyway.

I cannot find anything on Apples site for the US that backs up the infinite warranty claim. Where does it say that AC+ runs without limitations forever?
Mobile phones plateau these days. It’s absolutely possible to keep the same device for a long time, if the hardware allows.

Please back up your claim.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I cannot find anything on Apples site for the US that backs up the infinite warranty claim. Where does it say that AC+ runs without limitations forever?
Mobile phones plateau these days. It’s absolutely possible to keep the same device for a long time, if the hardware allows.

Please back up your claim.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.