Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Pro clicking noise - which model do you have?

• Total voters

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
That's kind of what I was hoping. Mine's a bit louder and you can hear it when you press on the glass around and under the camera, but I can't think of a good reason to press that spot, other than to check to see if the noise is there. It is sort of a popping noise and is loudest under the camera It doesn't make any noise when tapping.

I'm inclined to keep it, use it as it's meant to be used, and deal with exchanging it through the warranty if it becomes an actual day-to-day issue. Assuming that it doesn't become a bigger issue, I'll probably forget about it, unless I happen to come across this thread.

I wish that I never saw this thread. If i hadn't, I'd be blissfully unaware that this existed and would still believe that I'd gotten a perfect one. I'm still curious as to what's causing it and if it is something that will become a problem.

Reactions: Maanschijn

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I had this issue on my gen one wifi 12.9 SG 256 GB but got it replaced. This was early 2016. I'm surprised they're still having this issue a year and a half later.

Reactions: missyagogo

Ebuccube

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2017
That's kind of what I was hoping. Mine's a bit louder and you can hear it when you press on the glass around and under the camera, but I can't think of a good reason to press that spot, other than to check to see if the noise is there. It is sort of a popping noise and is loudest under the camera It doesn't make any noise when tapping.

I'm inclined to keep it, use it as it's meant to be used, and deal with exchanging it through the warranty if it becomes an actual day-to-day issue. Assuming that it doesn't become a bigger issue, I'll probably forget about it, unless I happen to come across this thread.

I wish that I never saw this thread. If i hadn't, I'd be blissfully unaware that this existed and would still believe that I'd gotten a perfect one. I'm still curious as to what's causing it and if it is something that will become a problem.

My friends too
After my pressing test on their iPads they noticed this thing.
IMO it's not a problem, I've tested 4 iPads and they all have the same clicking sound in the same aerea!
It's just how they made them, if will become a problem we have 2 years to get assistance.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
My friends too
After my pressing test on their iPads they noticed this thing.
IMO it's not a problem, I've tested 4 iPads and they all have the same clicking sound in the same aerea!
It's just how they made them, if will become a problem we have 2 years to get assistance.
Yea. I just think that mine's got it worse, making popping noises all around the camera and onto the screen. But it's only if I actually press it and try to make the sound, so I don't see it as an issue. If it made they noise every time I touched the area or swiped by it, it'd be another story.
I just have one year, because I usually don't get AppleCare for the devices I buy. I've never needed it once, as they all seem to last forever. I still have my iPad 3 kicking around somewhere. It's slow as hell and the screen looks as bad as it always did, but it works and still takes and holds a good charge.

Maybe I'll pick it up for this one, though.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
My 10.5 WiFi 256gb makes the sound that comes and goes. Seems dependent on the temperature and which case I have on it. I’ll probably take it in at some point to get replaced, but everything else on it is perfect and I can live with it for now. Also I installed iOS 11 beta which complicates things.

Ebuccube

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2017
Yea. I just think that mine's got it worse, making popping noises all around the camera and onto the screen. But it's only if I actually press it and try to make the sound, so I don't see it as an issue. If it made they noise every time I touched the area or swiped by it, it'd be another story.
I just have one year, because I usually don't get AppleCare for the devices I buy. I've never needed it once, as they all seem to last forever. I still have my iPad 3 kicking around somewhere. It's slow as hell and the screen looks as bad as it always did, but it works and still takes and holds a good charge.

Maybe I'll pick it up for this one, though.

Only one year? Here in Italy everything have 2 years warranty including all apple devices.
I've made AppleCare+ for accidentally damages.
In one year from now if you call AppleCare they send you back a new one iPad or a refurbished one, so keep it for now
Btw I have too press just around the camera between the white frame and the screen glass intentionally so as you said it's not an issue at all.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Only one year? Here in Italy everything have 2 years warranty including all apple devices.
I've made AppleCare+ for accidentally damages.
In one year from now if you call AppleCare they send you back a new one iPad or a refurbished one, so keep it for now
Btw I have too press just around the camera between the white frame and the screen glass intentionally so as you said it's not an issue at all.
Yea. In the states, we get one year, and only get two years if we purchase AppleCare. I just looked at an iFixIt teardown, to see if I could figure out what would make the noise. It didn't reveal much.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
Uh oh. I have it as well around the front iSight camera. I just got my 2017 SG 256 GB wifi iPad Pro yesterday and heard a click when I picked it up in my hands. There seems to be some excessive play behind the screen and perhaps the battery. I hate to swap it out as mine is otherwise perfect.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Uh oh. I have it as well around the front iSight camera. I just got my 2017 SG 256 GB wifi iPad Pro yesterday and heard a click when I picked it up in my hands. There seems to be some excessive play behind the screen and perhaps the battery. I hate to swap it out as mine is otherwise perfect.
10.5" or 12.9"?

That was my speculation as well. I only hear the noise when releasing the pressure, not when applying the pressure. I'm thinking that the pressure is depressing something on the inside and releasing the pressure is letting it go back to its normal position and that's making a noise. In the attached file, I've circled the area in which I hear the noise. There really isn't a heck of a lot there. I don't know how the screen is put together, so I can't tell if it is some sort of screen noise, but it sounds like it is coming from behind the screen.

iPadPro12.9.png

Reactions: dsc888

Ebuccube

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2017
10.5" or 12.9"?

That was my speculation as well. I only hear the noise when releasing the pressure, not when applying the pressure. I'm thinking that the pressure is depressing something on the inside and releasing the pressure is letting it go back to its normal position and that's making a noise. In the attached file, I've circled the area in which I hear the noise. There really isn't a heck of a lot there. I don't know how the screen is put together, so I can't tell if it is some sort of screen noise, but it sounds like it is coming from behind the screen.

View attachment 712525

This!
That was one of my idea that the part around face camera have an extra empty space and when we press the glass screen flexs a little bit and makes that noise.
Btw I put on the screen a glass tempered screen protector and the clicking sound almost disappearead.

Last edited:

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
10.5" or 12.9"?

View attachment 712525

I got the 12.9 inch model. Yes. It's more so when I apply pressure. It started after I picked it up with my left hand only in landscape with my band near the camera. The glass is flexing a tiny bit under my thumb. At first I also thought that it was the aluminum chassis flexing also.
[doublepost=1502465579][/doublepost]
This!
That was one of my idea that the part around face camera have an extra empty space and when we press the glass screen flexs a little bit and makes that noise.
Btw I put on the screen a glass tempered screen protector and the clicking sound is alomost disappearead.

That makes so sense. It really feels like the glass is too thin and have a little too much give. I can actually get a smaller click to occur if I press the glass downwards about an inch above the home button also. So that definitely feels like there's excessive play or the adhesive that holds the screen onto the aluminum chassis is not sufficient.

UPDATE:
I let the my 12.9 IPP charge up last night and I picked it up this morning and it indeed still makes the noise but a bit less as it was cool to the touch. BUT now, even lightly tapping on the screen on the right near the Home button will case a click on the left near the front camera. So something has "come loose" of sorts. It's going back for an exchange. I just picked it up yesterday so that should be OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ebuccube

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I have until Wednesday to make the decision on whether I keep this thing and just wait and see. After that, I cannot return it. I am not jumping on the return cycle like I've done in the past with Apple devices. If I bring it back, then I'm skipping the iPad Pro and just sticking with my still fully functional iPad Air 2. That's the only iDevice that I haven't had to exchange at least once. It does suffer from some minor screen uniformity issues, but the thing is built like a tank. I guess that maybe these things suffer from just how thin they are, yet how large they are. I did take a magnifying glass and watch the edges of the glass where it is connected to the body. I didn't see any movement of the glass against the edges when pressing in "the spot".

I think that if I had a case where it made noise with regular use, i.e. tapping the screen, then I would definitely bring it back. So far, mine only seems to make noise when I go out of my way to press on the screen in that location by the front camera. I haven't noticed any issues with it making noises by just tapping the screen, so far.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
I have until Wednesday to make the decision on whether I keep this thing and just wait and see. After that, I cannot return it. I am not jumping on the return cycle like I've done in the past with Apple devices. If I bring it back, then I'm skipping the iPad Pro and just sticking with my still fully functional iPad Air 2. That's the only iDevice that I haven't had to exchange at least once. It does suffer from some minor screen uniformity issues, but the thing is built like a tank. I guess that maybe these things suffer from just how thin they are, yet how large they are. I did take a magnifying glass and watch the edges of the glass where it is connected to the body. I didn't see any movement of the glass against the edges when pressing in "the spot".

I think that if I had a case where it made noise with regular use, i.e. tapping the screen, then I would definitely bring it back. So far, mine only seems to make noise when I go out of my way to press on the screen in that location by the front camera. I haven't noticed any issues with it making noises by just tapping the screen, so far.

I hear you! I hate doing these exchanges but it's not right that they come out for he box making such noises. I too have an iPad Air2 and it's been solid for the last 3 years. I can't stand screen issues as well and that's why I am hesitant to make the exchange because it's a uniform screen, probably the best I've seen on an iPad to date. And I got way back o the very first one! But the fact that mine will click when I gently tap on the glass on the right near the home button made my decision.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I hear you! I hate doing these exchanges but it's not right that they come out for he box making such noises. I too have an iPad Air2 and it's been solid for the last 3 years. I can't stand screen issues as well and that's why I am hesitant to make the exchange because it's a uniform screen, probably the best I've seen on an iPad to date. And I got way back o the very first one! But the fact that mine will click when I gently tap on the glass on the right near the home button made my decision.
Same exact situation here! I've never seen such a good screen on an iPad. My wife has one and while it's not bad, I can see flaws in screen lighting uniformity. that and the right side has a slight reddish tint to it. I can literally find no flaw in mine. But I do understand about having a problem with noises. It doesn't feel like a premium product that you spent around $1000 for when it makes noises that it shouldn't while using it. It makes it feel like a <$200 android tab.

I was considering returning this and trying again with a 10.5 screen. It's still bigger than my iPad Air 2. But it seems like some with 10.5 screens are also finding this to be an issue.

If I do decide to keep it, I'll do what was suggested above, and get a good glass screen protector. That should take some flex out of the screen, and might eliminate the problem. I'll also stop pressing in that area and try to forget about it. :).

Last edited:

Ebuccube

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2017
I got the 12.9 inch model. Yes. It's more so when I apply pressure. It started after I picked it up with my left hand only in landscape with my band near the camera. The glass is flexing a tiny bit under my thumb. At first I also thought that it was the aluminum chassis flexing also.
[doublepost=1502465579][/doublepost]

That makes so sense. It really feels like the glass is too thin and have a little too much give. I can actually get a smaller click to occur if I press the glass downwards about an inch above the home button also. So that definitely feels like there's excessive play or the adhesive that holds the screen onto the aluminum chassis is not sufficient.

UPDATE:
I let the my 12.9 IPP charge up last night and I picked it up this morning and it indeed still makes the noise but a bit less as it was cool to the touch. BUT now, even lightly tapping on the screen on the right near the Home button will case a click on the left near the front camera. So something has "come loose" of sorts. It's going back for an exchange. I just picked it up yesterday so that should be OK.

This is my second iPad Pro 10.5, the first one had this "clicking sound" and the " doesn't wake up" issues, the new one have both this issues again
So for now I keep this new one.
[doublepost=1502492886][/doublepost]
If I do decide to keep it, I'll do what was suggested above, and get a good glass screen protector. That should take some flex out of the screen, and might eliminate the problem. I'll also stop pressing in that area and try to forget about it. :).

On amazon there are good tempered screen glass protector at 9.99$ and they give you 2 pieces.
Today I put it on my iPad and they have an amazing quality and the clicking sound almost disappeared.

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Had the same issues on my ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen.
The noise came from under the front camera and sometimes above the home button.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
Had the same issues on my ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen.
The noise came from under the front camera and sometimes above the home button.

I just came back from the Apple store tonight and swapped out my original noisy 2017 12.9 iPad Pro. And this one doesn't click at all so far. The screen is identical to the first unit so at least I didn't sacrifice any quality. As an aside, I also had a sticky home button on the first unit so I essentially killed two birds with one stone. My guess is that some of the screens are out of spec and therefore allows for flexing then designed. It's just a guess. I will report back once I've had this replacement unit for a couple of days.
[doublepost=1502512967][/doublepost]
Same exact situation here! I've never seen such a good screen on an iPad. My wife has one and while it's not bad, I can see flaws in screen lighting uniformity. that and the right side has a slight reddish tint to it. I can literally find no flaw in mine. But I do understand about having a problem with noises. It doesn't feel like a premium product that you spent around $1000 for when it makes noises that it shouldn't while using it. It makes it feel like a <$200 android tab.

I was considering returning this and trying again with a 10.5 screen. It's still bigger than my iPad Air 2. But it seems like some with 10.5 screens are also finding this to be an issue.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I also have some reddish tint on the right side of my screen towards the home button if I hold my iPad in landscape orientation. It also appears that the right side of the screen it's just ever so slightly dimmer versus the left when held in landscape. My feeling is that these tablets are lit from the top and the light travels down to the bottom via a diffuser so that the user has the best experience if he holds it with the home button at the bottom in portrait orientation. But when you turn it 90°, the lighting is definitely stronger coming from the side with the front facing camera. Again, I'm just making a wild guess here. Every single iPad Pro that I've seen at the Apple store or at Best Buy has the exact same characteristic of having a warmer tent towards the home button and being a little bit dimmer as well on that side.

Last edited:

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
This is my second iPad Pro 10.5, the first one had this "clicking sound" and the " doesn't wake up" issues, the new one have both this issues again
So for now I keep this new one.
[doublepost=1502492886][/doublepost]

On amazon there are good tempered screen glass protector at 9.99$ and they give you 2 pieces.
Today I put it on my iPad and they have an amazing quality and the clicking sound almost disappeared.
How difficult is it to put one on and have no bubbles or dust. I have always sucked at screen protectors. That's why I seldom use them.

Erlendks

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
My replacement 12.9 also has this. Decided to keep it, but yesterday I used the pencil for a while and now it seems worse. Took Apple two months to replace my first iPad because of this, so I really don’t want to send it back in.

Ebuccube

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2017
How difficult is it to put one on and have no bubbles or dust. I have always sucked at screen protectors. That's why I seldom use them.

One of the most important thing is to stay in a room with door and windows closed and be fast as you can from the moment you peel off the plastic from the tempered glass.
Bubbles are almost impossible with screen glass, put it from the bottom ( home button ) to the top and never do the stupid thing that they recommended of pressing the center of the screen because in that case you'll have bubbles.

Last edited:
Reactions: usmaak

efi123

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I have a similar problem on my 10.5” 64gb wifi model (white).
However I only notice it when I reach to lift it single-handedly and it does not always click... I think it actually bends upon lifting, that thing is so thin! I have yet to discover if it depends on where I hold it while lifting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.