Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Nice try. Rumors all point to spring at the soonest, with fall of 2017 even being thrown around for updated iPad Pros.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Just new Macs, some Apple TV updates, and release date for AirPods. I am content with my iPad Pros, (if they announce a new 12.9") then yeah, I may upgrade it, but it's not a needed upgrade. The screen is fantastic, the sound, the power, the size and weight are amazing. The iPad line-up, is right now... perfect.

Kallum.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Yeah, IIRC iPad sales have been drooping for the past few cycles. There are very few compelling reasons for many people to upgrade. Mainly because the last couple of iPad generations have been so damn good. The 3 year old iPad Air 2 is still pretty much the tablet to beat in value for what you get. Both Pro models are amazingly optimized and polished products. I own a 9.7 Pro and am extremely happy with it, most 13 Pro owners I know are also extremely satisfied. Any update tomorrow would have to be extremely significant to convince people to upgrade in sufficient volume.

I would not be surprised if Apple went to a 18-24 month cycle on iPad updates with more substantial upgrades each cycle and staggering releases across the product line. The 9.7 inch being the flagship and getting the newest updates first, followed up by the 13 inch a little later, then the mini awhile after that, then kicking the whole cycle off again. That was the cadence they used to use on the MacBook line. 15" tended to get the major updates first, then the 17" and 13" down the road.

Reactions: nickyD410

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
It just occurred to me that the 12.9 iPad Pro was launched as a more or less direct competitor to the Surface Pro 4. There were plenty of posts at that point making comparisons and people trying to figure out which one to get. I seem to remember coming across an article at some point stating that the 12.9 iPad Pro is outselling the Surface Pro 4, so Apple won that battle from a pure sales perspective. The thing is, Microsoft didn't announce a Surface Pro 5 at yesterday's event, which came as no surprise since we've been hearing rumors for months that the Surface Pro 5 has been pushed to next year. Given the fact that the current 12.9 is still an amazing product and that there is nothing new to compete against it, there's little reason to allocated resources for an update during a time period where they already got their hands full.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Not sure what the point would be, iPad sales have been declining for years and obviously the Pro line has not changed that around - the tablet market is saturated and stale, a spec bump wouldn't do Apple any good.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Just new Macs, some Apple TV updates, and release date for AirPods. I am content with my iPad Pros, (if they announce a new 12.9") then yeah, I may upgrade it, but it's not a needed upgrade. The screen is fantastic, the sound, the power, the size and weight are amazing. The iPad line-up, is right now... perfect.

Kallum.
Not quite... add an iPad Mini Pro... THEN it would be perfect. :p

Reactions: emembee

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Looks like I was right about there being no new/refreshed iPads at the event.

I hate being right...

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Stay tune...

;)
The only way I buy an iPad Pro 2 is if there's an Intel CPU inside. Intel begged Apple to use the Core M chips in the current iPad Pro line up 12.9 and 9.7 but the package was not ready and didn't physically fit the 9.7 Pro. So Apple can't offer one IPad Pro with an Intel chip and one with an A9X. So now comes the 10.5 Pro soon and 12.9 with Intel Core M CPUs and the 9.7 Pro gets a $100 drop and the Air 2 gets axed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.