iPad Pro Dropped and ...

maxsix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
At Starbucks today with a colleague, working on our new MacBooks. A guy and his friend come in, both with iPad Pro's.

They sit down put the iPads on the table in a slanted vertical position. They looked huge.

Moments later my peripheral vision sees one tumble off the table onto the _carpeted_ floor, a sickening sound of aluminum and glass breaking up.

What a terrible accident, less than a four ft drop onto a high grade padded carpet, smashed the entire display.

It's very fragile.

I've had my iPad Air 2 knocked off the table in that same Starbucks by a careless guy turning around with his laptop case sticking out. Not a mark on my iPad.

Oh well...

KPOM

macrumors Pentium
Oct 23, 2010
Hopefully he had AppleCare+. There are a lot of variables. I dropped my iPad mini more times than I cared to admit onto a hardwood floor without a scratch. Then one time it bounced off a wall while I was unplugging it and the screen shattered.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Be a while before they show off their new apple gear in a Starbucks again .

Given its size , I can see the pro being more prone to damage when dropped, the screen that is

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Thin glass covering a wider surface area is probably going to be more shatter-prone than a smaller, lighter tablet. But I still don't think that's any reason to be extremely worried.

Reactions: ant69

Not-A-Fan

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
Europe
As much as I think the Maxipad is a stupid device, a drop of a single device is nothing but anecdotal.

I dropped my iPhone 5 a hundred times without anything happening, on concrete ground, all is well.
A friend of mine dropped his once, shattered screen.

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
There's videos on YouTube of drop tests on concrete and it doesn't look very fragile. Dropped in from 3 feet twice and it didn't crack the screen, just a dent.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
At Starbucks today with a colleague, working on our new MacBooks. A guy and his friend come in, both with iPad Pro's.

They sit down put the iPads on the table in a slanted vertical position. They looked huge.

Moments later my peripheral vision sees one tumble off the table onto the _carpeted_ floor, a sickening sound of aluminum and glass breaking up.

What a terrible accident, less than a four ft drop onto a high grade padded carpet, smashed the entire display.

It's very fragile.

I've had my iPad Air 2 knocked off the table in that same Starbucks by a careless guy turning around with his laptop case sticking out. Not a mark on my iPad.

Oh well...
Some poor starbuck-s customer just spent a grand....replacing what they broke.

Reactions: sracer

mkitchen

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I didn't buy Apple Care so this is really selling me on it. I've actually never bought apple care and never wished I have over the span of owning 5 different iPhones, 2 iMacs, 3 iPads, and 4 MacBooks. But for $99, it probably is a good buy... Just after buying the 128gb Pro, a keyboard cover, pencil, and back case, I had to draw the line somewhere. I would hate to bump that line to 1500... But I guess peace of mind might be worth it in this case.

Reactions: jazz1 and artfossil

jpkinfla

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I find that dropping an iPad or iPhone doesn't mean it will break, it depends on how it lands... it can land that certain special way, and that will make it break. And its always horrifying to see it break, no matter what kind of device it is.. iPad or any other electronic device... insurance, or not... :p

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I didn't buy Apple Care so this is really selling me on it. I've actually never bought apple care and never wished I have over the span of owning 5 different iPhones, 2 iMacs, 3 iPads, and 4 MacBooks. But for $99, it probably is a good buy... Just after buying the 128gb Pro, a keyboard cover, pencil, and back case, I had to draw the line somewhere. I would hate to bump that line to 1500... But I guess peace of mind might be worth it in this case.
Peace of mind + $49 repair cost (2 accidents) + Express Replacement = a good thing for this clumsy, stressed person

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
It's the place of impact that causes all the damage not necessarily the weakness of the item.
My daughter broke her brand new iPhone 6s+ when she dropped it on a tough mat at a library and shattered the whole screen. Yet I've dropped my phone several times and not a scratch.
Her phone and his iPad must have hit right in the weakest spot. Probably at an angle right in the corner taking all the brut force. It happens.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008

It's very fragile.

Oh well...
I am going to play devils advocate and call shenanigans on your story. I will point a few details as to why I think it's bogus.

1 - Your start of your post with "At Starbucks today with a colleague, working on our new MacBooks." - what does that have to do with anything?

2 - I have been to over 50 Starbucks in my life. Not one of them has ever had carpet. Ever. For a place that serves beverages and food that are prone to spilling, dropping and the like, carpet is the LAST thing you want for a floor. They are always wood/tile.

3 - "sickening sound of aluminum and glass breaking" - Aluminum doesn't "break". unless a decent amount of force is applied. That wouldn't come from a drop.

The IPP is not easy to break and is pretty sturdy. The larger glass surfaces allows it to absorb impact much better since it flexes a bit more. Watch the videos below that pretty much show the exact OPPOSITE of what you're saying here.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
2 - I have been to over 50 Starbucks in my life. Not one of them has ever had carpet. Ever. For a place that serves beverages and food that are prone to spilling, dropping and the like, carpet is the LAST thing you want for a floor. They are always wood/tile.
Yeah, I was going to point out the same thing; not only have I personally never seen one with carpet, they certainly don't have "high grade padded carpet", as padding would absorb spilled liquids and become musty/moldy in a fairly short amount of time. If they had carpet at all, it would be industrial carpeting that's easy to clean and laid down over sealed concrete so liquids can't absorb and start to stink the place up.

EDIT: omg that second drop video is making me cringe like crazy. lol