iPad Pro 9.7" 8th slowest out of all iPads from start up

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ACG12, Apr 15, 2016.

1. ACG12, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

ACG12 macrumors 6502

Will the iPad Pro 9.7" end up being the iPad 3?

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

I think you should re-watch the Video - the test never included a 9.7" iPad Pro so pretty hard to come to your conclusion.

3. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was between the Air 2 and iPad Pro 12.9

4. Newtons Apple, Apr 15, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am enjoying both my iPad Pros so much no need to even watch the video. So far the best iPads I have ever owned.

5. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. RedOrchestra Suspended

That's not what the title of your thread says.

7. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Updated the original post.

8. Leo90, Apr 15, 2016

Leo90 macrumors 6502

Does anyone really turn off an iPad to care about start up? I never turn mine off

9. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh man, I was using my pro for about a week now. Guess it's garbage, I should definitely get rid of it because of the once a month I might happen to restart it.

Shame.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

It is a moot point considering most people probably don't even turn their iPads off and the rare time their iPads need to be restarted it's pretty much a trivial matter. I never turn my iPad off. Once in a blue moon I need to restart it but then I don't measure the time it takes and overal it's pretty quick anyway.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Maybe it's loading the pencil recognition software. Or the ambient light sensor software. Or the 4 speaker drivers.

In other news, a lawnmower starts up faster than a locomotive.

13. Old Skool Gamer Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

"Will the iPad Pro 9.7" end up being the iPad 3?".

Of course it will, with the tight 2GB of RAM.

Glad I returned mine!

14. LCPepper macrumors regular

LCPepper

Well I find that my iPad Pro 9.7 boots faster than my Mini 4.

I stumbled upon that video today before seeing this and thought it was a little fishy.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not really. The iPad 3 suffered from weak CPU and GPU, not lack of RAM. Rather, the Pro 9.7 will probably be more like the Air 1 as iOS gets heavier. Fast processor but prone to out of memory crashes and frequent tab refreshes.

Then again, the same will be true for the Air 2 anyway since it also has 2GB of RAM (except it's got a slower CPU). Simply put, if you want a 9.7" iOS tablet, best in class at the moment is the iPad Pro 9.7". Only difference is for those on a tight budget, the savings from getting the Air 2 might enable them to upgrade their iPad sooner.

16. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You can turn them off?? This is news to me, I must try it at some point so I can be impressed or shocked by how long it takes to do something I don't need it to do. :D

17. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I definitely don't compare the iPad Pro 9.7" to the iPad 3.
    The 3 doesn't really have a place, maybe compare it to the iPhone SE, where it was obvious that Apple had a ton of parts from older models and needed to get rid of them while at the same time putting in some new ones to keep people happy.
    iPad Pro brings a lot more to the table than that.

18. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

If you think 2GB if RAM isn't enough for iOS, you've been grossly mislead. I'd demand a better explanation.

Ok, as I'm here anyway, here's one I posted previously. Because I'm being lazy it's a cut and paste job.

.........Before anyone inevitably starts shouting about the RAM, I'll just say my bit and I'm not going to argue on it. You can please yourself in what you think. No it's not (yes that's my answer to the inevitable RAM complaining,) the bottleneck I see when I'm developing apps is not the amount of memory, it's the chipset.

For instance, I've had apps running great during development on an iPad Air with 1GB of RAM. When you drop to the previous generations iPad 3 & 4, both of which have the same RAM, neither of which get anything like the frame rate of the Air 1.

The same is true of iPhones. iPhone 5s and 6, 1GB RAM, lovely performance. iPhone 5, also 1GB of RAM, nowhere like the same performance.

You'd be surprised just how well iOS can cope with 1GB of RAM or more obviously. I still am sometimes when I'm monitoring the load on the system during development. Is there a difference? Well, of course. But is 2GB something to be concerned about? Not for quite some time that's for sure.

19. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I never turn off my iPad so boot up time is relatively a non-issue.(I have a 2)

20. LCPepper macrumors regular

LCPepper

I have just done a side by side test of booting the Mini 4 and iPad Pro 9.7".

My iPad Pro booted faster, using the same trick of having the both plugged into the same power brick.
    You can hear my foot clicking on the switch at the start of the video:

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Who care how fast it boots up. I have not rebooted either of my iPad Pros from day one.

Someone needs to get out and make some friends or something.

22. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I'm surprised no-one has pointed out the title of this thread should read "8th fastest".

"8th slowest" would mean there are 7 that are slower! :p

23. stevemiller macrumors 65816

All the test proves is that it is pointless to draw conclusions from 1 unit of each hardware version tested 1 time.

According to that video the 9.7 pro takes 34s to boot.
    According to LCPeppers video, the 9.7 pro takes 16s to boot
    According to timing my own pro 9.7 several times, it consistently took 14s to boot

24. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

But 8th fastest isn't right either.

If the truth is that it loads behind the pro 12.9, then it is second fastest.

But in the test the OP presented, 8th slowest is correct.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2016 ---
    So it begs the question...what happened here?1