iPad Pro Dropped and ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maxsix, Nov 14, 2015.

1. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

At Starbucks today with a colleague, working on our new MacBooks. A guy and his friend come in, both with iPad Pro's.

They sit down put the iPads on the table in a slanted vertical position. They looked huge.

Moments later my peripheral vision sees one tumble off the table onto the _carpeted_ floor, a sickening sound of aluminum and glass breaking up.

What a terrible accident, less than a four ft drop onto a high grade padded carpet, smashed the entire display.

It's very fragile.

I've had my iPad Air 2 knocked off the table in that same Starbucks by a careless guy turning around with his laptop case sticking out. Not a mark on my iPad.

Oh well...

2. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Can't really draw any conclusion with one incident if its any more fragile or not. Too many factors in the fall itself.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Hopefully he had AppleCare+. There are a lot of variables. I dropped my iPad mini more times than I cared to admit onto a hardwood floor without a scratch. Then one time it bounced off a wall while I was unplugging it and the screen shattered.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

It's not necessarily that it's fragile, maybe he just was very unlucky. It's a bit sad though.

5. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

That flimsy keyboard cover is an accident waiting to happen. iPP should've had a stable kickstand like the Surface Pro 3 or 4.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Be a while before they show off their new apple gear in a Starbucks again .

Given its size , I can see the pro being more prone to damage when dropped, the screen that is

8. daveak, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

daveak macrumors regular

Mine has taken a 2 1/2' drop off onto a carpeted floor. No damage, otherwise you might have heard my scream, no matter where you are. That guy was unlucky, the same way you, and I were lucky.

9. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Thin glass covering a wider surface area is probably going to be more shatter-prone than a smaller, lighter tablet. But I still don't think that's any reason to be extremely worried.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Heavier weight of the iPP automatically means a greater impact force when dropped. I don't think it is more fragile.

11. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

12. Not-A-Fan macrumors newbie

As much as I think the Maxipad is a stupid device, a drop of a single device is nothing but anecdotal.

I dropped my iPhone 5 a hundred times without anything happening, on concrete ground, all is well.
    A friend of mine dropped his once, shattered screen.

13. draughn101 macrumors regular

There's videos on YouTube of drop tests on concrete and it doesn't look very fragile. Dropped in from 3 feet twice and it didn't crack the screen, just a dent.

14. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Some poor starbuck-s customer just spent a grand....replacing what they broke.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

... the screen cracked allowing a family of unicorns to escape.

17. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Meh. It's a large piece of glass. It's obvious that it has higher risk of damage when dropped.

18. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I can't say I'm shocked it broke. It's a huge piece of glass and that could be why an oow replacement is $600.

19. mkitchen macrumors member

I didn't buy Apple Care so this is really selling me on it. I've actually never bought apple care and never wished I have over the span of owning 5 different iPhones, 2 iMacs, 3 iPads, and 4 MacBooks. But for $99, it probably is a good buy... Just after buying the 128gb Pro, a keyboard cover, pencil, and back case, I had to draw the line somewhere. I would hate to bump that line to 1500... But I guess peace of mind might be worth it in this case.

20. jpkinfla macrumors member

jpkinfla

I find that dropping an iPad or iPhone doesn't mean it will break, it depends on how it lands... it can land that certain special way, and that will make it break. And its always horrifying to see it break, no matter what kind of device it is.. iPad or any other electronic device... insurance, or not... :p

21. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Peace of mind + $49 repair cost (2 accidents) + Express Replacement = a good thing for this clumsy, stressed person

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

23. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

It's the place of impact that causes all the damage not necessarily the weakness of the item.
    My daughter broke her brand new iPhone 6s+ when she dropped it on a tough mat at a library and shattered the whole screen. Yet I've dropped my phone several times and not a scratch.
    Her phone and his iPad must have hit right in the weakest spot. Probably at an angle right in the corner taking all the brut force. It happens.

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I am going to play devils advocate and call shenanigans on your story. I will point a few details as to why I think it's bogus.

1 - Your start of your post with "At Starbucks today with a colleague, working on our new MacBooks." - what does that have to do with anything?

2 - I have been to over 50 Starbucks in my life. Not one of them has ever had carpet. Ever. For a place that serves beverages and food that are prone to spilling, dropping and the like, carpet is the LAST thing you want for a floor. They are always wood/tile.

3 - "sickening sound of aluminum and glass breaking" - Aluminum doesn't "break". unless a decent amount of force is applied. That wouldn't come from a drop.

The IPP is not easy to break and is pretty sturdy. The larger glass surfaces allows it to absorb impact much better since it flexes a bit more. Watch the videos below that pretty much show the exact OPPOSITE of what you're saying here.

25. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Yeah, I was going to point out the same thing; not only have I personally never seen one with carpet, they certainly don't have "high grade padded carpet", as padding would absorb spilled liquids and become musty/moldy in a fairly short amount of time. If they had carpet at all, it would be industrial carpeting that's easy to clean and laid down over sealed concrete so liquids can't absorb and start to stink the place up.

EDIT: omg that second drop video is making me cringe like crazy. lol