iPad Pro 12.9" worth it as just a big iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Nov 16, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I have a rMBP 13". I also have an iPad Air 2. I'm not looking to replace the MacBook Pro at all. I don't need the iPad to be Pro. But I may want it to have a really large screen. So is the 12.9" Pro worth it as just a large iPad? That's really all I'd use it for: everything I use my 9.7" Air 2 for now + likely textbooks when I start online classes in January; I don't need or want it to be a pro device, laptop replacement, or content creation device.
    Does the form factor get in the way, or is it really great? Is the larger screen worth it, or too much? Is the larger 12.9" iPad worth it to get just as a traditional iPad and not a Pro? I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

2. Math889 macrumors 65816

Wait for the IPad Pro 2 12.9 with true tone display . Don't buy the Pro now , unless you really want to buy it . It will come in March the new IPads

3. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The 12.9 Pro seems to popular for movies and better resolution. Most have said once they get past the large screen size, they typically don't use their smaller iPad as much.

If you appreciate the Apple Pencil, then that's something else to consider. Myself personally, I am holding out until the March Keynote. Apparently we will see debut of three iPads.

But that's not to say the 12.9 iPad isn't a bad buy, it has its advantages. Also the 12.9 Pro has amazing sound quality with the quad speakers.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    Tru-Tone display really isn't a strong selling point. If @JerTheGeek purchases the 12.9 Pro now, it's still a solid iPad for years to come. The Pro's biggest features are the speakers, increased resolution and Apple Pencil. It also is clocked slightly faster than the 9.7 Pro, with An additional 4GB of Ram.

4. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I got mine early this year and I still haven't gotten a Pencil. It is "just a big iPad" to me and I am more than satisfied. However, at this point, I would probably wait until a refresh, not for True Tone, just for A10X Fusion, etc. I still might buy an Apple Pencil, though I likely will wait until a refresh.

5. PrettyWings macrumors member

That's pretty much why I bought it. Some things are nicer on a bigger screen.

6. Math889 macrumors 65816

Quad core A10X Fusion processor . Wow!!!! I can't wait

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's really what it comes down too. It's just a bigger iPad with better sound quality. It serves its purpose for media and other purposes. But the big seller is the larger screen for those who appreciate that feature.

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Especially for media and movies, the 12.9 Pro is ideal for this. And with the quad speakers.

9. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

It sounds like you dont need the; CPU, Apple Pencil, Smart KeyBoard or speakers?

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I think most who upgrade to the smaller Pro,
    Are not interested in the Apple Pencil. Seems the 12.9 Pro would be more of an appropriate fit.

11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

If I get one, I may use the Apple Pencil for school stuff, possibly. And yeah, the main reason I'd upgrade is screen size, and it sounds like that's reason enough to upgrade

12. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I have the 9.7" Pro with the pencil. I find it more portable, comfortable and manageable compared to the 12.9 Pro especially for note taking and carrying around. If you are into drawing and art design, perhaps 12.9" would make more sense but for everyday use, 9.7" suits me better. It all depends on your use and choice.

13. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed. I think for someone in school, the 12.9 would be perfect. I have also heard positive things about Apple's keyboard as well. Good luck with your decision @JerTheGeek.

14. PrettyWings macrumors member

I've watched only like 2 videos in the week I have had it. Listening to all my music to see if I can hear some stuff I haven't heard before. The speakers sound very full.

15. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I think the quad speakers was brilliant with Apple. Even the stereo speakers sound amazing on the iPhone 7.

16. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I really think the 12.9 would be nice for my uses. My only concern with the Pro is will it be too big.... I know it would be awesome for many uses, but I'm not sure how it would be in certain situations. To those who have it, is it excessively cumbersome to take with you or use around the house/outside?

17. ericwn macrumors 65816

I think this should be easy for people who already have a device with these dimensions- the screen of the 13" MBP is about the same size as the iPad Pro. I'm currently using a smaller iPad but my next update will be to the bigger screen, for sure!

18. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Nope, not worth it. Apps aren't optimized and it's a whole bunch of wasted space. Blown up iPhone, but even more so than a normal iPad.

19. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

It's true that Apple does need to do more with iOS to make it better fit on the larger Pro. One can only hope.

But I will buy the Pro 2 12.9" even if unoptimized. Just waiting for the annoucement and then the first $100 sale to appear.

20. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Yea and I totally get that some people have specific use cases for the machine, but it just bothers me that it seems so hmm underutilized? A lot of power, beautiful screen, touch input, pen input, but no real innovation from anything that's been done before, by Apple or otherwise. Once they improve the OS and make it thinner and lighter, I'd give it another look.

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I bought one of each size but after a week returned the 12.9 for another 9.7. Bigger screen made little difference to be except add size. Love my 9.7 units.

22. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

They don't need to make it thinner and lighter..my greatest wish is for more battery.

I hate that the screen real estate is so badly underutilized for the Pro 12.9", but I'm still in. Hopefully, this is will be addressed in a later release.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, for some use cases it is definitely too big. It is a no-go on planes, for example. A good rule of thumb is, if you'd have no problem taking/using a 13" Macbook Air in a particular scenario then you should be fine with the 12.9 iPP. (generally speaking, there's probably some exceptions)

I have no problem taking it to work, using it on my desk alongside my company's computer, or taking it to meetings as a notepad/notebook. It's even fine at the coffee shop.

One challenge is the ASK. I love the smart keyboard but there are times when it is a bit unwieldy when unfolding to reposition it. That is why I also have a smart cover. When I know that I won't have a lot of typing to do and want to maximize portability and sleekness, it works well.

I was sorely disappointed that iOS 10 was little more than Emojipalooza :( If Apple doesn't come through with an iPad-centric update to iOS then I'll be re-thinking my tablet/notebook/converged device philosophy.

24. PrettyWings macrumors member

Yeah, I am very happy with the speakers.

What situations?

25. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed. The iPad is incredibly thin as is. Internal focus is the improvement and will always be. Apple can only make the iPad so thin.