Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
I bought an iPad Pro 2017 10.5 256GB at a good price to test its operation.
The performance is incredible but I think it does not finish adjusting the operating system well.
That is to say to perform multimedia tasks and internet browsing is a monster but even with keyboard and mouse it can not feel like a Macbook, I can not develop in xCode and the feeling is not the same as that of a desktop operating system.
But compared to other iPads, I would think it should be at the right point of relationship between quality and price.

Reactions: macmesser

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That is to say to perform multimedia tasks and internet browsing is a monster but even with keyboard and mouse it can not feel like a Macbook, I can not develop in xCode and the feeling is not the same as that of a desktop operating system.

Not sure what you mean by adjusting to operating system well? xCode is not available for the iPad. But there is few well-made coding apps... I have Coda. So, it can do more than perform multimedia tasks and internet browsing.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Performance wise the 2017 still is a good ipad.
But there is a single flaw which I found to be very annoying : the (in)famous bright spot.
I had it on my 2017 and it is something that would prevent me to buy another one.
Thanks for sharing experience. I don't see any bright spots. Maybe I'll notice them later or maybe I got lucky.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for sharing experience. I don't see any bright spots. Maybe I'll notice them later or maybe I got lucky.
The bright spot occurs in a minority of the 2nd generation iPad Pros over time. FWIW, I don't have it, at ~10 months, but many people get it past the 1 year mark. (Mine was manufactured in July 2018 so technically it is 18 months old, but it's seen less than 10 months of usage.)

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Not sure what you mean by adjusting to operating system well? xCode is not available for the iPad. But there is few well-made coding apps... I have Coda. So, it can do more than perform multimedia tasks and internet browsing.
I’ll look in to Coda. Hopefully it’s somewhat like AppleScript.
[automerge]1578151662[/automerge]
The bright spot occurs in a minority of the 2nd generation iPad Pros over time. FWIW, I don't have it, at ~10 months, but many people get it past the 1 year mark. (Mine was manufactured in July 2018 so technically it is 18 months old, but it's seen less than 10 months of usage.)
Bummer about the time delay. If you develop bright spots it will be after warranty expires.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
The bright spot thing isn’t guaranteed lol. Reading the posts here folk would presume it’s a definite given but other than the several reported on here we have to also presume there are literally millions of 10.5 iPads that don’t have bright spots out there..like mine ?

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Recently bought a 2017 12.9” 512GB cellular iPP refurbished from Amazon and have been really surprised how nice it is. No bright spots and a good testing battery.

A huge bang for the buck I got it for and a massive upgrade from a OG iPad Air 32GB.

Mitchdoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I briefly bought one off of apple refurb site. But the price wasn't much less than a refurb of the new model. I like touch if better but in the end the form factor for video watching was nicer on new model and the screen was a bit yellow on 1 side. Rather not risk the white spot when for 175 more can get the new model

Reactions: Aydy

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Does it need to be under warranty? I have the bright spot on Air 2 and find it annoying but don't feel I want to pay to exchange it for another so unless they have it under extended program or something then I guess its not worth it. Would you happen to know, please?

I had the bright spot(s). Apple exchanged it for another one. (iPad that is, not a bright spot!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.