Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
My brand new iPad Pro shows a wear level of 3% in the Battery Life app. I'm running iOS 10.3.3. My several months old iPhone 7 Plus shows a 0% wear level. Should I be concerned and exchange the iPad, or is this normal? Thanks for any help.

d6661b5aa15648ff67018f9f5383337c.jpg

sacha_g88

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
I had the exact same thing happen. Don't know if that makes it normal, but many board members have pointed out that these battery apps are just an estimate and the wear level of a device will fluctuate throughout the day depending on environment, charge level and what you are doing on the device. My 2 cents is that it's nothing to worry about. I find that if i'm on Safari and listening to a podcast i lose 1 percent battery every 6min with around 30-40% brightness.

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Mine showed 0% the first day, but then showed 2% the next day. It’s at 4% currently with having it about 1 and a half months. It goes up and down as the member above said.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Same experience here. Ipad shows more wear than iPhone 7... should be a problem/issue with the app itself.

Reactions: Pipper99

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
None of the apps that show battery related data work properly post iOS 10 release because Apple has literally stopped the APIs for system data.

Reactions: Pipper99

zetronox

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2017
My 3 week old iPad Pro 10.5 shows 5% battery wear level and an original capacity of 7966 mAh (NOT 8134 mAh) reduced to 7690 mAh in coconut battery. Should I be worried? :/

I contacted Apple through chat and they ran a diagnostic test and told me that my battery is in "good health".

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Not sure if it's related, but a while ago my capacity was down to 10, 11% and only recently returned to 7, 8%, in the IPP 9.7 from 2016 (128 GB wifi only, Space Gray).

So it appears these apps can give inaccurate readings, or perhaps we need to recharge a few more times our devices to calibrate them.

Warning: never let the battery down to 0% (recharge before it drains completely *) and don't subject to heat:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
http://www.tabletpcreview.com/feature/how-to-extend-the-battery-life-of-your-ipad-or-phone/

* https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3616373?tstart=0
* http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/running-battery-to-zero.18813/

Last edited:

chcn

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Canada
As I mentioned (in a more verbose way) in the other thread on this, I actually think the Battery Life app is fairly accurate regarding battery capacity. At least, it agreed with Apple's diagnostic when we recently used it on my wife's iPhone 6, and I think it has agreed with their diagnostics in the past. I'm having a similar issue with my iPad Pro 10.5. I suspect there is something wrong with one or more of the following:
  • the batteries Apple used in that model (even if it's just the way the battery is reporting its capacity)
  • the handling storage of those batteries or the finished iPads they're installed in (i.e., if the battery is fully charged and then sits on a shelf for months, that will harm it, and my unit was made several months before I bought it)
  • Apple's diagnostics for the new model (because the diagnostic they did over the phone said my battery has a capacity of something like 115%, which makes no sense and which they had never seen)
Since I'm still in the return period I'm going into a store tomorrow to exchange for a newer one to see what that does.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and Stq

felixen2121

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
As I mentioned (in a more verbose way) in the other thread on this, I actually think the Battery Life app is fairly accurate regarding battery capacity. At least, it agreed with Apple's diagnostic when we recently used it on my wife's iPhone 6, and I think it has agreed with their diagnostics in the past. I'm having a similar issue with my iPad Pro 10.5. I suspect there is something wrong with one or more of the following:
  • the batteries Apple used in that model (even if it's just the way the battery is reporting its capacity)
  • the handling storage of those batteries or the finished iPads they're installed in (i.e., if the battery is fully charged and then sits on a shelf for months, that will harm it, and my unit was made several months before I bought it)
  • Apple's diagnostics for the new model (because the diagnostic they did over the phone said my battery has a capacity of something like 115%, which makes no sense and which they had never seen)
Since I'm still in the return period I'm going into a store tomorrow to exchange for a newer one to see what that does.

I actually got almost the exact same thing, when the guy at an official apple repair store ran a diagnostic. It said 114% and they said they had never seen anything like that before.

I do believe something is wrong with it. Coconut battery says about 94% of original left and only 25 cycles. In comparison my iPhone 7 Plus is 95% after 245 cycles.

Battery life says 7% or 8% degraded.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I had the same issue as when mine was brand new it already showed 3 percent wear. Kinda wrote that off as the app wasn’t calibrated correctly yet. Now 5 months later my wear is at 13 percent. I have another small issue with it in that the screen crackles when pressing certain points so I figured I’d exchange it at some point anyway, but this pretty much clinches it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The apps can’t provide accurate data. Only coconut battery is what you need.

Stq

macrumors member
May 1, 2016
The apps can’t provide accurate data. Only coconut battery is what you need.

I always find that these apps are still mostly consistent with coconutBattery results. They just round it up to 100mAh, since iOS10. They are less precise but not completely off.

felixen2121

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
I had the same issue as when mine was brand new it already showed 3 percent wear. Kinda wrote that off as the app wasn’t calibrated correctly yet. Now 5 months later my wear is at 13 percent. I have another small issue with it in that the screen crackles when pressing certain points so I figured I’d exchange it at some point anyway, but this pretty much clinches it.

My screen crackles as well. When I press a few inches below the front facing camera, and a few inches to each side, it makes a crackling sound.

I have almost learned to live with it, but now the battery seems a bit poor as well

felixen2121

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
Does anybody know a support mail address I could write to? There are no official Apple stores here in Denmark. I’ve tried a repair shop which I Apple certified, but they think my battery is better than normal, since they diagnose it at 114% of the original capacity

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I think Apple is using crappy batteries in the 10.5" iPad, just like they did with the iPhone 6s. Before I sold my 10,5" it dropped some 6% and I hadn't used it much. My iPhone 7 is still att 100% some 14-15 months old. My 6s dropped about 10% during the same time period.

And I take good care of my batteries, usually charing between 30% to 70%.

Reactions: Stq

felixen2121

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
I think Apple is using crappy batteries in the 10.5" iPad, just like they did with the iPhone 6s. Before I sold my 10,5" it dropped some 6% and I hadn't used it much. My iPhone 7 is still att 100% some 14-15 months old. My 6s dropped about 10% during the same time period.

And I take good care of my batteries, usually charing between 30% to 70%.
I think you might be right.
We also have a 12.9 Pro 1st gen in the family. Battery wear is only 3 percent and we got it at launch.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
So...Any updates from the people reporting high battery wear level on their new iPads few month ago? How is it now? What is the wear level for comparison?
Just noticed that my 10.5'' has the same issue - a month old device with not even 10 cycles and ~3% wear.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I'm not sure if this helps, but my new non pro iPad gen 5 battery wear increased from 1% to 4% within two weeks. It also came with battery almost fully charged out of the box even it was manufactured several months ago. I don't think it should drop so fast.

Reactions: Susurs

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have never checked nor wanted to do so. I am very happy with the battery performance on my 10.5 and expect it to be just fine when given to a family member when I get the new 11.5" iPad Pro this fall.:)

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
When I got my 10,5 it also started with around 5 percent of battery wear. I guess it is completely normal. Battery life has been stellar.

Thank’s!
Does the drop stopped, and now it keeps ‘sitting’ on ~95% firmly?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I bought two Pros. 10.5 ones. At launch.

One is at 75% and the other is at 79. Less than 200 cycles on each.

My iPhone 7 is 11 months ago and at 92%. Less than 300 cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.