iPad Pro 12.9: Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by restwell, Sep 2, 2016.

1. restwell macrumors newbie

I want to buy a pro 12.9 sometime in the next year to replace my laptop and iPad mini. I have a desktop for my power user needs. My question is should I go ahead and buy now ($705 Amazon) or wait for the second generation? What do you guys think?

2. glhaynes macrumors member

True Tone + wide gamut are really nice and will surely make it to the next one. As will better cameras. It's already fast enough (though even faster never hurt) and I don't see the body changing too much in the next release, so to me it mostly comes down to how important better display/camera are to you.

3. restwell thread starter macrumors newbie

Really good analysis, glhaynes. Do you think November or March on next release. I could wait until November, I really don't want to wait until March. Thanks this is helping me clarify.

4. glhaynes macrumors member

New iPhones are coming in a few days, then there's talk of a potential Mac event before EOY. So I don't personally expect iPad updates before EOY but I don't know what "consensus" expectations are.

5. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

Buy now. There are great deals available and the next upgrade, more than likely, won't add that much to justify spending an additional hundred bucks or so. True Tone is a "nice to have," but not necessary. Unless the front-facing camera is upgraded for Skype (and that is critical for your needs), there's no reason to wait for a camera bump. You'll be quite satisfied for years to come if you pick one up today!

6. restwell thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Bummer. I want to wait just not until after EOY, will have to think on this.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the push Rudy!

7. Srb001 Suspended

you can wait until late sept.until then we will know if apple is intending to do another event.i think true tone+wide gamut+same low reflectivity as 9.7"+lighter that is a given +same 4gb ram and 50-50% to get the dual cameras lens since the 12.9" is the thicker one

8. bensisko macrumors 65816

If you're happy with the current iPP, buy now. As mentioned, I wouldn't expect an upgrade soon and the upgrade is likely minimal.

9. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I wouldn't expect another one until next year IMO

10. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The longer Apple is taking on releasing version 2 the more I’m realizing I don’t really need a 12.9” iPad. To be fair I probably will never need one by the strictest definition, but in trying to convince myself that the current version is good enough I’ve had to really look at what I would use it for and determined it would mostly just be a 2X version of the lazy distraction machine that my current iPad is. I really don’t need my lazy distraction level amplified.

Also I’ve heard many apps still aren’t optimized for the larger screen. I’m thinking that would suck.

11. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I'd get it now if you didn't want to wait until after the EOY. There haven't been many rumors about the next iteration yet, and iPads have been updating less frequently lately.

12. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

What iPad do you use now? The 4GB RAM is a BIG difference, I think. Also, I've read these reports about screen optimization, and but for a few apps that haven't been updated since iOS 5 or so (which Apple is about to cull anyway), this hasn't been an issue for me... and I have 203 apps on mine!

13. bensisko macrumors 65816

Agreed. If you're squeamish about iOS and part of the "not Pro" crowd, then yes it's going to suck. Otherwise the "not optimized" is way over blown.

14. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Well Best Buy has a sale on both sizes of the iPad Pro through Monday ($100 off.)

15. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I'm close to being in the same boat.

I've been using a 16GB iPad Air 1 since last year (bought it re-furbished just to see if I'd like an iPad) while waiting for the new MBP's to come out and replace my old 2008 Unibody. Now, I've gotten so accustomed to using the iPad, I'm not sure I want, or need, a much more expensive MBP anymore. The Air1's 16GB filled up quick so it's starting to bog down and the iPad Pro's I've messed with are very impressive.

This next Apple event is based on iOS and its devices but there's been no mention of a new iPad Pro. I think you (we) won't see an iPad Pro 2 until Spring 2017, bummer! I don't want to wait either.

16. Srb001 Suspended

if you can wait until around March...it will be a more polished ipad pro...but nothing else

17. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Ya,I wouldn't expect anything too dramatically different, but, I imagine those that have been using one probably have a list of things they would like to see changed or improved in the next version.

18. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Buy a used 12.9" off of here or Craigslist. I love my iPad Pro and the prices they are going for now are too good.

19. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Good advice. I just picked one up with Apple keyboard, Apple case for $580 and with 4-months warranty left as well. The device is flawless.

20. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It's a major suck.

To the OP: buy the Pro 12.9" on the next sale. Between now and thanksgiving, it will go on sale.

21. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

This. I'm not a fan of buying used or refurb. Especially if you plan on keeping it a long time. Best Buy's $100-off this weekend is only for the 9.7 Pro, but they or Staples will most likely have a similar deal for the 12.9 by Thanksgiving.

Beware of anyone claiming that Black Friday will offer deals better than $150 off an iPad Pro. Those claims (about the Pro and the models before it) are made every year and the reality is that those deals don't happen. The ones who held out and passed up deals like the ones at Staples/Best Buy ended up regretting that decision.

22. bufffilm, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If BB does the double sale ($125 off and $100 student sale) again on the 12.9", I may get off the v2 bandwagon and buy.

It will be awfully tempting.

I would never pay retail again on an iPad ...not when periodic sales do happen. Just a matter of waiting for it.

(For my ipad2 in 2011, I used a lot of AMEX reward points. Actually have quite a few points banked again as I wait for the v2.)

A refurb is fine...but is the 12.9" showing up with any regularity?

Never really looked and with the occasional sales going on anyway, getting a refurb at the standard markdown makes little sense.

23. Wackery macrumors 6502a

with 4 gigs of ram it's more future proof than the 9.7, it also doesn't have the soft reboot issue

24. ShaunAFC3 macrumors regular

Ummm what is a soft reboot issue???? o_Oo_O

25. Wackery macrumors 6502a