Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zephyrus87

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2017
I have as well this issue with my 10.5 pro. A slight clicking noise when I tap the upper part of the screen, audible only in a silent room.

I called Apple support and we agree that the best way to proceed was to visit a Store (I need my iPad for work so I nwant an istant replacement), even if is more than one hour of car from my house.
Before going to the appointment I recorded few videos of the issue.

The Genious I have spoken with was very unpolite, I explained the situation and she tapped few times on my device screen in a crowded room filled with 100 + people, after that she try to send me away sustaining that what I was hearing was the clicking of system sounds.
I gently ask her to bring the device to a more quiet room and to check my videos, I had to insist for few minutes then she went off with some other people from the staff.
After 20 minutes they came back saying they understand the problem and they go away again to grab a replacement.
Few minutes later they are back saying they cannot proceed because my device wasnt activated, I reply that it was and I also successfully added Apple Care + few days before.
They made me call Apple Support from the store, they confirmed the device was correctly activated and after speaking with the Store staff they told me that the best way to proceed was a free express replacement.
I had to agreed, and also got a mail contact from the Apple support telling me they will have called me on Monday for organizing the replacement.

Monday morning I received the call and they asked me the address for sending the new iPad.
Before finishing the call I have been told that they have to call me back in few minutes because they have an issues with the transport and the system are not letting them to finish the request.
After a couple of hours they called again telling they have a problem with their servers.
For two days they keep finding excuses, until today when they told me that they have no ETA for their issues and to call them back in few weeks.

I am giving up and keeping my iPad for now, but this experience was a terrible display of costumer service.

My guess is that, since this is a new product, they have no refurbished devices and they are trying not to giving new ones for light issues like this one.

(sorry for my poor English, is not my main language)

Last edited:

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
I think there is already a lawsuit or something about Apple replacing defective brand new products with refurbished ones.

Erlendks

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
Got my replacement today. Took long enough...

The replacement also got this, but it's definetly better. I can sometimes get the sound if I try, but don't think I have noticed it during normal usage so far. I might in the future I guess. Anyone else who has gotten a replacement for this? Is your replacement 100%? Maybe most 12.9" iPads got this if you know how to look?

BlackEyedNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
I have my 10.5 for two weeks now and it’s way worse than it was in the beginning (larger area and louder sound). I’ll ask for a replacement in another two weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.