iPad Pro and printing - not sure which forum...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ssledoux, May 18, 2016.

1. ssledoux macrumors 6502

ssledoux

I don't know if this is in the correct forum, but I'm wanting to know if there is any way you can connect an iPad via USB to a printer and print. Are there any options at all for printing other than wireless?

2. Osty macrumors 6502a

No, it's not currently possible and I doubt it will be anytime soon unless you jailbreak. The Airprint protocol is the only option. That means buying an Airprint-compatible printer or using a print server with Airprint support. I use the latter, with a Raspberry Pi 2 running Ubuntu Linux acting as a print server. Before I did this, I created a workaround by saving what I wanted to print to a dropbox folder, which my Mac Mini watched and then immediately piped the document to my printer.

3. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Assuming you have the printer connected to another mac you can install handyprint (previously called AirPrint Activator). Your computer acts as a bridge between your iOS device and printer. This allows you to AirPrint on Non-Airprint printers. Click here to go to the netputing page to find the latest version.

4. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

I have an AirPrint printer, but am trying to go to unlimited data with AT&T since we have no other internet options (other than satellite, which is limited, expensive, and sucks), and I can't use my phone as a hotspot or use a hotspot with that data plan.

I do have a Mac I can print from, but I have been considering selling it since I got my pro (I basically just use it for storage). Thing is, if I go to unlimited data, I can't use my computer for anything much anyway since I won't have a way to connect to the Internet. If I go to unlimited data I can't print from my iPad. If I don't go to unlimited data I still have LIMITED DATA!!!

Living in the boonies really sucks sometimes. (Cue mad face)

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I thought you can print to an AirPrint printer from an iPad without going through a computer. They just have to be on the same wifi network. You should be able to create a wifi network without Internet, though I'm not sure on exactly what steps/equipments you need.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

AirPrint does not require the printer and iPad to be on the same wifi network. Part of the standard is that the printer can work as a stand alone device.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, they do need to be on the same wifi network. But it doesn't need a computer on the network.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You can certainly have a wifi network without connecting it to the internet. You don't need a hotspot, since the purpose of a hotspot is internet connectivity. You can probably get a used, garden-variety wifi router very cheaply/free.

9. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

So
    me Air Print printers will let you create an ad hoc network from the printer. I did this back in the day with my old HP printer in my studio as the campus network wouldn't let me add a printer. No internet connection or computer required.

10. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Thanks for the replies, but here's the issue; I HAVE to use my phone as a hotspot because we have NO internet at all. My only access is data with AT&T.

My issue is that I'm trying to go to unlimited data, and, if I do, I can no longer use my phone as a hotspot (the unlimited data doesn't allow you to use a hotspot). If I can no longer use my phone as a hotspot, I cannot connect to anything wifi to use the wireless printer.

I can print from my Mac directly to the printer because I can put a printer cable, but I still wouldn't be able to access or print anything from the internet because I'd not be able to connect to wifi via my hotspot if I go to unlimited data.

Living in the boonies sucks because we can't get any decent internet!!

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What we've been saying is that connecting to your printer over wifi has nothing to do with hotspots or the Internet.

You need to buy a wifi router. The router creates a wifi network that you can use to connect your printer with your iPad. AGAIN, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INTERNET OR HOTSPOTS. Wifi just connects devices within the wifi range. The wifi can also be connected to Internet, which gives devices access to the Internet, but it doesn't have to have Internet in order for the devices to talk to each other.

So your problem with printing can be solved by buying a wifi router. It seems to me that your main problem would be how to access the Internet from your iPad so you'd have anything to print -- am I right? But that's a completely separate issue from printing, and I think you are confusing everyone by thinking of it as one issue.

12. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Ok I'm sorry! I had no idea that I could use a wifi router to make wifi happen between my pad and printer with no type of Internet connection.

But what you are telling me is, I can have a wifi router and my iPad can communicate with my printer with ZERO use of the Internet? Just any type of wifi router?

My iPad does have LTE, so I do have access to the Internet, but mostly what I would print is stuff I type on my pad anyway - not stuff from the Internet.

I'm really technologically challenged because I had NO clue this was possible. I have always thought routers were to disperse internet signal. Sorry I've been so difficult. I thought y'all weren't understanding me, and here I was the clueless one all along. :/

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly, and yes, any wifi router should work, though I recommend Apple's Airport Express. It's very easy to setup, and you can use the Airport Utility app to set it up from your iPad.
    https://appsto.re/us/YJ7Dz.i

And I completely understand how this can be confusing if you've never worked with a wifi router before, and I'm glad we were able to clear things up.

14. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Well I used to have a router when we had satellite internet, but I really only thought it was to connect the Internet to and then send the Internet signal throughout the house; I really had no clue you could just link up wifi enabled electronics. I'm stunned and thrilled all at the same time! ;-p

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So your satellite connection never blinked out? I have a cable Internet, and it goes out all the time, so we lose the Internet, but all the devices in our house keep merrily talking to each other.

16. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Well at the time, I don't think I really had anything that would have been connected. I've never set up anything on a wifi router other than the damn internet - just had no clue it could be done. I'm more challenged than I even realized.

17. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Yes, you can "just link up wifi enabled electronics" as you put. A cool feature that might interest you is storing a bunch of movies on your iMac hard drive (ripping them from DVDs you own legally of course using free software like Handbrake), and streaming your entire movie collection onto your iPad anywhere in your house over wifi, no internet required! You can be in your bedroom watching your favorite TV show on your iPad, streaming from your iMac without any internet at all! I use a neat app called Infuse on the iPad to stream movies from my Mac, many other people use software called Plex.

18. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

So when I'm using the wifi, it isn't affecting my data at all? How is that even possible? I'm so damn confused about how all this works.

19. Night Spring, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Wifi is just short range radio signals. A wifi router broadcasts radio signals that wifi enabled devices can pick up. The wifi devices can also produce signals that the router can pick up, and send, or "route" to other devices, hence the name "router." When the wifi router is connected to the Internet, then one of the signals it receives and passes on is Internet data. But when there is no Internet, the router just passes signals to and from local devices. No data required.

BTW, you said something about not being able to connect your Mac to the Internet if you switch to unlimited data -- why not? How is your Mac currently connected to the Internet?

20. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Imagine you're in an isolated town in the desert. The town is at the end of a highway that connects the town to the outside world. Just outside of town, that highway crosses a bridge over a deep canyon. There are also local streets in the town. The local streets and the highway all meet in a traffic circle/roundabout in the center of town.

The WiFi router is the traffic circle. Your Internet connection is the highway that connects the town to the outside world. What happens if that bridge falls into the canyon? Well, everyone in town can still drive around town, but they can't leave town.

21. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

So much incorrect information in this thread.

You do NOT need a wireless router, or a computer, or the internet to print to an AirPrint printer from your phone.

You simply turn on wifi on the phone, find the printer's name in the list of networks, connect (there's a process to enter the password the first time), and that's it.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My understanding was that not all AirPrint printers do this. Some do, but others need wifi routers. But that was going to be my next question once OP felt comfortable with the idea that wifi and Internet data aren't the same thing.

23. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Ok, that may be true. I'm using the Canon iP110, which does allow direct connection. Works very well.

24. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Wow. I ordered Airport Express last night and I might not even NEED it? Haha - oh well it was only $50 for the refurb.

I do have an AirPrint enabled Epson printer that I just purchased. My HP might have done it, but it was giving me fits.

So I put my wifi on on my iPad or phone and then do wifi setup on the printer and see if the printer finds my pad?

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Could you post the model number of your printer?

And if your printer does have wifi network capability, then what you do is find the printer from your iOS device. You go to Settings > wifi, and turn wifi on, and see if your printer shows up as a wifi network.