Ipad pro 12.9 w/ pencil.. Screen protector or not?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kofman13, Jun 10, 2018.

?

Screeen protector or not with 12.9 and daily pencil use?

1. Yes

41.7%
  2. No

58.3%
  1. kofman13 macrumors regular

Just got a 12.9 iPad Pro and pencil yesterday and loving it. I am really afraid to constantly tap and draw with the pencil, sometimes rest my arm/wrist on the screen to write, maybe while doing so my metal watch band will scratch the screen. all kinds of reasons to be afraid of scratching this beauty. i have a tempered glass screen protector coming today and will test, but i know it will always be sharper and more vibrant without one.

Any of yall use 12.9 ipad pro without a screen protector and use the pencil daily?

2. FineFuturity macrumors member

FineFuturity

I use the screen protector not just for protection from everyday-use scratches, but also for the exact reasons you mention regarding the Pencil. Plus, I feel that heavy use of the Pencil will inevitably wear down the nib and scratch the screen as a result. If you want to keep the screen pristine and not risk scratching from Pencil wear, a screen protector is, imo, *absolutely* necessary.

3. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

What protector do you use and recommend?

4. FineFuturity macrumors member

FineFuturity

There's no particular brand I recommend, honestly. I bought this one and it seems to do the job just fine. If you can find one on Amazon which comes in a pack of 2 or more and has decent reviews, those are the ones you ought to consider.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

i have just this scenario and i'm not worried about the tapping. however the fingerprints etc make me insane. I just ordered a thin film cover cause I've done the same with my phones for the same reason and it works very well.

6. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

i got a Sparin tempered glass and it works really well. Which film did u get?

7. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

NO protector—unless you’re absent minded and clumsy with your gear.

Ive had both versions of the iPad Pro 12.9 — both purchased on their respective launch days.

I use the iPad Pro daily (well 5 days a week) with the pencil and ZERO ZERO ZERO scratches. I keep the ipad in a logitech keyboard case that everybody hates.

I vote NO unless you are, as i typed, clumsy with your gadgets. I also dont buy apple warranties or extended warranties for cars.

8. JagdTiger macrumors member

JagdTiger

The glass screen protectors will allow a nice picture quality.

It would also be shielded better with a case around it.

9. laurasaur25 macrumors member

What about the matte screen protectors? I plan on getting a pro in the fall and have read that the matte ones allow for an experience more similar to writing on paper.

10. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

Bought my Gen one 12.9 pro on launch day 2015. Bought the pencil as soon as I could find it. I use it for taking lots of notes and working with PDF's almost daily. Never had a screen protector and I haven't seen any scratches at all. Only cover I use is the ASK. It didn't take me but a few days to adjust to the feeling of "writing" on glass.

11. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

ive had one since launch. i would only bother to get screen protector if you want better drawing performance. otherwise the screen is tough. i abuse the heck out of mine no case no anything , i take it everywhere and it only has a couple scratches. A nice case with cover provides good enough protection unless you have kids or something.

12. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

I've lost track the number of folk who've told me the same thing and then...

Here's the thing - life happens. It's not down to being clumsy, quite often it's down to sheer luck (or lack thereof).

13. wib macrumors member

When I got my first iPad, I didn't get AC, but someone persuaded me to go back and get it by saying 'It's not about how careful you are, it's the people around you.' And animals, cars, stray bikes, people on skates...

Touching wood, I haven't had an accident with mine, but you never know...