Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Screeen protector or not with 12.9 and daily pencil use?

• Total voters

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I was surprised how little it helped. I think it's because the pencil tip is much harder than
surface or wacom pens. There was a little chatter that pencil 2018 had more drag, but it seems
like just a rumor.

If the new Pencil has more drag compared to the previous one, I don’t feel it.

As for how little the protector helps, there is a huge difference for me, when I tried a 25% matte protector. Very similar feel surface feel to my friend’s Cintiq Pro and its pen. Either way, that’s very subjective so if you don’t like how the screen protectors feel, you don’t like it.

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
The iPad Pro 2018 has more screen drag. I have the old and the new iPad and it is noticeable. CNET also mentioned it in their review. The old screen feels like it has a ass screen protector on compared to the new one.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I had some scratches with the 2017 iPad Pro. Couldn't figure out how it happened.

Anyway, I got a matte screen protector for the increased texture which is nice for drawing.
The screen protector also doubles up to protect against scratches.
2018 has more screen drag, but it's still slippery.

As for the pen tip wearing out, there are also cheap replacement tips you can get on ebay.

Matte screen protectors need to have the camera cutout for FaceID to work properly.

As far as brands of screen protector goes, cheap ones will do. They are just screen protectors, pieces of plastic that should not cost so much.

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
The iPad Pro 2018 has more screen drag. I have the old and the new iPad and it is noticeable. CNET also mentioned it in their review. The old screen feels like it has a ass screen protector on compared to the new one.
Glass screen protector. I was not referring to the quality.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Are there any differences with the 4th gen iPad Pro’s? Zollotech on YouTube says his last pro had loads of scratches on it. Just wondering if those with the new 2020 pro are using screen protectors?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My husband and I still have our original icarez crystal clear cheapo protectors on our 2015 ipad pro 12.9s. I just got my son a new iPad pro 11” and put a $15 glass protector on it - wow that thing is clear.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I bought a case and am waiting for it to be delivered. I chose not to get a screen protector since I bought Apple Care. I figured that the cost of a new screen via Apple Care is almost equivalent to buying a good screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.