Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I m now at 1 crash a day, today when I was in the settings menu.

rexboe

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
mine has done this twice since launch day I was not using youtube just using the
browser

ry-guy

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
North of Sweden
Definitely sounds like RAM. When I had the regular 6plus I would get these springboard crashes all the time. Got the 6s Plus and it doesn't happen. That sounds disappointing since I was interested in this model.

Reactions: Wackery

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I was watching a let's play on youtube in HD and had like 4 tabs open.

Oh, the joys of 2gb of ram...
Yep it's definitely a ram issue. It's not been a problem on the air 2 which also has 2GB ram but now that we know that it was theoretically possible to put 4GB of ram in the new pro it has to be ram.
[doublepost=1460096333][/doublepost]
Definitely sounds like RAM. When I had the regular 6plus I would get these springboard crashes all the time. Got the 6s Plus and it doesn't happen. That sounds disappointing since I was interested in this model.
Yep definitely a ram issue. I mean the 6S plus has the same Ram as the pro 9.7 but it's clearly the ram causing all of this.

Last edited:

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Yep it's defiantly a ram issue. It's not been a problem on the air 2 which also has 2GB ram but now that we know that it was theoretically possible to put 4GB of ram in the new pro it has to be ram.
[doublepost=1460096333][/doublepost]
Yep defiantly a ram issue. I mean the 6S plus has the same Ram as the pro 9.7 but it's clearly the ram causing all of this.
The Apple apologist strikes again. Those are different devices, that have different kinds of ram and architecture

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The Apple apologist strikes again. Those are different devices, that have different kinds of ram and architecture
I think the previous poster's point is if the Air 2 with 2GB RAM running the same iOS version with all the same settings and apps doesn't have this issue when subjected to the same workload, then it's quite likely not the amount of RAM that's the problem.

The 6S Plus isn't a fair comparison as that has lower resolution and doesn't support split screen as far as I'm aware. However, given both Air 2 and Pro 9.7 have same software capabilities (bar support for Pencil and Smart Connector), I think it's a valid comparison to make.

As I don't have an Air 2, I can't really test either way. If it crashes there, too, then the amount of RAM is likely the issue.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So I just spent the last hour using YouTube and safari on my iPad Air and I had no issues. No crashes.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Perhaps this is difficult to believe, but in 4 months since I got my iPad Pro 12.9, no app has ever crashed!

Since YouTube updated their app to support split screen, I've been using it alongside Safari quite often, and no issues.

That's because the big pro has better guts. That's the way it's going to be. I'm sure the smaller pro will be fine for many people but RAM is a key resource and the more, the better. Period. Fact.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I noticed mine was asking for a passcode instead of TouchID for App Store purchases seemingly every time I went to buy something. I assumed it was that bug that happened in the past. But I just returned to my iPad after walking away for a few minutes and saw the Apple logo on the screen as it was rebooting (or respringing)- which made me search for this thread. 9.7" Pro, 128 GB, Space Gray, Cellular. I tried to look at the logs with Xcode but I think what it grabs is too short to tell (or maybe it actually resets the log when the device resprings, based on the time that's possible). I'll have to keep watching.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Time you learn how to argue, because the way you're doing it, missing a point entirely and then insulting in a non sequitur way, is tiresome.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I noticed mine was asking for a passcode instead of TouchID for App Store purchases seemingly every time I went to buy something. I assumed it was that bug that happened in the past. But I just returned to my iPad after walking away for a few minutes and saw the Apple logo on the screen as it was rebooting (or respringing)- which made me search for this thread. 9.7" Pro, 128 GB, Space Gray, Cellular. I tried to look at the logs with Xcode but I think what it grabs is too short to tell (or maybe it actually resets the log when the device resprings, based on the time that's possible). I'll have to keep watching.
I have them 128 gig wifi only, with the regular crashes

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Doesn't really sound like a RAM issue per se to me. With 2 GB of RAM it's pretty hard to get into a situation that, even if iOS sheds literally every user app from memory, there isn't enough left to keep the core OS from dying (which, remember, still at least runs to some extent on 512MB devices). Now, perhaps having even more RAM will mask the issue, but that's not where this would need to be resolved. I mean, hey, put 64 GB in it that way you'll never see a severe malfunction of the OS ;)

I'm going to say it's a bug.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I just crashed again clicking on a Facebook ad, I'm returning my iPad to exchange...

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
My safari is now frozen and completely non-responsive, not even from opening a link, just to switching to incognito mode.

I honestly think I have a lemon or something, it's going in for exchange tomorrow. Apple care+ carries over right?

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I honestly think it's software. I have a 128 gig model, and it's crashed on me maybe 2-3 times. Picked it up launch day. Usually in Safari.

Not too concerned, given I have a year warranty, live 20 minutes from an Apple Store, and I've used it a couple hundred hours with just those few crashes.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
I honestly think it's software. I have a 128 gig model, and it's crashed on me maybe 2-3 times. Picked it up launch day. Usually in Safari.

Not too concerned, given I have a year warranty, live 20 minutes from an Apple Store, and I've used it a couple hundred hours with just those few crashes.
I'm a little bit concerned tho, I've had more crashes with my iPad Pro than I've had with any iOS device combined since the iPod nano.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Hmm, now I'm a little concerned. Mine restarted overnight, and now can't seem to check for a software update.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I just got mine on Friday havent had a chance to open it yet..got it at best buy, will have to play around with it to see if there is any issues if there is I will take it to the apple store and get another one, this is nuts that this is happening to some people I hope its just some weird software thing and not something more serious

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I went a week without a springboard crash and had 2 in the last 24 hours. I just installed 9.3.2 beta to see if that helps. It's not a full crash just the 2-3 second springboard crash so it's clearly a software issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.