Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Images of what appear to be a mockup version of the upcoming larger-screened "iPad Pro" depict either a secondary Lightning port or a USB-C port on one side of the device, suggesting it could potentially have multiple methods of charging and/or the ability to support accessories like keyboards and mice. The pictures, which show the mystery port, a headphone jack/speakers, and the camera, originated on microblogging site Sina Weibo and were shared by Italian site HDBlog.

Case manufacturers and other accessory makers often create dummy models of upcoming Apple devices to get an early start on the development process, and the tablet pictured in the photos is likely one of these mockups. Most of these models are based on rumors and leaked schematics, and while they're frequently accurate, there have been errors in dummy models for past devices.

ipadprodummy1.jpg
The port on the left side of the device in the images does line up with a previously leaked iPad Pro case that had an opening on the left side believed to be for a SIM card tray, but the presence of a side port was not seen in schematics shared by Japanese magazine Mac Fan last November. Those schematics may have been inaccurate or out of date, as rumors have suggested Apple is still working on ironing out the tablet's features ahead of its release.

Given the design similarities between a Lightning port and a USB-C port, it is not entirely clear what function the extra port serves, but a recent rumor from The Wall Street Journal pointed towards the the possible inclusion of USB 3.0 ports on the iPad Pro, potentially allowing the device to connect to a keyboard or mouse.

Aside from the Lightning port, the other images shared on Weibo show a rear camera with light sensor and microphone, and a headphone jack adjacent to a row of speakers. Rumors have suggested the iPad Pro will have speakers and microphones at the top and bottom edges of the device for a stereo audio experience.

ipadprodummy2.jpg
Aside from its larger size and tweaked design elements to accommodate new features, the iPad Pro is said to look similar to the existing iPad Air and iPad mini. It's rumored to have a high-resolution display between 12.2 and 12.9 inches, an A8X processor, 2GB RAM, and Touch ID. It may also support an optional stylus accessory.

Apple may be targeting a September 2015 production timeline for the tablet, so it may come alongside new iPad Air and iPad mini models this fall.

Update: We've received word that these images were originally shared by Dutch site vandaagapple.nl [Google Translate] in February.

Article Link: iPad Pro Dummy Points Towards Dual Lightning Ports or USB-C Port

bobbykjack

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
London
I can't imagine this would really be intended for keyboards/mice. Apple is obsessed with wireless input devices, even on full desktop machines.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
A second lightning port for landscape orientation docking in a desk dock?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Some of the early iPad prototypes had 2 dock connectors. This wouldn't be entirely unprecedented.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
If it's coming out that late in the year, I wonder why it's rumored to have an A8X processor. Surely the A9/A9X would be in full production by then in time for the iPhone 6s.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Let me dock it for full Mac OS support when in "desk mode." I'd buy one day one! As these processors get faster and Mac OS more streamlined like iOS, the day could come when an iPad "Pro" could power 80%-90% of what most people do on an iPad and a Mac.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
More connectivity is a good thing . . .

Although I must admit the ubiquity of wifi means more ports are a lot less necessary these days.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Without labels, it seems like it would be very easy to mix up USB-C and Lightning ports. So I would be inclined to think that Apple will be making both ports of the same type. I could imagine them being either Lightning or USB-C... but if it's USB-C, then I would expect Apple to abandon Lightning entirely and just use USB-C for future iOS products.

Maybe they're dual charging ports, like on a Tesla. So you can plug into multiple outlets at once to maximize recharge speed.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
If it's coming out that late in the year, I wonder why it's rumored to have an A8X processor. Surely the A9/A9X would be in full production by then in time for the iPhone 6s.

I would guess it would have a A9 variant as well.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Aside from its larger size and tweaked design elements to accommodate new features, the iPad Pro is said to look similar to the existing iPad Air and iPad mini. It's rumored to have a high-resolution display between 12.2 and 12.9 inches, an A8X processor, 2GB RAM, and Touch ID. It may also support an

Sounds like another iPad 3 in the making. Looks like i'll wait for the next version. :p

LEGOApple

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
iPad Pro could be good for photography or graphic designers with best Wacom you can buy. I'm tired of carry my Wacom equipments and cords. Only if it has an amazing display and can't see any pixels is all I care, not numbers.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Some intriguing possibilities:

- iPad pro has responsive stylus support (at least with pressure sensitivity) and a tiny gap between the pixels and he surface of the screen.

I think that alone would be huge for graphic artists and designers. Actually I think it would be pretty big for various kinds of creative professionals. It would turn an iPad into a more expressive and precise tool.

- iPad pro gains the ability to run full OS X apps. This is a lot further afield. They'd essentially have to make UIKit (the iOS touch-optimized UI API) available on OS X. I'd wish they'd also be able to come up with some kind of UI bridge that would let existing OS X apps work half-decently with a touch interface with only minor changes (seems unlikely -- the key is it needs to be decent or there's no point and I don't know if there could really be a general way to do that.)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Two lightning ports? Why stop there. We're giving you a THIRD lightning port. You can now triple charge your iPad.
/s

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I really dislike that one macbook supports USB C, others support Thunderbolt and the Ipad has lightning.

I really wish Apple would pick one and get all products over. I had thought when it came out with Thunderbolt that it would standardize on that, but then it came out with lightning. And now I potentially have to carry multiple cables.

Stop the madness. ONE STANDARD and ONE CABLE FOR ALL.

Okay sorry I screamed but this is just sill of Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.