Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I do find it interesting, though, that people are having problems with using the iPP 9,7 with Smart Cover only. My mom got the 12.9 iPad with Smart Cover, no back case, and when I used that, I didn't notice any problems with gaps, overhangs, or covering volume buttons like people are describing with the 9.7 Smart Cover.
It's the same on my iPad Mini 4

What's weird about this redesign is that with or without the back cover then there's excessive lip.

2mfhtm9.jpg

You have to wonder if it is a design flaw or a new manufacturer because it just feels 3rd Party to have such an odd fit.

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
I'm trying to figure out which part of the issue is so hard to understand for some people. If you have the back case, then it's a great fit. The complaint is from all of us (of which there are many, apparently) that DON'T USE A CASE, but want the smart cover. In the past this has been great, and now with the new iPad and case, it's not great. There's no reason to jump in here and tell us how perfect of a fit it is WITH THE SILICONE CASE, because the complaint is that it's overlappy and dumb WITHOUT the silicone case.

Combined with the fact that they don't make leather smart covers any longer, I'm waiting and hoping for a 3rd party solution. There's no way I'm paying Apple for that thing.
[doublepost=1459529975][/doublepost]
I'm having trouble finding alternatives. All other covers on the Internet that I can find have a back case, which I don't want.

It sucks that even though they made it worse it's still better than others out there.

Any suggestions?

Just wait. There were plenty of non-apple brand smart covers around the iPad 3 era sold on eBay and Amazon, so I'm anticipating there will be some released for the new 9.7 as well. I'm in the same boat--I want a leather smart cover, that doesn't have the stupid overhang w/out a back case (I use a leather skin on the back, not a case).

Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You think that overlap goes away when it's face up?
794-6ebd67159f6c2764b49dafa6d35e26b6.jpg
No but it's not noticeable and if the cover is closed you aren't actually using the iPad. The only slight annoyance might be carrying it but even the spine allows for enough give that it can slide to be slightly flush.

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
I'll make my own #$*% leather smart cover if I have to, I just need someone to show a tear-down video of the real deal first, haha.
[doublepost=1459533618][/doublepost]
I'm having trouble finding alternatives. All other covers on the Internet that I can find have a back case, which I don't want.

It sucks that even though they made it worse it's still better than others out there.

Any suggestions?
Just found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxury-Fold...pad-air-3-iPad-Pro-9-7-Tablet-PC/381579527462

It's got to come from China so shipping will be slow, and it may be modeled after the real deal meaning it could be ill-fitting like the Apple brand. But it's leather, and much cheaper. I'll let you know how it is in about a month after I receive mine, haha.

Reactions: lyngo

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
No but it's not noticeable and if the cover is closed you aren't actually using the iPad. The only slight annoyance might be carrying it but even the spine allows for enough give that it can slide to be slightly flush.

I think thats why the issue arises - for picking up and carrying the iPad with the Smart Cover on. Maybe won't bother some people, but when I had the mini 4 + Smart Cover for a while, it drove me nuts. Every time I was holding mine the cover would shift and tent up.

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
How's this for circular logic?

-Apple makes a single-SKU case with front protection and back protection.
-Apple retires the single-SKU case, offering the components separately so that customers can enjoy just the front, or just the back.
-Apple reissues just the front in a way that doesn't work well without the back.

Huh?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
How's this for circular logic?

-Apple makes a single-SKU case with front protection and back protection.
-Apple retires the single-SKU case, offering the components separately so that customers can enjoy just the front, or just the back.
-Apple reissues just the front in a way that doesn't work well without the back.

Huh?
How exactly does the new cover not "work well"? Funny, for me it does everything advertised and expected. You're implying that some function or feature doesn't work without the back which is completely false.

Hows this for logic.....they created a BETTER solution than the old smart case which never allowed for the cover to be removed. They are giving people MORE options now and you guys still wanna bitch about it.

On the flip side if the cover didn't have the 2mm overhang, you'd all be on here complaining about how its hard to open the smart cover with the back case attached. (as many did before with the old style case. )

#cantwin

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
How exactly does the new cover not "work well"? Funny, for me it does everything advertised and expected. You're implying that some function or feature doesn't work without the back which is completely false.

Hows this for logic.....they created a BETTER solution than the old smart case which never allowed for the cover to be removed. They are giving people MORE options now and you guys still wanna bitch about it.

On the flip side if the cover didn't have the 2mm overhang, you'd all be on here complaining about how its hard to open the smart cover with the back case attached. (as many did before with the old style case. )

#cantwin

Simply put, it's not flush for those that don't want a back case but still use the angle for on screen typing. Some of us don't want the added bulk. Typing on this new "better" (as you say) Smart Cover is tipsy at best when not using a back cover.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

#cantwin

I do think it was a nice idea to separate the two, allows more customization, can use a smart cover like how one would traditionally do but with a rear case as well. It's just that the use case for those who go smart cover only kind of suffers. Does the smart cover work when the iPad is sitting on a table or in a bag unused? Sure it does. But lifting or carrying the iPad around the cover shifts and moves too much compared to previous smart covers that sat perfectly flush.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I got the Royal Blue Smart Cover, this is my first iPad and I have to say that it looks and works fine to me...I wouldn't have noticed this 'issue' it it wasn't for this thread...I don't use the case.

Reactions: Night Spring

Kevin Bohacz

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
I had an iPad Pro 12 + pencil and traded it in on the pro 9.7 + pencil. I've had just about every model of iPad from the beginning and the 9.7 pro is simply great... not so for the 12 ipad pro.

I just got the Apple smart cover for my iPad Pro 9.7 and I am extremely disappointed. The Apple smart cover does not fit correctly. It has a sloppy fit that is not at all up to the level it should be for a $10 cover let a lone a $50 cover.

This not so smart cover design is described by the author of an article on arstechnica.com in which he calls the problem “overflap.” There are many complaints about this “dumb smart cover” turning up online all over the internet.

The cover has been cut too large for the iPad and sticks out on the side that opens and exposes a mildly sharp uncomfortable edge. This protrusion makes the cover uncomfortable to hold when open or close. This overlap also makes the cover prone to false-opens when closed.

The cover is such a sloppy fit completely unlike the covers for the iPad Air line and as a result feels like a cheap knock off. Apple should make a cover that fits as well as the cover for the iPad Air 2 (which I also have). I own 4 apple notebooks (pros, airs, and new macbook 2015), 4 ipads, and an iPhone 6. I love Apple products and it really troubles me when you release something that is not up to your typical quality standards.

The author of the article on arstechnica.com speculates the smart cover was made this way so that it’s better fit with the optional silicon case but that makes it a bad fit without the case. If that is the case (no pun intended) and this dumbly designed smart cover can’t fit properly, both with and without the case, then you should make two different covers.

Come on Apple... Make a cover that fits right for $50!

iphnhelp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I'll make my own #$*% leather smart cover if I have to, I just need someone to show a tear-down video of the real deal first, haha.
[doublepost=1459533618][/doublepost]
Just found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxury-Fold...pad-air-3-iPad-Pro-9-7-Tablet-PC/381579527462

It's got to come from China so shipping will be slow, and it may be modeled after the real deal meaning it could be ill-fitting like the Apple brand. But it's leather, and much cheaper. I'll let you know how it is in about a month after I receive mine, haha.

I might try this. Ugh...

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
To add some meat to my previous post. You can clearly see the issue even when it isn't face down. It overlaps by too much if you ask me. When you pick it up from the right side (where the flap opens) it "digs" in your palm and moves (if that makes sens). I tried shifting the magnetic part where it snaps to the iPad as further down as possible in order to see if the fit was better, but no luck.

Like I mentioned earlier, not a major issue, but definitely not "Apple" certified in my opinion.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 688
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:

munkydust

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Just put the smart case and silicone back on my ipad. I certainly does give more protection on the edges than my similar setup on my ipad 3. But, it is also a bit harder to open since it fits pretty snugly on the edges.

EDIT: I spent a few more mins with it. It is a lot harder to open. Hopefully my 5-year old won't struggle to much.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's annoying and ugly, but if I'm using my iPad the Cover is either taken off or folded into a triangle behind it. The only time the over flap would be noticed is when it's sitting unused (so I don't care) or when it's being transported in which case it is in a little travel sleeve (so I also don't care).
[doublepost=1459548022][/doublepost]
Thank you guys for the photos that cleared my mind totally.

Do you guys think that they will do another party or stick with it ?

I personally like to use Apple's overpriced accessories because I trust their magnet strength, placement, and fully compatibility. With those new "Smart Connectors" on the left edge, I don't want to risk a third party item having magnets that damage that in some way.

My fears are probably unjustified, but I like OEM.

Reactions: lg251

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Just put the smart case and silicone back on my ipad. I certainly does give more protection on the edges than my similar setup on my ipad 3. But, it is also a bit harder to open since it fits pretty snugly on the edges.

EDIT: I spent a few more mins with it. It is a lot harder to open. Hopefully my 5-year old won't struggle to much.
I find the easiest way to open it is along the long edge. The narrower sides are nearly impossible to grip on my set.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Apple's new plan is that the case be in two pieces. Some just want back protections while other just want to cover the screen. I like it in two pieces as I can remove the front cover when I do not want it and attach before I take out in the field.

How long have you been working for Apple? Just curious. But it seems that Apple's real plan was just to raise prices, because the 2-combo, WITHOUT the leather is about $50 more than what it always was as a full top and bottom case. I have a feeling that Apple realizes that as well.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA

#cantwin

So they created a solution in which the OEM option that more closely matches the $79 leather smartcase, 1-piece set, is now a 2-piece set that is no longer made of leather, and is actually $50 more.....and they did this just to give people MORE options? Yeah that makes sense.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
How long have you been working for Apple? Just curious. But it seems that Apple's real plan was just to raise prices, because the 2-combo, WITHOUT the leather is about $50 more than what it always was as a full top and bottom case. I have a feeling that Apple realizes that as well.

I only own their stock ;) and recognize an improvement when I see it. Having the case in two parts gives the users choice. I consider the silicone to be better than the leather for this use. Apple did this change a while back and you are just now finding out about the improvement. They can not make everyone happy but you have a choice to buy or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.