Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berniebennybernard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
Images - https://imgur.com/a/Ssq92

I'm sure my iPad is pretty toast at this point, but was wondering if anyone has ran into this issue of graphical glitches and could offer any tips.

It started happening the end of last year. I would get long green lines on my iPad that would result in the device freezing and rebooting itself. After the reboot, it was always fine so I thought it was just a glitch in iOS or something.

It would happen about once a week so I never thought too much of it, but two weeks ago, my iPad went kapootz. Stuck on a boot loop with graphical issues on the Apple logo like in the video. It may boot into the operating system like once every 30 reboots without an issue, but then it would like hang like the picture with black bars or other graphical anomalies. I've already tried restoring once, didn't do much.

Apple Store couldn't really replace it for me since it's been out of warranty for two months and I had no previous visit with them regarding it (I thought it was just a bug). The funny thing is that my parents' iPad 2 is still going strong several years later (albeit super sluggish).

I've done some research and it seems like it's most likely an issue with the logic board. It seems similar to an issue found with some older Macbook Pros. Anyone have possible ideas for me to try to fix this? I'm thinking of taking it apart and putting the logic board in the oven, lol. If not, I'll have to just scrap it for parts.

I don't plan on repairing it through Apple since the service fee is $509 + taxes, which is absurd. I actually went ahead and ordered a 2017 iPad 32GB for $372 taxes included since I wasn't too hopeful with an out-of-warranty service case.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.