iPad Pro 2 waiting

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Feb 27, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

Anyone else waiting for the iPad Pro 2 instead of the 12.9 inch tablet (hope i got that right) ?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You mean the 9.7 inch iPad that is rumored to be announced in March? I doubt it'll be called iPad Pro 2. In fact, I'm skeptical it'll be called iPad Pro at all, because that'll cause a lot of naming confusion, like this one.

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

No the next 12.9 inch tablet.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ah, ok. Well, you'll be waiting until next fall, at the earliest.

So what features are you waiting for?

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

The next iPad I will be getting is when they have one with a folding screen. I'm guessing that will be 2-4 years.

I like the bigger screen size. So only reason to upgrade will be when they can give me the bigger screen size in a much smaller form factor.

6. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

Folding screen? Bigger screen size in a smaller form factor? Am I the only one who doesn't understand what this means?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Something like the Microsoft Courier?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Courier

[​IMG]

8. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

9. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Yea that thing is hideous.

10. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So you can roll this up, but not fold it, right? That's not going to save that much space, as anyone who tried to carry a rolled up piece of paper (like movie poster) would know.

12. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

13. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

That's the real question.

What will they change between the Pro and the second one?

14. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

A movie poster is the size of a television. Take a normal sheet of printer paper and try rolling that up like a window shade. The result is will be much smaller than an iPad Pro.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

A rolled up sheet of paper is kind of difficult to carry. If you roll up an iPad Pro size screen, the resulting roll will be quite a bit thicker than the iPP in a flat state. It wouldn't fit into the bag I'm currently using to carry the Pro, which is a very slim bag. Nor would it fit into the outside pockets of briefcases, which were originally meant for magazines, newspapers, and thin stacks of paper, but turns out iPads fit nicely in those pockets. Roll it up, and it doesn't fit.

16. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Also let's not forget that the iPad has other components as well, which might not actually roll up that well or as tightly. My guess is we're not going to see a rollable iPad in the next "2-4" years.

17. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

A "rollable iPad"? Where are we, ancient Egypt? Humans switched from scrolls to flat paper and books many hundreds of years ago.

18. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for the iPad Pro 5.

These threads are just silly...as soon as the iPad Pro 2 is released, people will complain about it and say they are waiting for the iPad Pro 3.

19. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

You will be waiting a while. You have to use special gloves to touch this iteration of the screen. So they have to find other materials that would produce the same effect.

Also, you roll this, not fold it. There a world of difference in solving for both of those.

20. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

As Samsung demonstrated at CES, they can make a number of smaller panels work as one large panel. Now that the screen can go right to the edge of the device, they can now do that. As these devices continue to get thinner and thinner, at some point they will just split the screen in half and make it so you can fold it in half like a laptop to close it and carry it around, and then fold it open to use it.

And yes, alternatively they will probably also have tablets and screens that roll up like a window shade. Many people are commenting that such a device would be difficult to carry. That all depends on how thin it rolls up. This one shown by LG is just the first one they have. Think of how it will look in just 2 years from now, or 5 years from now. What if your iphone were to roll up as small as a roll of dimes, but then unroll to a screen size of an iPad mini?

My guess going forward is that we will see a convergence of the phone and tablet into a device that can have a larger screen when needed just by unfolding or unrolling it, yet can use a smaller screen when used in the hands, and still folds into something that can fit in your pocket.

Can you guys not see that we have reached ultimate thinness in these devices? If it gets any thinner without bending, then it will break. Already we have seen iPhones that were easy to bend. If the iPad Pro were to get any thinner, it would bend during normal use. The solution is to make it bendable so that it bends without breaking.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That is what Microsoft Courier would have been, albeit a lot thicker than any devices using these new screen technologies.

22. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

But like a previous post mentioned... The other components. Folding battery? I saw a mock up of the phone with the expanding screen. Maybe someday but not for a tablet. People want to be able to hold it and use it and the second you start having folds or bends there are weak points. Maybe they add some reinforable brackets but that just leads to more moving parts that will lead to breakage and not worth the hassle. I think devices are thin enough. Find me some more features that make me want to upgrade. I love my pro. It's excellent. Want to improve it? Maybe a longer lasting battery but so far I haven't had any issues.

23. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I appreciate your response Erik. Yes, I can see very interesting things in the future. I just have my doubts when it comes to "assuming" how and when they will show up in consumer products.

You mention the folding part, but there is still a seem there. Unless the hinge magically aligns the two(or more) folded screen components, such that no seem can be detected with the human eye. Otherwise, you have synchronized individual displays, in a wireframe pattern. I know that would drive a significant % of people, bat ish crazy.

I find that with technology, we are perpetually 5-10 years away when it comes to neet things like this. The only TRUE revolutionary tech item we've really gotten our consumer hands in, in the last 5 years, has been SSDs. I'd consider Mailable screens like this, would be another one of those truly revolutionary tech components.

24. bensisko macrumors 65816

Sort of... The Courier is not one continuous display, it's more like two displays working in tandem acting as one display.

Honestly, though, if Microsoft had produced the courier, I would have bought a courier instead of an iPad. The demos showed exactly what I've always wanted in a device!

As for "rollable" displays, I just don't see that as a consumer product - meaning I don;t see anyone making a product where you can 'roll up' the screen and have that appeal to a mass market. I think these displays are more about being flexible than anything else. Consumers will see these built into products where a flat piece of glass is impractical.

25. devilsnj30 macrumors member

Everyone knows that the iPad Pro 5 wont be called that. It will probably be the iPad Premium. Which is terrible, so Apple.. NO.