iPad Pro 12.9 New Cases Thread

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Vulcan4770, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Vulcan4770 macrumors member

Vulcan4770

Wanted to start a place where we can put together new cases for the 2017 model.

So far I'm aware of Logitech and one on amazon. Any other good ones out there yet?

2. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

I've ordered a cheap Amazon 12.9 for my new pre-order. Gotta have something. Worried though as I read mic has moved?

3. Meezermouzer macrumors member

Meezermouzer

4. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

Im just waiting for this thread to pick up! Im holding off for a bit to see if good cases come out.

5. JustCrusin macrumors member

I saw this too as I am considering the keyboard case. However, it specifically mentions "Compatible with Apple iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2nd (Release in March 2017)" I didn't see anything mentioning the June 2017 release.

6. Meezermouzer, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2017

Meezermouzer macrumors member

Meezermouzer

I'm assuming they just made a mistakes in terms of the date. The pictures and the rest of the description mention the 12.9". The listed dimensions also seem to match up (12.2 x 0.4 x 8.9 inches).

I am hoping it's correct because I bought one--it seem relatively cheap enough to take the risk. If it's wrong I will just not open my iPad until I can find something better. I'm not risking scratching this baby.

7. Tabby macrumors newbie

8. Retroglide08 macrumors member

Retroglide08

Another vote for the ERS brand. Just needed something on it to protect until something else turns up. Although, looking at this case, it seems to tick all the correct boxes.

9. liushi macrumors newbie

liushi

Are the cases for the 1st gen iPad Pro incompatible?

10. zerolight, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Sent back the Jtech. Ordered a 2017 ESR until the good cases come out, or I decide to buy a smart keyboard.

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Was the Jetech for the 2015 12.9 model?

12. Meezermouzer macrumors member

Meezermouzer

So I just got the ESR today in the mail which appears to match the 2nd Gen specs. It has a frosted finish with a texture I would think will not scratch the back of the IPP but only time will tell. It does not have an odor.

The edges and the border that goes around the "Bumper" portion are transparent. What is worrying me is that the logo is embossed on the inside where the back of IPP goes so it might scratch depending on how well seated the IPP is.

It's basically a sheet of semi-flexible plastic. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

13. ssledoux macrumors 6502a

ssledoux

Is this one going to fit for sure? Some of the stuff I saw that referenced 2017 said it was for a March iPad release. It really confused the crap out of me.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Could you share the link?

14. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Do you have the new 12.9 yet? I picked up mine this morning and the ESR seems the best option for a case at the moment. I have an ESR case on my 9.7 Pro which I like but I see the volume and power buttons are covered on this 12.9 version which I am not so keen on. I might still order the 12.9 ESR case tonight for delivery tomorrow but wanted your thoughts on it. TIA.

15. Retroglide08 macrumors member

Retroglide08

I'm sat here with the ESR case but I'm a bit dubious with the sharp edges. Worried it may mark the shiney bezels

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am surprised Otterbox doesn't have cases ready.

17. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

18. purdueboiler87 macrumors member

I put the case from my 2015 12.9 and it fits but the flash is blocked.

http://a.co/6dQdjKc

I love my Devicewear case. I emailed them about an updated version and they told me they weren't aware that the new model was different. You would think when your business is to make cases for devices, you would stay on top of the changes. I'll use the old case until I find something with the correct cutouts.

19. Meezermouzer, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

Meezermouzer macrumors member

Meezermouzer

So I can confirm that the ESR case is indeed correct and fits the 2nd Gen 12.9 IPP well. My IPP does not move around at all. I was very careful to push my device into the case. I am using a Smart Keyboard right now with no issues.

I think for the money, and considering the options, you should purchase it. This is most likely a temporary thing for me until better options arise so I don't need it to perfect. To be honest I was considering returning it because of the stiffer edges Retroglide mentioned but I think it is because I am so use to silicone I was probably a little too over cautious.

Here is a link to it on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ESR-Perfect-Keyboard-Bumper-Protection/dp/B0718WGB8N/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497399180&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=ESR+Clear+Hard+Case+[Per

20. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Does the rear shell of the ESR case have a rubbery or Matt texture/feel to it?

21. Meezermouzer macrumors member

Meezermouzer

It's matte. There isn't really anything rubbery on this. The only parts that could be considered softer are the volume and sleep/wake button covers--ESR calls them "FlexPress" buttons. The "bumper" is a little softer but doesn't feel really like rubber.

22. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Thanks. One final question. Does the rear camera lens sit flush with the case or is the case much thicker leaving the camera lens recessed? Just curious as I prefer as thin a case as possible where the lens sits flush with the rear shell.

23. Meezermouzer macrumors member

Meezermouzer

The rear camera is a little bit below the exterior surface of the case so is it less prone to being scratched.

24. Retroglide08 macrumors member

Retroglide08

Has there been any update from Apple regarding official 2nd gen 12.9 cases?