iPad Pro iPad Pro 12.9 - love hate relationship

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Donka, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Okay, so a little background. I have the iPad mini 4 which I love for portability. I decided to replace my Air 2 for a Pro 9.7 to try out the likes of the Pencil and other new features. I always thought the 12.9 was too large to be practical for me but eventually caved and picked up a second hand model to play with.

The more I use the 12.9, the more I appreciate the extra screen space and resolution. It is a fantastic media consumption device and my go to device at home with Plex or YouTube. I also think the Pencil just works better with the larger screen - I like using it on the 9.7 but much prefer it on the 12.9.

I keep hitting certain issues that I find bothersome though. For general reading or surfing the net, I much prefer the 9.7. I just find it more comfortable to use at normal distances and the 12.9 makes your eyes work harder as you traverse the bigger screen. I also really hate the stock iOS interface on the 12.9. I think some things can better optimised on the iPad and the 12.9 just exacerbates these niggling issues.

Ultimately though, for me the 12.9 hardware is great but the software lets the side down. Some apps work really well such as Procreate, Garageband, iMovie etc. but iMovie especially, while powerful and a useful tool for a phone, is very limited when you want to go beyond the basics. I also love the biggest iPad for photos but editing software is still a limiting factor on the iPad although I have a feeling that will change for the better when Affinity release their Photo app.

As I said in the subject, the 12.9 is a love hate thing for me. I love the hardware and some usage scenarios but hate stock iOS and the vast majority of apps on the big tablet. It seems the ideal solution currently for me is to keep all three iPads but that really is overkill and a waste of money in many ways. If Apple optimise iOS better for the iPad line and more apps make better use of the power and big screen then while still a hard decision, it would be easier to decide between the various iPads.
    I'm still torn between the 9.7 & 12.9 Pros as a home device to compliment my mini 4.

2. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Your complaints are too vague. Without a specific app or workflow issue to discuss, we can't offer much.

3. richinaus macrumors 6502a

I totally agree - my 12.9 pro is just a desktop companion now for sketching and image inspiration libraries. Laptop replacement my arse.
    It is not pleasant to read books on, the flappy keyboard is a wind up and is too heavy.

Also I agree the apps just aren't good enough overall for the 12.9 pro. I love the Adobe apps and a few others but mostly everything else feels clumsy and you know it wasn't designed for this screen size. LinkedIn has to be the worst offender for me..... Shocking.
    My GF has the smaller pro and is much better for reading and portability and agree that is not as good with the pencil.

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The 12.9" pretty much regulates you putting it on a table, but the screen space is unparalleled. The 9.7" offers the most in terms of ease of use and mobility.

I'd take the 12.9" but you have to decide.

No doubt, Apple has to greatly improve the software side of things.

5. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

I guess I was just sounding off. Apps for example - I love that i can bring my mini 4 with me and quickly edit some pictures on a decent size screen. The experience on the 12.9 is better thanks to the larger screen but ultimately it doesn't give you anything new and therefor no solid reason for me to have that with me over the mini 4. Apps like Garageband work better because they give you the ability to view more of the tracks, bigger keyboard etc. and I would want to see more apps that take advantage of the extra resolution.
    The potential is there for the 12.9 but both Apple and developers need to make better use of what it offers imho. Some apps just work better by default such as movie watching since it is all about the experience but others really could be implementing additional features. Don't get me wrong, PIP works better on the larger screen and the onscreen keyboard and multitasking are better on the larger iPad due to an increased feature set such as the number row on the keyboard or using the iPad view for apps when doing side by side. I just feel this is only the start and hope the larger devices get extra features to make better use of the hardware.
    I use Affinity Photo as an example because that is one app I am genuinely looking forward to - it could potentially replace my Macs for photo editing. I didn't buy the 12.9 as a Mac replacement but if I wanted to edit on the iPad, I could do it all without need to return the Mac for certain things and having that choice without comprise makes the 12.9 a stronger proposition.

6. appledefenceforce macrumors 6502

appledefenceforce

7. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

IMO, if you own three different sizes of the iPad there will be faults that you will find in them. And given that you indeed have three iPads there is a reason you went this route for different use cases.

I've had the 12.9" since launch and it took an adjustment period to get accustomed to carrying around to use it, but it's my sole iPad which I use it the same way regardless if it's a Mini or a 9.7" iPad Pro. Although it's a good problem to have, but I do think it's overkill to have three iPads... can't really say which Pro model to give up all depends on what you prefer the most.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

This.

It took me about 2 weeks to get over the "shock" of how large it seemed. I've owned a 9.7 iPad of various generations, every day since day-1 of gen-1 so I was very accustomed to the form-factor. It took another few weeks to get comfortable with it.

The 12.9 iPP is my sole iPad as well. It's odd that some folks think that any of the form-factors should be universally acceptable as the best one. As you say, it all depends upon personal preference.

The greatest challenge for me with regard to 12.9 ownership is finding/making the time to fully explore all that it can do for me. I'm pretty busy, and though I've been extremely successful in modifying my workflows to use the Pro (it has replaced both my iPad Air 2 and 11" Macbook Air as my mobile solutions), there's much more that I can do with it if I had the time to explore. :(

9. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

The iPad mini was my device of choice before the pro came along. I wanted to ditch the laptop when I got up after night shift. Busy household, kids, dog etc.

I find a decent size screen and a portable stash away device ideal. No need for the iPad mini anymore. I find my wife's iPad Air on the small side now. Like looking at a mini after using the 9.7. ☺️

At the weekend when I'm an insomniac due to my routine I use PC/Little Lenovo laptop when required. ☺️

10. Glene macrumors 6502

I got my 12.9 pro yesterday and I've been using it for the last 24 hours, it is exactly what I thought it would be. It is just a big iPad. Very satisfied with it.

11. doboy macrumors 68000

Simple. Ditch the Mini 4 and keep the 9.7" & 12.9". :)
    IMO, best setup is iPhone 6s+ (or equivalent sized phone), 9.7, & 12.9.

12. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

I'm actually leaning the other way. I prefer the smaller devices when on the go so currently have and iPhone 5s and will be keeping the mini 4. The choice for me is between the two Pros.

13. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If you have a mini 4, I'd suggest choosing the larger Pro as it offers a significantly different experience compared to the mini that the 9.7 does.

14. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

Yup, that is kind of where I am at just now. As I say though, there are aspects of the 12.9 I don't like though which is really stopping me from making the call and they are all software related. I still use the iPad a lot for surfing and emails and I prefer doing that on the smaller Pro in all honesty. I'm just not keen on how that size of screen is under-utilised in iOS. First world problem I know - perhaps my own fault for picking up a 12.9 to play around with it in the first place! ;)

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I don't have this problem, because I use my 12.9 iPP in zoom mode. :p

16. doboy macrumors 68000

Then keep all three. It's just money ;)

17. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Does this make things fuzzier?

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't think so, though I'm not the best person to ask, as I don't have good eyesight.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Don't have the iPP 12.9 but on the iPhone 6+, yeah it's fuzzy.

20. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

21. tagumcity macrumors member

All of my mobile computing is accomplished with the IPP 12.9, 9.7 or IPm4. At the moment I still use a desktop because I enjoy having 3 screens. But I'm going to experiment with my iPads connected to each screen. I have the Logitech k810 keyboard that will switch between 3 devices and have an Apple pencil.

(We have a Project Fi account that allows for multiple no monthly fee data sim cards. So I ditched the iPhone for awhile & save the monthly plan cost.)

22. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I could never want more than one iPad...for its uses they all do the same thing....nothing really differentiates them besides screen size......my iPad Pro 12.9 is enough....I can't believe people have 3. My workflow devices includes 2 Windows 10 laptops, one chromebook, Galaxy Tab s2 9.7,iPad Pro 12.9, and my upcoming Note 7 (this is my last week with my galaxy 6 edge plus).

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You have two laptops but question why people have multiple iPads?

24. tagumcity macrumors member

Agreed. Device usage is a personal experience, hence the use of the pronoun "I".

25. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Laptops have more ways to differentiate your workflow...I can't say the same for iPads......