Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
My iPad's iOS maxed out at version 9.x and I since I never used it a lot for working I have not been using it much the past few years. I now have several good uses for an iPad in my work flow so am upgrading and going for an Apple refurb iPad Pro 2017. Aside from a few years extended iOS upgradeability, are there any salient abilities of the latest one that the 2017 lacks? I need it to sync with my Mojave MacBook Pro and my High Sierra CMPro for some apps, and also as a field computer for photography, both for light image correction and camera control. I have lost the feel for recent iOS and iPads and figure user's inputs will be the best way to get up to speed.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The round Apple Pencil 1 for the iPad Pro 2017 is really annoying. It rolls off the table, is awkward for charging, and there is nowhere to put it. Also, I think I would prefer the Face ID feature of the 3rd generation. In addition, making external storage work on the iPad Pro 2017 is really annoying. If you're doing photography and need to plug in external drives, it would be much more convenient on the 3rd generation with its full power USB-C port.

That said, the 2017 model is WAY cheaper, as is its version of the Apple Pencil and the Apple Smart Keyboard (on Amazon).

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I have a 2017 12.9” and really enjoy it. Sure the first gen Apple Pencil is a bit quirky to charge and such but I found a case with a little pocket for it on Amazon.

Amazon in fact, is where I bought mine refurbished before the Christmas rush and cost me just a little over $550 for the decked out 512GB Cellular model. It came flawless and no issues with the display.

Runs like a champ with iPadOS 13 and Procreate offers plenty of layers.

Last edited:

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
The round Apple Pencil 1 for the iPad Pro 2017 is really annoying. It rolls off the table, is awkward for charging, and there is nowhere to put it. Also, I think I would prefer the Face ID feature of the 3rd generation. In addition, making external storage work on the iPad Pro 2017 is really annoying. If you're doing photography and need to plug in external drives, it would be much more convenient on the 3rd generation with its full power USB-C port.

That said, the 2017 model is WAY cheaper, as is its version of the Apple Pencil and the Apple Smart Keyboard (on Amazon).
Thanks for sharing. Cost is a factor, which is why I generally buy used, refurbed or last years model. I'm willing to sacrifice some convenience as repetitive tasks become easy to do with time.
[automerge]1577728617[/automerge]
I have a 2017 12.9” and really enjoy it. Sure the first gen Apple Pencil is a bit quirky to charge and such but I found a case with a little pocket for it on Amazon.

Amazon in fact, is where I bought mine refurbished before the Christmas rush and cost me just a little over $550 for the decked out 512GB Cellular model. It came flawless and no issues with the display.

Runs like a champ with iPadOS 13 and Procreate offers plenty of layers.

Good to hear performance is great. I have confidence this will be a cost-effective solution for me.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Aside from a few years extended iOS upgradeability, are there any salient abilities of the latest one that the 2017 lacks?

As @EugW noted.. the Apple Pencil 2nd generation, FaceID and USB-C is the only noticeable abilities that differentiate the 2018 iPP from the 2017 iPP.

But since you are on iOS 9 and haven’t upgraded to the past 4 versions... you’ll be in for a treat with iPadOS.

Reactions: macmesser

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Yup go for it, there are nice to have features on the newer generation but they are by no means deal breakers in terms of one's abilities to get things accomplished vs the older models.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
As @EugW noted.. the Apple Pencil 2nd generation, FaceID and USB-C is the only noticeable abilities that differentiate the 2018 iPP from the 2017 iPP.

But since you are on iOS 9 and haven’t upgraded to the past 4 versions... you’ll be in for a treat with iPadOS.
OP has an iPad 3. Practically anything is better than that. :p

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not the battery life... this thing have a 11000mAh battery... huge
That I concede. Iirc, I could leave the iPad 3 on standby for a month and it would still have some charge when I pick it up.

The 2017 Pro 12.9 has a similarly sized battery (41.4 Wh) as the iPad 3 (43 Wh) but its standby power consumption appears higher (perhaps due to background refresh and multitasking?).

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Looking forward to it. Setting up now.:)
[automerge]1577783625[/automerge]
That I concede. Iirc, I could leave the iPad 3 on standby for a month and it would still have some charge when I pick it up.

The 2017 Pro 12.9 has a similarly sized battery (41.4 Wh) as the iPad 3 (43 Wh) but its standby power consumption appears higher (perhaps due to background refresh and multitasking?).
True abut the 3, although the battery charge is not as good as in its youth by a long shot. I need to recondition it a bit with some repetitive charging and discharging. It will be now be repurposed as an alarm clock/picture frame. Higher clock speed of the 2017 would use more power in itself, I'd think.

Last edited:

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Inputs regarding accessories? My "new" refurb did not come with a pen. Should I go with an Apple pen gen 1 or can I go with one of the third party versions? I assume all compatible pens that support pressure sensitivity and palm rejection are otherwise functionally identical. Apple gen 1 is the most expensive, but for the sake of KISS I'll probably go with it, unless there is a reliable equivalent (or better) from a third party. What about keyboards and cases? Third party OK or Apple? Thanks again for sharing experiences.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My "new" refurb did not come with a pen. Should I find an Apple pen or can I go with one of the third party pens? I assume all are functionally identical. Looking at Accupoint by Boxwave but I'd prefer the Apple, if I can find one.
No, no, not functionally equivalent. Not even close, according to just about every review. Get the Apple Pencil on the refurb store if it’s available.

A viable alternative (that’s missing some features) for some might be Logitech Crayon, but that’s not compatible with the iPad Pro 2017.

Last edited:

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
No, no, not functionally equivalent. Not even close, according to just about every review. Get the Apple Pencil on the refurb store if it’s available.

A viable alternative (that’s missing some features) for some might be Logitech Crayon, but that’s not compatible with the iPad Pro 2017.
Thanks for insight. I’ll go for the Apple.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for insight. I’ll go for the Apple.
Nothing beats the Apple Pencil. I have a handfull of passive and active stylii that tried to do the job, but they couldn’t even handle something as simple as dotting an i in the correct place. I could tap the screen twice in the same place with the non-Apple stylus and get two dots in two different locations on the screen. This doesn’t happen with the Apple Pencil.

Reactions: macmesser and EugW

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Are you sure that it's an iPad 3? It could be an iPad 2 or a 1st generation iPad mini.
OP has iPad 3 listed in his sig.
[automerge]1577803319[/automerge]
Nothing beats the Apple Pencil. I have a handfull of passive and active stylii that tried to do the job, but they couldn’t even handle something as simple as dotting an i in the correct place. I could tap the screen twice in the same place with the non-Apple stylus and get two dots in two different locations on the screen. This doesn’t happen with the Apple Pencil.
I have the Logitech Crayon. Doesn't have pressure sensitivity but it's just as accurate as the Apple Pencil. Too bad it only works on 2018 iPads and newer.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9” 512GB model. It still works great for me, I like the Touch ID and it is incredibly responsive at doing all the things I throw at it. It doesn’t have the Bionic chip that my phone now has, but it’s not a big deal.

I don’t plan to ever upgrade again on the iPad line however, with phone screens getting larger and larger, and MacBooks getting lighter and lighter, I find that the things I do on my iPad are easily done on my MacBook or my phone, so over the long term, I plan to eliminate the iPad from my device usage once my current iPad Pro can no longer be updated. It’s got a beefy A10X chip which should still last a few years.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I just upgraded ever so slightly from the 9.7” iPP to the 10.5” iPP.

It’s mostly been great, but I do notice the “heft” being a touch more, I think mainly as the very similar weight is now distributed over a larger piece of physical hardware.

I purposely didn’t go newer as I like the bezels for gripping it in hand easily and I personally love TouchID and...it’s also fully and forever jailbreakable with checkra1n.

Also - I have nothing USB-C and thus I dramatically prefer to keep my “all Lightning” world going. It’s great to just have the right cables and connections everywhere since everything Apple around the house is Lightning.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I ordered an Apple pencil v.1 new from a good dealer who picked up the sales tax and shipping, bringing the cost of new to within pissing range of used or refurbed. The used and refurbed v.1's are hard to find at a price lower enough to make them compelling. (Probably because the prices of used/refurb iPad Pros for them are really compelling.) Would love to get any inputs on screen protectors (for image editing, writing, sketching), protective cases for the iPad Pro and pen, and also keyboards. Since I have a neoprene tablet bag maybe I'll go with a protective keyboard. I have seen glass screen protectors like the ones I have on my DSLRs. Any good, or will they interfere?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I ordered an Apple pencil v.1 new from a good dealer who picked up the sales tax and shipping, bringing the cost of new to within pissing range of used or refurbed. The used and refurbed v.1's are hard to find at a price lower enough to make them compelling. (Probably because the prices of used/refurb iPad Pros for them are really compelling.) Would love to get any inputs on screen protectors (for image editing, writing, sketching), protective cases for the iPad Pro and pen, and also keyboards. Since I have a neoprene tablet bag maybe I'll go with a protective keyboard. I have seen glass screen protectors like the ones I have on my DSLRs. Any good, or will they interfere?
Apple sells refurb Pencils every couple of weeks or so. Only about 15% off though IIRC.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
You should check out the iPad accessories forum here for ideas. I did buy an Elecom screen protector for my mini 5 last week and so far I am happy with the friction it’s added as it makes writing / drawing feel more like writing on paper vs a sharpie on a whiteboard of an uncovered iPad screen.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
My iPad's iOS maxed out at version 9.x and I since I never used it a lot for working I have not been using it much the past few years. I now have several good uses for an iPad in my work flow so am upgrading and going for an Apple refurb iPad Pro 2017. Aside from a few years extended iOS upgradeability, are there any salient abilities of the latest one that the 2017 lacks? I need it to sync with my Mojave MacBook Pro and my High Sierra CMPro for some apps, and also as a field computer for photography, both for light image correction and camera control. I have lost the feel for recent iOS and iPads and figure user's inputs will be the best way to get up to speed.
Performance wise the 2017 still is a good ipad.
But there is a single flaw which I found to be very annoying : the (in)famous bright spot.
I had it on my 2017 and it is something that would prevent me to buy another one.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
Performance wise the 2017 still is a good ipad.
But there is a single flaw which I found to be very annoying : the (in)famous bright spot.
I had it on my 2017 and it is something that would prevent me to buy another one.
I had the bright spot(s). Apple exchanged it for another one. (iPad that is, not a bright spot!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.