Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
4 GB RAM, big screen, 64-bit chip, nice speakers, nice pencil! a little too big, but a euphoric experience. What tablet is better on the market today? Outside of the cost, how can you go wrong? Please tell me in all sincerity.

For two-year-old technology, it performs really well and handles most tasks efficiently. The 12.9 iPad Pro is a little large for my liking, but I think it's a great alternative having the smart connector and keyboard attached. And my favorite feature is the quad speakers.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and Tarjas

bosatsu

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2015
Tokyo
Impressive battery, huge screen, good speakers and a nice pencil.

I´m editing photos on it and the screen quality is amazing. Also, a nice screen size for showing your pictures to clients/friends.

My workflow has improved a lot and i can edit them on the spot wherever I am (on the plane, hotel...).
Previously i had to wait till I get back home, sit down in front of the computer and start the whole process of selecting/deleting photos.

I hope they improve their photos app and the way you create albums.
Let´s see what iOS 11 brings to the table.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
It's pretty wonderful – I've hugged mine ever since. Maybe the only better tablet at the moment is the 7.9" iPad Pro for people who come down on the side of preferring something more PADD-sized.

Reactions: Essaux

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I bloody love this thing for reading PDF study texts and adding annotations etc. Plus it's great with Djay Pro when I take some time off! lol

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I really appreciated using one in store, such a nice big screen. But for me the current 9.7 Pro is the perfect iPad because of portability.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
prefer the 9.7 iPad pro personally.

problem i had with the 12.9 was basically no apps took advantage of the larger screen so really that extra space wasn't all that meaningful.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I love mine and I use it daily, I'm waiting for Apple to update the 12.9" iPad Pro and then my current one will be going to my dad who still uses a iPad 3.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
It's my favorite device Apple has ever released. I do agree the physical footprint is a bit too large though - on the other hand I love the bigger screen and going back to the 9.7", content feels cramped especially in split screen or slide over. It's why I'm so desperate for the rumored 10.5" device. It seems like the perfect medium. The 9.7" is ultimately a great deal more portable, and a device that size with a larger screen would be ideal IMO.

I love iOS though, so no complaints there. Hope they add some more OS level functionality to bridge between apps which still feel too siloed, but other than that from a UI standpoint it is perfect. Surface is a joke in comparison.

Also, please go OLED Apple. The display is a big weak point despite the beautiful resolution.

visegripmikey

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2016
What holds me back from a tablet vs a laptop, is the longevity of iOS. I have even have a 2009 mac mini on El Capitan and is still being kept up-to-date with security patches. 4 yrs of use vs. 8 yrs of use for the same $. Mac OS can access the full web versus a gimped version and app support lasts longer. My next purchase will probably be a Mac just for that reason. Don't get me wrong, my iPad 2 is still going strong, but without OS updates I know the security of it is past due.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I tried it, but ultimately had to return it. It's more of a desktop-equivalent to me than a tablet due to it's size and weight. Also, the software on it is severely underutilized and many apps (at the time, not sure if this has changed) either didn't update for the resolution or simply stretched out their current UI. It's a cool device and all, but it's just a bit too much for the software currently. If Apple takes the iPad serious and starts to develop the software more, it definitely has potential.

Last edited:

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I think it is one of the best devices Apple has ever made. The software (both from Apple itself and third party support of the large screen) could improve, but when I'm doing work in split screen and both apps work well and look good on screen, it's a beautiful thing

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
I bloody love this thing for reading PDF study texts and adding annotations etc. Plus it's great with Djay Pro when I take some time off! lol

So you did buy it. Feels good, doesn't it? ;)
[doublepost=1494511256][/doublepost]Size is perfect for me. I said in another thread, a couple of days ago, I'm still amazed by this thing after 6 months. The honeymoon has never ended. I regularly listen to SiriusXM and I realized the voices sound very crisp, but I just pumped up the speakers all the way, to play some music, while I did some cleaning, and WOW does that thing sound good!

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
what a fantastic thread - joy and positivity for once!

i'm with you mate. owned pc's all my life, but the 12.9 i purchased (with keyboard and pencil) on release day was a game changer for me. my first ever 'laptop' as well. It cant handle my professional work life, and I'd never expect it to, but hell, it sure handles my personal life.

It does everything. All admin and comms, spread sheets, accountancy and official stuff and fun/media downtime! so far it hasnt even come close to disappointing. i run my life on the thing and it's my constant daily companion. I'd now be lost without it.

long may it live!

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
I am really consdering the 12.9 given I'm using the 9.7-inch Pro. It's extremely useful for presentation to clients but I would love to have more space so I can property do 50:50 screen split between the web browser and Word/Excel.

Let's see what the next update would have! Otherwise I'm so going after the 10-inch iPad.

Reactions: Tarjas

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I am really consdering the 12.9 given I'm using the 9.7-inch Pro. It's extremely useful for presentation to clients but I would love to have more space so I can property do 50:50 screen split between the web browser and Word/Excel.

I've recently switched to Excel and Word on google docs, so all is edited and live in the cloud. For me, on an ipad, this is a superb solution. Fantastic editing facilities, full functionality and great resolutions. Even better than ipad resident excel/word/numbers solutions, and the specific viewing apps makes it extra peachy.

Reactions: Tarjas

Tarjas

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
FL
I agree. To really take advantage of multitasking you need the 12.9 IMHO. It works ok on my 2017 IPad but its not enjoyable like it is on my 12.9. An it is by far the fastest web browsing device I have ever used.... our 12.9 with the Logitech keyboard has become our go to device...

Reactions: millydog

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I got this as soon as it came out. I use it every day. It is a powerful complement to my MacBook Pro. In addition to browsing and using Keynote for presenting I use Concepts a lot for sketching and note taking. I'm not an artist, I use it to sketch out ideas and make simple technical drawings. I'm already on my third Pencil. The battery on the first one died after about 9 months. I treated the second one too roughly and it cracked and failed near the cap. I'd put it in my back pocket then sit on it. Won't do that with this one.

I'm looking forward to the next one. Certainly we'll see a faster processor. Maybe slightly better speed and resolution for the Pencil. Maybe slightly improved speakers. I'm just guessing that after a year of experience they've found better ways to make these.

Mostly I'd like to see better software. They should bring back linked text boxes in Pages. Keynote needs support for layers. I'd also like Keynote to gain a sort of light table where I could store commonly used stacks of slides so that I could easily add them to a presentation.

A bigger project would see Apple make a special iOS for iPad.

Reactions: KohPhiPhi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.