iPad Pro 9.7" Smart Cover lemon?

PaulSpr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
I received my iPad Pro 9.7" and iPad Pro Smart Cover yesterday, but the Smart Cover quality seems to be way below Apple's usual standards.

On all my previous iPads and Smart Covers, the cover fit perfectly over the front of the iPad. My new cover sticks over the screen about 5 mm. When it's folded back, it also sticks out a bit, which makes it uncomfortable to hold. I can also more easily slide it over the front of the screen. It looks like the "hinge" part is longer than before, causing all these problems.

It looks like this when sticking out.

Did I get a lemon? Or are all the new Smart Covers this way?

PaulSpr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
It's designed that way to fit with the silicone back cover Apple offer.
Isn't that the same with the iPad Air 2? But that Smart Cover fits perfectly over the iPad, both the front and when folded back.

Comment

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
-deleted because no longer relevant-. In response though--yes it sucks and is dumb, and is 50% of the reason I'm not buying a smart cover through Apple. The other 50% is that they don't offer it in leather.

Last edited:
Comment

kdoug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Try searching for your issue in the forums next time, as there are like 10 threads about this already. In response though--yes it sucks and is dumb, and is 50% of the reason I'm not buying a smart cover through Apple. The other 50% is that they don't offer it in leather.
I think he figured it out already. No reason to pile on.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.